Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darrell Russell supporters...own up.

Larry Brown #43

A more telling facet about Russell is LaVar's response to a query regarding this issue:

"Who?"

in my mind this was a message that D Russ has not in fact won over many of the hearts and minds in the locker room.

I don't think he will be back.

My point on this, Even Madder is if we sign him cheap, even me, a guy who likes Russell's style of play doesn't believe he deserves a big contract or even a medium contract. As for has he shown himself to be getting into shape, he looks to be in better shape at times than the guys we have on the field, but of course we don't get to see much of him. When the defense is on the field for 45 minutes a game and we see him for 5 minutes, we're not getting a good look at a player.

Russell is being punished for the final game of the season for coming later, he's inactive for the game. He came late to the Raiders practices all of the time, he was never punished by them. Maybe this is what he needs, to be slapped on the wrist like a small child when they do something wrong and say, no that's not good, you haven't earned that cookie.

I do believe that if we can sign him to a cheap contract, and yes with incentives, that Russell with a full offseason of training can get back to the player he was. Whether it's with the Redskins or it's with another team, that will depend on one fan of the Washington Redskins, Mr. Daniel Snyder, not me, not you, not anyone on this board.

Original take by Dr. D

A more telling facet about Russell is LaVar's response to a query regarding this issue:

"Who?"

in my mind this was a message that D Russ has not in fact won over many of the hearts and minds in the locker room.

I don't think he will be back.

Most convincing post so far... :cheers:

Russell is the one guy on our roster right now who would certainly have the potential to SOLVE our problems on the interior line. In fact, of the people available in free agency and the draft, Russell may be the most talented, greatest potential available.

If he returns to form, losing him would be a terrible thing. I'm GLAD he was late though. I'm glad he was suspended. He's got to be held to a very small rope. He's NOT done a thing here. He's not ready to play football yet and needs an offseason with a team to get back ready.

He just got VERY cheap to resign for us if we want him. And I'd take him in a minute at a cheap contract loaded with incentives like making the Pro Bowl again. No risk contract to us. No guarantees ever. If he performs he gets paid well. If he doesn't, he doesn't.

He's young enough and talented enough to make him an offseason priority on the mere DREAM that he can turn it around. If he can't, he can't and we lose little for trying IF we protect ourselves.

I've been away for a few days, so sorry that this is probably rehashing old news. Anyway...as we all know D-Russ is gone. I bet Arrington told the front office that the final stipulation to signing his extension is to give Russell's sorry ass the boot.

For the record...a lot of people here have asked what the harm would be to sign Russell to a cheap deal. Here's the problem with it. First of all, he said he would demand more playing time in order to sign here. Playing time he didn't come CLOSE to earning. Why let him walk all over us? Secondly, if you count on him to be your savior at DT, even at a cheap price, you're taking a gamble, because you might otherwise have signed or drafted someone else at that position to be counted upon. And if Russell doesn't work out, we're back to square one looking to retool the DL for 2005.

Now that Russell is gone, I can't help but wonder why he didn't get any snaps. I understand that he wasn't in game shape, but from what we all heard he had been conditioning during his suspension. It isn't like Chase and Dalton played too well to put Russell on the field, I just thought this was a shrewd and intelligent negotiating ploy, not to let other teams see him play well and lower his market value. Apparently, I was wrong, and none of this led to any positives. I loved the signing, especially after hearing that TB wanted him.

Archived