Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snyder possibly interviewing G.M. canidate while on the west coast

Lavarleap56

A day after Steve Spurrier's resignation left Washington in search of its fifth head coach in five years, Redskins officials are preparing to hit the road and start the interview process.

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder and vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato will fly to California this week, where they will interview two of the top three candidates on their list: ex-Giants head coach Jim Fassel and former Minnesota head coach Dennis Green.

Both of the Redskins' coaching interviews will take place in the Bay area, because Fassel is there watching his son's Boston College team play Colorado State in Wednesday night's San Francisco Bowl, and Green lives in the San Diego area and will fly north for an interview. The Redskins' third known candidate, Seattle defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes, has declined a request to interview until the Seahawks are eliminated from the playoffs.

Fassel likely will meet with Snyder and Cerrato on Friday, the day before he's scheduled to interview in Arizona for the Cardinals' vacant head coaching job. Green will meet with Washington on either Saturday or Sunday. Green, who interviewed with Arizona on Wednesday, was contacted by Snyder on Tuesday night, and the two already have talked several times by phone.

In addition to looking for a new head coach, league sources say the Redskins may be contemplating the possibility of adding Oakland senior assistant Bruce Allen to their front office, likely as team president. Allen, the son of Hall of Fame ex-Redskins head coach George Allen, is said to have grown frustrated with the turmoil that besets the Raiders organization these days, and would welcome a change of scenery.

Allen and Snyder have formed a strong friendship in recent years and are intrigued by the idea of working together. Two years ago, Snyder considered making a run at Allen when the Redskins were in the market for a general manager, but serious talks never materialized.

Allen, of course, is also in the Bay area, and could be contacted by Washington officials this weekend, although the Redskins' coaching search is believed to the team's first priority.

Green and Fassel could wind up competing with each other for as many as three of the NFL's seven head-coaching openings: Arizona, Washington and Oakland. Green interviewed with the Cardinals in Arizona on Wednesday, and Fassel is scheduled to meet with the Cardinals on Saturday. Both men also are on the Raiders' radar screen, although Oakland's history is for owner Al Davis to instead hire someone with no previous head-coaching experience.

With his knowledge of the NFC East, Fassel appears to be in the strongest position in Washington, although Rhodes can not be overlooked since he served as the Redskins defensive coordinator in 2000 and is well-respected by Snyder for his tough, disciplinarian style of coaching. The Redskins in the two-year Spurrier era were an undisciplined bunch, and Snyder is eager to address that problem with his next coaching hire.

Though the Redskins have yet to schedule an interview with any second-tier candidate, someone who could find their way onto that list is 49ers defensive coordinator Jim Mora Jr., who interviewed for Atlanta's head coaching job on Tuesday and has been asked to meet with Chicago general manager Jerry Angelo early next week about the Bears' vacancy.

For now, however, Washington officials are focusing foremost on candidates with previous NFL head-coaching experience, believing that path is the quickest way to end the team's four-year playoff drought. In Green and Fassel, the Redskins are starting with a pair of candidates who have combined to make 11 playoff trips in their 17 seasons as NFL head coaches. Green made eight of those playoff appearances in his 10 seasons in Minnesota (1992-2001).

"Nobody would walk in there and instantly restore credibility to their program faster than Denny Green,'' said Ravens head coach Brian Billick on Wednesday, of his former boss in Minnesota. "I would imagine he'd be a very attractive candidate for where Washington is right now.''

Both Fassel and Green are very interested in the Redskins job, but both are thought to be at least somewhat wary of Cerrato's role in the front office. Under Spurrier, Cerrato's say on personnel issues was equal to that of the head coach, with ties being broken by Snyder. Green and Fassel are likely to seek assurances of more direct control of the personnel decision making process, at least if the Redskins have no experienced general manager in place.

"The issue of how much personnel authority Vinny has must be dealt with in some way by Snyder if they're going to get the kind of experienced NFL head coach who can turn that situation around in Washington,'' said one league source, with deep knowledge of the Redskins' situation. "That's the first thing an experienced coaching candidate is going to want to know, 'How are things going to be different than the situation that has existed the past two years?' ''

In other hiring-season developments ...

