Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

If Rodgers goes to Denver does Carr become available? The Radiers will not be winning anything the next two year and probably don't want to pay him?

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I haven't been up on the latest on Watson but the last time I read information on the case, which is months ago, it seemed like there was a good case to be made that there was some suspicious coordinating going on behind the scenes, now that doesn't negate the initially accusations or charges necessarily, just that all the additional things piling up might be questionable.  The problem is do you take the chance as a front office that this mucks up the original charge enough that the entire things get tossed because even if the guy is only found guilty of a couple charges it could still destroy any chance he has of ever playing again.    I am sure there is so much being looked into behind the scenes about this whole situation that the public is at least 20 steps behind on real verified information so I would hope if that trade is attempted, the Commanders front office knows something the rest of us don't. 

Hard to say. Until the criminal stuff is cleared up you can't make that trade. 

• Like 1

If we take Willis, everyone is comfortable having a 3 or 4 year plan for him like the Bills had for Josh Allen? Meaning passing on every QB for the next few years. Because taking Willis means you know that he needs time (Paulsen says two years, Allen didn't come into his own until year 3) and you are willing to give him that time.

If you make that commitment to him when everyone is saying he needs to go to a patient team, then you can't bail on him after year 1 if he is terrible. Everyone has said he is the LEAST pro ready QB and needs the most time, so if you take him you do so with the knowledge and understanding that everyone may have to practice years of patience and pass on other good QB prospects.

Edited by VirginiaVibes

4 hours ago, moondog said:

Just draft Malik Willis. Hopefully it works out. Most likely won’t. 

This is pretty much the only realistic path to any sort of true contending team here within the next few years. 

4 minutes ago, VirginiaVibes said:

If we take Willis, everyone is comfortable having a 3 or 4 year plan for him like the Bills had for Josh Allen? Meaning passing on every QB for the next few years. Because taking Willis means you know that he needs time (Paulsen says two years, Allen didn't come into his own until year 3) and you are willing to give him that time.

If you make that commitment to him when everyone is saying he needs to go to a patient team, then you can't bail on him after year 1 if he is terrible. Everyone has said he is the LEAST pro ready QB and needs the most time, so if you take him you do so with the knowledge and understanding that everyone may have to practice years of patience and pass on other good QB prospects.

He’s a bust. Get him, Ron and the Martys out of town if that’s the plan. No one has time for 3 years for a project from Liberty. Screw that.  And if that is the plan, they will then buy into the smokescreen hype and trade up to get him. Ron deserves to never coach again if that’s his move. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, VirginiaVibes said:

If we take Willis, everyone is comfortable having a 3 or 4 year plan for him like the Bills had for Josh Allen?

We have 2 years to find out where things are going. The 3 or 4 year timeframe doesnt exist right now 

If they pick Willis they will still bring in vet. Willis could play wildcat right now along with being a gadget player. I don't think they will pick Willis.  They are in win now mod.

Hopefully, Tuesdays this stuff starts moving.

Edited by Redskins 2021

1 minute ago, zCommander said:

But if Willis and Pickett are gone who do you go with at 11? Do you even go with a QB?

And if they are there that tells you how much we are reaching. Everyone knows we want a QB. So if they don’t jump us that means they don’t value the guys. Just like they didn’t when we traded the pick for Jason Campbell before the draft instead of during. Same clown show if that’s the move .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

He’s a bust. Get him, Ron and the Martys out of town if that’s the plan. No one has time for 3 years for a project from Liberty. Screw that.  And if that is the plan, they will then buy into the smokescreen hype and trade up to get him. Ron deserves to never coach again if that’s his move. 

You’re declaring a QB who hasn’t even been drafted yet a bust?

I mean, I have heard of early evaluations, but that’s a bit nuts.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Something has to give with Watson before March 20th if Texan's want to avoid guarantees.

https://www.battleredblog.com/real-actual-thought-provoking-houston-texans-analysis/2022/1/18/22889182/the-current-state-of-the-texans-2022-salary-cap

Well, the potential Deshaun Watson trade is a keystone piece in and of itself. Getting another team to take on Watson’s contract as it stands would be ideal. Watson’s fully guaranteed money kicks in on March 20th, which will hit Houston’s cap for $35 million if they haven’t traded Watson by then.

Great find, HigSkin.  Just like the 9ers are responsible for so much of the millions they owe Jimmy G. and the Colts Wentz, I wonder how this plays out after March 20th though if he's still on the team?  

This was in the article you found and thank you for finding it.  :) I hope you didn't mind that I interjected in.  Again, great job finding this info.  :)  

Watson’s fully guaranteed money kicks in on March 20th, which will hit Houston’s cap for $35 million if they haven't traded Watson by then $5 million isn’t much of a difference, but every little bit helps. Preferably, the Texans trade Watson before then and take a smaller hit for it, more likely in the $10 mil range.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zCommander said:

But if Willis and Pickett are gone who do you go with at 11? Do you even go with a QB?

