Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Daily Beast: They Couldn’t Turn the A/C to 68 at Their Swanky Hamptons Rental. Now They’re Suing.

Cooked Crack

A Manhattan attorney and his dentist friend have filed a lawsuit in New York State Supreme Court, arguing that their summer vacation was ruined when the owners of their $10,000 Hamptons rental prevented them from lowering the air conditioner by two degrees. 

The plaintiffs, Toby Cohen and Jonathan Neman, say not only was their safety threatened during their stay, but they were treated like “squatters” in the “uninhabitable” luxury home—which they retroactively assailed as an illegal rental. 

The descent into the gilded battle royal began on July 28, when Neman and Cohen signed a rental agreement for a two-week holiday for themselves and their families in Agnese Melbarde and Edouard Gass’ East Quogue, New York, home. The price would be $10,000 for the 14-day period, running from Aug. 22 to Sept. 5, according to the lawsuit, which was filed Thursday and first obtained by The Daily Beast. 

But, the filing states, the group was “forced to endure continuous discomfort for the duration” of their holiday. When they complained, Melbarde and Gass didn’t rectify the issue, but told their renters to “suck it up and deal,” the suit alleges. 

The problem? A thermostat set to 70 degrees instead of 68.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/they-couldnt-turn-the-ac-to-68-at-their-swanky-hamptons-rental-now-theyre-suing

70 degrees? I agree. That's damn near uninhabitable!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

Jfc mine is at 78 in the summer. ****ing soft east coasters. 

Yeah...I only turn mine down at night to sleep comfortably.  The rest of the day (few hours that I'm awake and home) is like 77.  Haven't had an elec bill over a hundred in a few years. 

And I'm in GA.  (I got that dehumidifier for a reason.)

• Like 1