• Chicago on Tuesday requested permission to interview both Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and 49ers defensive coordinator Jim Mora for its head coaching vacancy. The Ravens, who play host to Tennessee on Saturday in a first-round AFC playoff game, will make time for Nolan to interview with Angelo early next week, probably on Monday or Tuesday.

Mora also will interview with Angelo early next week. Mora plans to speak with Angelo on Friday to determine when he'll travel to Chicago for the interview. The Bears this week began their search by scheduling interviews with two other highly sought after candidates who are defensive coordinators: the Rams' Lovie Smith and the Patriots' Romeo Crennel.

• Oakland's coaching search is in its nascent stages, and no clear-cut favorite has emerged. In addition to Green and Fassel being potential candidates, others who might be interviewed by the Raiders include Dallas offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon and Dallas quarterbacks coach Sean Payton. Both come highly recommended by Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells, whose opinion carries considerable weight to Raiders owner Al Davis.

Some observers, however, feel that Davis will be more willing to hire an experienced head coach like Green or Fassel, given the debacle that this season turned into under second-year head coach Bill Callahan, who had never been a head coach before being hired in 2002.

Don Banks covers pro football for SI.com.

Originally posted by lavarleap56

Allen, the son of Hall of Fame ex-Redskins head coach George Allen, is said to have grown frustrated with the turmoil that besets the Raiders organization these days, and would welcome a change of scenery.

It's funny that a guy who has grown frustrated with his organization's turmoil would be interested in joining the Redskins. :) But hey, I would welcome him with open arms. It would be a nice move if he's given a legitimate say in personnel matters.

Very interesting story. I'd love to see Allen here. What is clear from this and other articles: you can expect a former HC to be coaching the Redskins, and probably in the short-term (unless of course more stable organizations looking for coaches snap them up first). So I guess you can curb the various assistants interviews, which is, I think, a shame, since there are some exciting prospects out there (and probably cheaper!). Again, you have Snyder overreacting to his latest mistake. (The guy's a drunken pendulum!) This "proven" moniker is way overrated, since the available "proven" trackrecord guys, all of them, have significant negatives as well. They may work out fine, but, given the strange world of Redskinland, they may crash and burn just as certainly. If Allen is indeed in the mix, it would be nice to get a coach Allen thinks highly of, and can work with -- in other words, get Allen on board first. (I have no idea what he thinks of Green or Fassel) Otherwise, it's a cart before the horse situation. A regular feature & ride at the Redskin Circus these last 5 years.

Originally posted by steve57

Very interesting story. I'd love to see Allen here. What is clear from this and other articles: you can expect a former HC to be coaching the Redskins, and probably in the short-term (unless of course more stable organizations looking for coaches snap them up first). So I guess you can curb the various assistants interviews, which is, I think, a shame, since there are some exciting prospects out there (and probably cheaper!). Again, you have Snyder overreacting to his latest mistake. (The guy's a drunken pendulum!) This "proven" moniker is way overrated, since the available "proven" trackrecord guys, all of them, have significant negatives as well. They may work out fine, but, given the strange world of Redskinland, they may crash and burn just as certainly. If Allen is indeed in the mix, it would be nice to get a coach Allen thinks highly of, and can work with -- in other words, get Allen on board first. (I have no idea what he thinks of Green or Fassel) Otherwise, it's a cart before the horse situation. A regular feature & ride at the Redskin Circus these last 5 years.

Absolutely right!:D

I love the idea of getting Bruce Allen on board. Well thought of throughout the league- would bring credibility to our front office. Also,since he grew up around Redskins Park,he automatically understands the tradition of our franchise which is a big plus in my opinion. Like someone mentioned earlier,get him on board first,then let him survey the candidates. Come on Dan,do the right thing here...

Originally posted by DieselPwr44

I love the idea of getting Bruce Allen on board. Well thought of throughout the league- would bring credibility to our front office. Also,since he grew up around Redskins Park,he automatically understands the tradition of our franchise which is a big plus in my opinion. Like someone mentioned earlier,get him on board first,then let him survey the candidates. Come on Dan,do the right thing here...

AGREE, AGREE, AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on Danny Boy. Do the right thing this time.

