Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guardian: ‘Credible evidence’ India behind alleged assassination of Sikh leader, says Trudeau

Cooked Crack

Justin Trudeau has said there is “credible evidence” India is responsible for the alleged assassination of Hardeep Singh Nijjar, a prominent Canadian Sikh leader. 

The allegations from Canada’s prime minister is likely to further strain relations between the two nations. On Monday, Trudeau told the House of Commons of Canada that, in recent weeks, national security authorities had been probing allegations that New Delhi was behind a state-sponsored assassination. 

He said he raised the issue “in no uncertain terms” with the Indian prime minister, Narendra Modi, when the two met briefly in New Delhi last week for the G20 summit. 

“Any involvement of a foreign government in the killing of a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil is an unacceptable violation of our sovereignty,” he said. “Canada is a rule of law country, the protection of our citizens in defence of our sovereignty are fundamental.

In June, Nijjar was shot and killed in front of the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara in Surrey, British Columbia. He was a strong advocate of the Khalistan movement, which seeks an independent homeland for Sikhs in India’s Punjab region. 

New Delhi had previously alleged Nijjar was part of a plan to murder a Hindu priest in Punjab, offering a bounty of nearly $12,000 (£9,688). The fatal shooting of Nijjar led many to accuse India of playing a role in the killing. 

“Today, the prime minister of Canada has publicly said what Sikhs in Canada have known for decades – India actively targets Sikhs in Canada,” said the World Sikh Organisation. 

The foreign affairs minister, Mélanie Joly, said Canada would expel a “key Indian diplomat” in the coming days and “expects India to fully collaborate with us and ultimately to get to the bottom of this”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/18/credible-evidence-india-behind-killing-of-canadian-sikh-leader-says-trudeau?CMP=twt_a-world_b-gdnworld

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I really hope the FBI is paying attention to the growing threat of Hindutva in the US....this **** is serious

Can you explain more as to why it is a growing threat? I seriously would like to know. Not being smart here.

I feel like a lot of religions are threats in America and I’m not really sure if this one is more serious than others.

Just now, Fan since a Fetus said:

Can you explain more as to why it is a growing threat? I seriously would like to know. Not being smart here.

I feel like a lot of religions are threats in America and I’m not really sure if this one is more serious than others.

Think of it this way: Modi = Trump. Modi's party = BJP; BJP = MAGA Republicans. Hindutva = Proud Boys.

Hindutva supporters in the US are growing in numbers and they're bringing their backwards ass politics to the US. They enjoy targeting Sikh events because they don't agree with the religion.

As an example, here's what is happening in Australia with Hindutva:

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/people/article/3153355/why-did-hindu-who-attacked-sikhs-australia-receive-heros-welcome

Why did a Hindu who attacked Sikhs in Australia receive a hero’s welcome in Modi’s India?

An international student asked to leave Australia after allegedly assaulting members of the Sikh community received a hero’s welcome on his return to India.

A roadshow greeted Vishal Jood, 24, “an unlawful non-citizen” of Australia as he arrived back in his home state of Haryana on Sunday. A fleet of cars drove through the streets of the city of Karnal in celebration, while a garlanded Jood appeared from a sunroof, waving the Indian flag and smiling.

To foreign eyes, such a welcome – for a convicted criminal fresh from serving six months of a one-year jail term – might seem jarring. But to seasoned observers of the India of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), the twisted logic behind it was all too recognisable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Think of it this way: Modi = Trump. Modi's party = BJP; BJP = MAGA Republicans. Hindutva = Proud Boys.

Hindutva supporters in the US are growing in numbers and they're bringing their backwards ass politics to the US. They enjoy targeting Sikh events because they don't agree with the religion.

As an example, here's what is happening in Australia with Hindutva:

Interesting and thank you for the reply. I knew about Modi and Trump. 

I see they are even trying to push Christians out of India. I have friends from India that I’m going to see in a couple of weeks and I’ll have to ask them about their perspective. They are Hindu and Christian. Been married forever and love each other. If I recall, their families weren’t too happy about their marriage. He’s from upper class and she’s from lower, not sure what the designation or name they call it is.

I see that our politicians have been meeting with these people at the disgust of others. I’ll read up more on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Interesting and thank you for the reply. I knew about Modi and Trump. 

I see they are even trying to push Christians out of India. I have friends from India that I’m going to see in a couple of weeks and I’ll have to ask them about their perspective. They are Hindu and Christian. Been married forever and love each other. If I recall, their families weren’t too happy about their marriage. He’s from upper class and she’s from lower, not sure what the designation or name they call it is.

I see that our politicians have been meeting with these people at the disgust of others. I’ll read up more on it.

Caste. Don’t know how much that is still there but basically you stay within your class.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since 2020, an opaque organization calling itself the Disinfo Lab has published lengthy dossiers and social media posts claiming to reveal the personal relationships and funding sources behind U.S.-based critics of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi. 

The Disinfo Lab has combined fact-based research with unsubstantiated claims to paint U.S. government figures, researchers, humanitarian groups and Indian American rights activists as part of a conspiracy, purportedly led by global Islamic groups and billionaire George Soros, to undermine India. 

In each instance, these allegations have gone viral on Indian social media after they were amplified by pro-Modi influencers, who at times used the group’s findings to validate their own positions. Its reports have been cited by Indian officials on television and presented on Capitol Hill. Despite its reach, the Disinfo Lab does not disclose its affiliation, describing itself on its website as a “separate legal entity” that seeks to offer “completely unbiased research.” 

In reality, however, the Disinfo Lab was set up and is run by an Indian intelligence officer to research and discredit foreign critics of the Modi government, according to three people who worked in the organization or were familiar with its establishment. While claiming that it aimed to uncover anti-India disinformation, the Disinfo Lab itself is running a covert influence operation, they said.