Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vice: 28 Freight Rail Workers Tell Us What They Want You to Know About Their Lives

Fergasun

Vice: 28 Freight Rail Workers Tell Us What They Want You to Know About Their Lives

By the end of my 10 years it didn't matter how much money they threw at me. That job changed me.  I didn't feel like I was even a person anymore. I'd lost my hobbies, my friends, and my fiancée.  More importantly I'd lost any reason to live.

The best thing to tell the American public is we have so little time off now that we have to parent our children via FaceTime. In order to discipline my children or console them when they’re upset about something or why they never see me, I have to do it via FaceTime. To go to a sporting event, I have to go via FaceTime.  As a patriot and someone who really cares about this country, I do not want to strike. But we’re past the point of being polite.

I would like the general public to know that after working for 15 years I only get 30 days off each year. Every other day of the year if I'm not physically working I am subject to call and feel like a prisoner at times. As it is now this job consumes your life, what we want is fair treatment and an improved quality of life.

• Like 1