The funniest part about wanting to go after Bruce Allen is that in rejection of Cerrato, time and again, many of you scream out 5-11, as if it's Cerrato's problem. Oakland picks ahead of us and won less than us. Why is no one screaming 4-12 to reject Allen? Or, is it JUST Cerrato who is responsible for how his team is coached while no one else is?

I'd love Modrak. I think Pioli is a good guy. I like Allen. Any of these guys would further strengthen our front office situation. It's just striking watching people out there who think this is some sort of magic bullet when it's not.

This front office has definitely found some gems, and some flops, as far as players go. I think they have drafted/aquired some excellent talent despite the record.

Where the FO has failed repeatedly is in finding a coach that can work well with it.

When I aim my arrows at Vinny, it is for this reason only.

Blade,

Is it even fair to say the FO has repeatedly failed to find a coach that can work well with the talent and lack of talent it does have? I mean, Marty was the first hire and the front office was overrun. Marty was God. He did everything.

Spurrier was the second hire. Clearly we got players he said he had to have to succeed and he failed. So, yes, this is one case where the front office failed to get a coach who could work well with the talent it brought in even if that talent was ideal at least for the offense. And CERTAINLY we had BAD talent for the defensive system we chose to run. Perhaps the front office should have known that despite the positive statements Edwards made and gotten different guys or used a different grading structure during the offseason than we did.

But, I don't think the problem has become repeating yet. Not until THIS next guy fails in similar ways. If he does :). Even then, it's kind of hard to fault our group for Spurrier when the guy we have all had fevered dreams about -- Ron Wolf -- would have done the same thing if we'd gotten him.

Bruce Allen is not a magic bullet, I agree (nor is any "name"). And I was wondering just what function Cerrato would have if Allen was brought on board. Clearly, some sort of structural change would have to occur before Allen would even accept the job. And one that doesn't have wondering if Cerrato is Snyder's Rat in Waiting. Further, I'm not opposed to Cerrato being a GM, since I don't think he did a bad job last year (other than the Stephan Davis thing, which I think had more to do with Spurrier's vision than anything else). I just wish Snyder would fish or cut bait on the issue of a GM. But given a straight up choice between Allen and Cerrato, I'd take Allen. Take a 5 year snap shot of the two organizations, rather than the one year cave-in that occured for the Grey Raiders this year. One plus: Allen's experience in working with a difficult owner, and still taking part in a Super Bowl drive.

Originally posted by Art

The funniest part about wanting to go after Bruce Allen is that in rejection of Cerrato, time and again, many of you scream out 5-11, as if it's Cerrato's problem. Oakland picks ahead of us and won less than us. Why is no one screaming 4-12 to reject Allen? Or, is it JUST Cerrato who is responsible for how his team is coached while no one else is?

I'd love Modrak. I think Pioli is a good guy. I like Allen. Any of these guys would further strengthen our front office situation. It's just striking watching people out there who think this is some sort of magic bullet when it's not.

My thoughts too.

Also, if Denny Green and Fassell are concerned about power sharing with Cerrato how would hiring a true GM in Allen make this more palatable?

If Allen is brought on board Cerrato's function would retreat down to what it was under Mendes presumably. That is if he even could survive. He'd be the chief scout, essentially, with less influence. This last offseason as this article outlines, Cerrato's role was chief. He and the coach decided personnel decisions equally and Snyder involved himself when there was a disagreement.

Why would you take a five year snapshot of the organizations when Cerrato hasn't BEEN part of the organization in a decision making process for five years? Two years it seems. In 2000 when we had a great offseason and existing players failed to make the thing work. And last year when we had a strong offseason and improved the team, only to watch us fail.

Oakland is an interesting team. I don't know that I like the veteran feel of it and I don't know that Allen is responsible for it. If he is, I don't believe he's the guy I'd want.

Originally posted by JimboDaMan

My thoughts too.

Also, if Denny Green and Fassell are concerned about power sharing with Cerrato how would hiring a true GM in Allen make this more palatable?

DING Jimbo. Someone else gets it. Thank you.

So, the catch with hiring an established coach like Green or Fassel is that they almost certainly will want some level of control over personnel. Perhaps only from August to January, but they will want to be the decision maker in some way. Everyone screams and hollers that this is a GOOD idea because ABC is in effect. Anybody but Cerrrato.

