Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFF Rankings: Top 32 players in each position (so far) - updated w/ unit rankings (WRs, Secondary, and RBs)

9 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Updated the OP with O-Line, D-Line, and linebacker unit rankings.

Just ranked 11th for Secondaries:

11. WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

Washington is all-in on its defensive line, but the team also happened to field one of the better coverage units in the NFL in 2020, ending the year ranked sixth in team coverage grade. The addition of William Jackson III in free agency should only bolster the group, and it gives defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio some flexibility to implement more man coverage. Jackson’s 80.0 coverage grade in man-to-man concepts since 2017 is over 15 points higher than Ronald Darby’s coverage grade on the same subset of plays (64.3). 

• Like 1

I'm not convinced that Jackson is as good as PFF says.  But he should at least produce like a good starter in this D. McCain is arguably coming off a better season and could be the most impactful new addition given his leadership and ability to turn the ball over from deep zone duty.

St Juste is the most exciting addition to the secondary for me, plus I think getting Collins back can make a big impact.  St Juste gets us unique size in the group.  Should now be able to match up with a team who has a big outside receiver and keep Curl on big slots.  And with Collins and Jamin Davis, those are bodies to man cover tight ends too.  And Forrest has been a wild card who has been getting turnovers in the camps.  If he pans out, then it will be like we are adding five good players to the secondary in a single off-season while only losing Darby and Moreau.  Net +3 takes us to at least 10 good roster options for the DB group.

I'm also interested to see how the Apke nickel defender experiment ends up.  That would be like finding money in your pocket after you wash your clothes if he ends up being a decent slot defender.  And a switch to cover 1/0 heavy schemes could suit him since his instincts and tackling are bad but he's fast and has a motor.

I think the secondary is going to be one of the deepest and most excellent secondaries in the NFL.  With that position group, quantity over quality is what really matters since it's the weak links that break you.  They should be awesome in tandem with the front and we have, and I am very bullish on the D as a result.

• Like 4

• Califan007 The Constipated changed the title to PFF Rankings: Top 32 players in each position (so far) - updated w/ unit rankings (WRs, Secondary, and RBs)
47 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Also, note that our WR corps is ranked 19th...our RB unit is ranked 19th...our QB is ranked 19th (lol).....and the OLine is ranked 16th.

So the offense is pretty much ranked the same across the board.

A 19th ranked offense would still be a major improvement over last year. I think we’ll be better than that though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

You've been on top of this hill for years. Guess we'll see if you are right. Most folks want the "shut down" corners instead.

Motion and spread have changed coverage.  Good offenses concede that their WRs won't beat good corners enough if you give them the exact same alignments and looks all game, so they move their WRs around a lot.  That means all of your DBs are going to end up covering each of their weapons during the game, which means you need talent and versatility throughout your secondary.

• Like 2

To me, DaRon Payne is a freak. He stands out a lot in games.  I think he is better then Allen but its very close.  Having said that, I think Ion comes on strong this year as well and I still think we haven't seen the best from Settle.  I really feel like Payne and Allen push Settle to be the best version of himself and that's a great thing!  

Im also kind of wondering how the have Young over Sweat.  Sweat was really really good last year and yes Young was impressive but; I do feel like Young was bothered by that injury early in the year were as Sweat was ballin from day 1.  From a production stand point Sweat did more I believe.  Im highly aware that Young should overtake him this year, but Hell Sweat could get better too right?

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Motion and spread have changed coverage.  Good offenses concede that their WRs won't beat good corners enough if you give them the exact same alignments and looks all game, so they move their WRs around a lot.  That means all of your DBs are going to end up covering each of their weapons during the game, which means you need talent and versatility throughout your secondary.

It makes complete sense and with the horses we have back there now all being versatile, it should really close a lot down for opposing offenses and help the Dline get home.

McCain, Fuller, Apke all FS and CB

Two starting caliber SSs in Collins and Curl, Curl being better in coverage

Fuller and Moreland in the slot

WIII, Fuller, St Juste outside CBs

It's pretty wild how much we should be able to mix up coverages. Add in Hudson, Davis and Holcomb who are all solid coverage LBers.

Collins, Curl, Hudson, Fuller are all potential blitzers as well.

If our offense can start scoring early in games, instead of waiting for us to wear them out in the second half, we should win a lot on defense this year and early in games.

JDR is going to have a hell of a lot of fun.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If our offense can start scoring early in games, instead of waiting for us to wear them out in the second half, we should win a lot on defense this year and early in games.

JDR is going to have a hell of a lot of fun.

It's amazing how quickly the back seven came together for us.  Really just took two years to go from a weak group to one that looks like it could be excellent.  Chris Harris was a good hire.  And we've proved that you can find quality DBs outside of the first round and save those high picks for linemen.

Also amazing how we now have a rotation with four linebacker type players with low 4.5 speed or better.  That is a dramatic turnaround too and should hopefully lead to much better second level play.

I feel like we've done the work to build a dominant D and we don't really need any more pieces except to replace what gets lost via attrition.

The offense is what worries me and tempers my expectations.  Kind of feels like the only part of it that I really feel confident in is the new WR group of Samuel/McLaurin/Brown.  We're trying to build this pass happy vertical attack, and we got some receiving weapons for it, but nothing else feels really well built about it yet.  The future quality of our line is really dependent on Cosmi, Bates, and Charles all hitting their best case scenarios.  Quarterback is a wild card.  And the run game feels underpowered and thin.  We should be able to use Gibson more in the passing game to get the most from him, but you also have to limit his touches.

The offense needs some heavy building like we did for the D.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The offense needs some heavy building like we did for the D.

Very true, but it feels like they've temporarily addressed it and will be able to primarily use the draft to build it from here on out. 

Our offensive line is coming together pretty well too. I think Chase will be a great anchor for it down the road, regardless who ends up playing. It's certainly something solid to build on and I like the youth. 

The WR room went from 1 player and scrubs to a strength. I think Cam sticks, as does Milne because of Humphries injury history and returns. 

Thomas definitely proved me wrong at TE and I feel like Bates could be the prototypical TE in a few seasons. Reyes I'm not holding my breath.

RB I think very highly of Gibson and he shouldn't have to run into many walls this season. I like that they're emphasizing his pass catching more as well, because when you have 3 WRs running under 4.4 40's and a big armed QB, there is going to be a ton of stuff underneath and a 230lbs RB who also has 4.3 speed, catching the ball in the open with a head of speed is going to be a lot of fun.

I think the basement of our offense is .500 (or whatever that expression means with 17 games now), but the Boom is championship possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1