McShay said he talked to several NFL personnel who have Corral rated higher than both. 

But either way, if you take Willis knowing he needs time you can't bail after 1 or 2 seasons. Because then why even draft him expecting something else?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watson makes us an instant contender. And probably a super bowl contender for the better part of the next decade. 

Willis could be that caliber for a lot cheaper. But, massive risk as well. 

Send Houston 11, 2023 1st and 2024 1st for Watson. Add a WR, LB, OL in 2-3-4. Have an absolutely explosive offense and maybe have enough $$ to bring in someone on defense in FA. 

Watson leading this offense is Top 12. Defense could easily get back to Top 10 with our schedule. Those 2 in tandem is a recipe for a 11+ win season out of the gate. 

also, if Pickett and Willis are gone I’m 100% on Corral at #11. Those 3 are only guys I’d touch at QB at 11. Probably Willis-Corral-Pickett in order 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Watson makes us an instant contender. And probably a super bowl contender for the better part of the next decade. 

Willis could be that caliber for a lot cheaper. But, massive risk as well. 

Send Houston 11, 2023 1st and 2024 1st for Watson. Add a WR, LB, OL in 2-3-4. Have an absolutely explosive offense and maybe have enough $$ to bring in someone on defense in FA. 

Watson leading this offense is Top 12. Defense could easily get back to Top 10 with our schedule. Those 2 in tandem is a recipe for a 11+ win season out of the gate. 

also, if Pickett and Willis are gone I’m 100% on Corral at #11. Those 3 are only guys I’d touch at QB at 11. Probably Willis-Corral-Pickett in order 

Watson is proven, is in his prime and solves our biggest issue for  a decade. Fire up Redskins One to Houston with a pair of on board masseuses and make sure our franchise QB is comfortable on his flight back to his new home. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1

Where there’s smoke … and this makes a ton of sense. FWIW. I think we can outbid Carolina since they don’t have picks after #6 until Round 4. We could beat them by adding 42. 

Not to mention Watson would probably prefer us to Carolina … at least in immediate upside. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, VirginiaVibes said:

Catching up on some Ron interviews from the combine - I missed his media interviews but what he says at 10:27 about this QB class is interesting

Who can do both?  Malik Willis.  Your thoughts on what he was saying, VV?

Deshaun Watson's injury history. Tore both his left and right ACLs amongst other semiserious injuries.  You want to ante up 3 1st for him plus the stuff that's going on with him.  Not me. 

Deshaun Watson - Injury History (draftsharks.com)

Injury History

Date League Injury Details
Nov 20, 2014 Non-NFL Knee ACL Tear Grade 3 Watson suffered a torn left ACL in practice. He played with the injury vs. South Carolina on 11/29/14.
Oct 11, 2014 Non-NFL Hand Finger Fracture Watson sat out 3 games before returning vs. Georgia Tech.
Apr 7, 2014 Non-NFL Shoulder Clavicle Fracture Watson sustained a slight crack in his collarbone during a spring scrimmage.
Nov 15, 2014 Non-NFL Knee LCL Sprain Grade 2 Watson suffered a sprained left LCL vs. Georgia Tech.
Nov 2, 2017 NFL Knee ACL Tear Grade 3 Watson tore his right ACL in practice.
Dec 25, 2019 NFL Back Lower Lumbar Sprain Watson with back injury was listed as limited participant ahead of the Week 17 game against the Titans. He was active and served as the backup to AJ McCarron in the contest

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Who can do both?  Malik Willis.  Your thoughts on what he was saying, VV?

I think he was saying you have guys who are pocket passers (Strong obviously) and guys who are primarily athletic (Willis obviously) and ideally they wanted someone to do both which I assume is some variation Pickett, Corral, Howell, maybe Ridder. 

There is nobody who is more of a standard pocket passer than Strong and Willis is the most atheltic. So him saying he wants kind of the best of both worlds was interesting. 

Just now, VirginiaVibes said:

I think he was saying you have guys who are pocket passers (Strong obviously) and guys who are primarily athletic (Willis obviously) and ideally they wanted someone to do both which I assume is some variation Pickett, Corral, Howell, maybe Ridder. 

There is nobody who is more of a standard pocket passer than Strong and Willis is the most atheltic. So him saying he wants kind of the best of both worlds was interesting. 

The both of best seems to be Willis.  Has the rocket arm, burners to run plus he scored a 32 on his Wonderlic.  What's not to like?  When I heard him say what you stated took me to Willis.