Then, the same people CHEER whenever a possible GM type candidate comes into vision. Yes. Let's do that. Again, ABC. Anybody but Cerrato. It's easy. But, if we hire a legitimate, strong, GM, we're going to essentially NIX hiring a legitimate, strong head coach like Green or Fassel at this point.

The Raiders bet everything on 2002 and got really close.

Most of knew they wouldn't go back as soon as their older players started to drop like flies.

Bruce Allen is

#1. Well respected around the league

#2, Has a personal relationship with the Skins organization

and remember, we did them a favor my releasing Deion....it wasn't our fault Marty and the Chargers **** blocked them.

Originally posted by Art

Blade,

Is it even fair to say the FO has repeatedly failed to find a coach that can work well with the talent and lack of talent it does have? I mean, Marty was the first hire and the front office was overrun. Marty was God. He did everything.

Spurrier was the second hire. Clearly we got players he said he had to have to succeed and he failed. So, yes, this is one case where the front office failed to get a coach who could work well with the talent it brought in even if that talent was ideal at least for the offense. And CERTAINLY we had BAD talent for the defensive system we chose to run. Perhaps the front office should have known that despite the positive statements Edwards made and gotten different guys or used a different grading structure during the offseason than we did.

But, I don't think the problem has become repeating yet. Not until THIS next guy fails in similar ways. If he does :). Even then, it's kind of hard to fault our group for Spurrier when the guy we have all had fevered dreams about -- Ron Wolf -- would have done the same thing if we'd gotten him.

Is it fair? Perhaps not, but thus far the FO is 0-2 (0-3 if you include Robiske).

I dont fault them for the Spurrier hire... I really thought he would be the next JJ. But in working with SOS they over-ruled him on certain personel issues that in retrospect they probably should not have. Regardless, he probably would have wanted out even if they hadnt. SOS's heart was not into this and had not been for a while.

I sincerely hope you are right in saying that the problem is not a repeating one... but the trend has started despite the limited sample numbers. I have enourmous faith that Snyder will *eventually* get it right but I fear that it will take a significant paradigm shift in how he views his role in the organization.

I just hope that the problem does not need any more repeats before it gets fixed.

I may be in the minority here, but if Snyder wants to, "get it right" he should take into the consideration of bringing in a GM such as Allen and then allow that individual to hire a coach such as Crennel or Weiss who has NFL experience as an assistant in this league.

Over the last few seasons, the team has went the route of hiring the hot college prospect, (Spurrier) and the retread, (Schottenheimer) and neither situation has been successful to say the least.

The team needs someone who is hungry, passionate and devoted towards catapulting this franchise from the the outhouse to the penthouse of NFL success. I just personally think that a hire such as Fassel, Green or even Rhodes isn't going to accomplish this.

to me it doesn't make a huge diff. if we hire a new "GM", because snyder has already decided to pass up the best two available candidates for HC: Weiss and Crennell. after the SOS experiment went horribly wrong he has decided on only hiring a new HC that has previous experience. another short-sighted move by the DAN.

after posting that i just read the above; right on bro!

I believe the problem with Cerrato is trust and respect. He lacks these around the league. I believe Fassel and Green would feel more comfortable with Allen. Much the distrust for Cerrato could be his tendancy to have his nose up Snyders butt.

As a coach I wouldn't want a FO guy, who is a yes man, to have

equal say on personnel. I believe during the Cooke/Beathard/Gibbs era that Beathard drafted the players, but

Gibbs and his coaches decided who would stay.

Think of how long you've been in your job. What if your boss brought in a relative that lacked the experience you have. The

Boss then gives this kid equal power to you. Would you be happy?

Then in a situation like this (as with Cerrato) there is the perception of power. I believe this is part of the Cerrato problem.

Coaches perceive him as having a greater amount of authority than they do. Again...in any organization you how a chain of command and authority. There is also a perceived chain of authority. In most companies, the boss's secretary is perceived to

have a lot of authority because she(he) can determine who gets

to see the boss. Again, I say Cerrato's relationship with Snyder

is what causes the distrust.

I say regardless of GM or no GM, the Cerrato authority issued needs to be addressed. I feel we need to hire a coach and give him the tools (players) he feels he needs to succeed. Don't give

the coach GM duties, but let him have final say over his roster.

That is what Gibbs enjoyed.

Archived