Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

UK fans with gamepass

Welsh Redskin

Morning all,

I assume some of the UK fans on here are Gamepass subscribers. How are you guys finding the move to this new DAZN platform? So far it's a mess in my view. For example no downloads for offline viewing? 

I thought the App worked really well last year. DAZN ate charging the same but it seems the product is not as good? 

I also don't watch it a lot in the off season, so I'll check it out and get back to you.

Another question for my fellow UK fans, did anyone try to get tickets for any of the London games?

I tried to get tickets for the Bils game and on Thursday was put in a virtual waiting room. At 12pm they allocated everyone a random place in the queue. I was given number 326,459. I whatsApped my mate who was also trying and he said that I was about 70,000 in front of him. Suffice to say, neither of us got any tickets.

<Edit> This should probably go in a different forum as it's not directly about the Commanders.

Edited by London Kev

• 2 months later...

So, how did you guys get on with last night's game?

Friday evening viewing for me so not the live game. Major grievances were, starting with the setup of mobile app casting to TV via chromecast:

1. DAZN assumes I want to watch a 5 minute highlight reel. Took me a little while to work out how to watch the full game. 

2. Day after broadcast retains adverts and all. So have a choice between 5 minute highlight reel, 40 minute condensed version (OK in a pinch, but always felt like something was missing for me), or 4.5 hour broadcast. With the old app, I'd get the full game, trimmed to a 2-2.5 hour broadcast 

3. App seems very sensitive, was very easy to completely shut down the stream, having to start again.

4. With this setup, could only jump backwards in the broadcast using an on-screen button, not forwards. I could jump forwards using the time bar, but on a phone the accuracy is so poor that skipping a 2 minute commercial break is near on impossible. 

Gave up with that setup and used a laptop connected to TV via hdmi cable. Easier to control, with 30s time jumps in both directions. However, DAZN assumes I want the box score and game stats and quite happily displays these prominently on the screen. Complete PITA trying to switch from 5 minute highlight to full game without giving away the outcome of the game, but I managed.

Once in full screen with this setup it was a significantly improved experience, although not smooth at times. Easy enough to control, but would rather not have to navigate the adverts myself on a completed game one day later when I didn't used to have this inconvenience. 

I'll explore other options for setup and  there are probably ways to change the settings to avoid unwanted spoilers. But first impression: really not pleased.

On 6/24/2023 at 11:21 PM, London Kev said:

I tried to get tickets for the Bils game and on Thursday was put in a virtual waiting room. At 12pm they allocated everyone a random place in the queue. I was given number 326,459. I whatsApped my mate who was also trying and he said that I was about 70,000 in front of him. Suffice to say, neither of us got any 

There I was bemoaning my luck for being #91,174 in the queue. Not really a lot of difference in outcome between that and 326,459 though!

• Thumb up 1

DAZN has improved since the summer. Trying to watch the Commanders during the Pre-Season was hard work. No US adverts just a mind numbing DAZN logo spinning. It was hard to stay awake sometimes. That has been changed and we have the normal US feed. I still find the app slightly awkward to navigate. The biggest issue for me is no downloads. I used to download a bunch of games for the weekly commutes. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, my_friend_goo said:

Gave up with that setup and used a laptop connected to TV via hdmi cable. Easier to control, with 30s time jumps in both directions. However, DAZN assumes I want the box score and game stats and quite happily displays these prominently on the screen. Complete PITA trying to switch from 5 minute highlight to full game without giving away the outcome of the game, but I managed.

Once in full screen with this setup it was a significantly improved experience, although not smooth at times. Easy enough to control, but would rather not have to navigate the adverts myself on a completed game one day later when I didn't used to have this inconvenience. 

I'll explore other options for setup and  there are probably ways to change the settings to avoid unwanted spoilers. But first impression: really not pleased.

Yeah that's how I use it. Watched all the pre-season games that way. Would have been nice to be able to download the app on the tv but that doesn't seem to be an option. I'm not getting ads but the stupid frozen screen they use instead is more annoying I think. I hope you've found the option to turn off the game scores now and I see there is a literal spoilers option at the bottom which needs to be off.

What's with the stats screen that's suddenly appeared though? That's going to give the scores away, what are they thinking?! I'm guessing that's what you were referring to.

2 hours ago, UK Skins said:

Yeah that's how I use it. Watched all the pre-season games that way. Would have been nice to be able to download the app on the tv but that doesn't seem to be an option. I'm not getting ads but the stupid frozen screen they use instead is more annoying I think. I hope you've found the option to turn off the game scores now and I see there is a literal spoilers option at the bottom which needs to be off.

What's with the stats screen that's suddenly appeared though? That's going to give the scores away, what are they thinking?! I'm guessing that's what you were referring to.

Tried seeing if things were any better on the tablet than phone, but not really. I've not long moved and at some point I suspect I'll get a smart TV and put the old one in the children's play room. Current one must be about 13 years old, but it works fine and I've never been one for throwing stuff out that works. Seems some, but not all, smart TVs can get the app. Meanwhile, my best solution turns out to be to use my son's xbox, better app on there and I can skip/ffwd using the controller.

Stats screen would be what I was referring to. As soon as I saw stats, I figured it would have the score there, so blocked it out until I had full screen on. Maybe not, but still high spoiler risk. I did see the spoiler setting, but thankfully it was already set to off.

Anybody had experience with starting a live game in progress from the beginning? I typically don't get to sit down until 7-7.30 to watch on a Sunday. While not perfect, it did the job fine on the old app.

The stream was fine to be fair.  (Watched on the PS5 app and then a fire stick after i was banished to the kitchen. Picture was in HD and ran smooth.) The lack of an option to start from the beginning is a pain but I think it's being sorted. 

Much better with US adverts although I still had a few random DAZN ads scattered through. 

It's not as good as last year (still no downloads!!) But it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. 

I watched it using the DAZN app on my Apple TV and it worked flawlessly.  It looked a better quality stream (higher bit rate) compared to what we had previous years.  When gamepass changed providers in the past the first couple of games have always been a bit flaky but the transition to DAZN has gone well so far.

Overall the 'on the day' experience was good.  Apart from the awful UK adverts.

But where i am noticing a definite downgrade is not being able to watch full games the next day.

I only have the option of 'most of the' Game in Forty.   5 minutes of highlights or Coaches Film.   

The Denver / Vegas game jumped from the 2 minute warning to game over!

But agree picture quality is good.