Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darrell Russell supporters...own up.

Larry Brown #43

All you ignorant lemmings who have been clamoring for us to re-sign Darrell Russell are looking really sharp now. Fat slob hopefully just punched his ticket out of D.C. by showing up late for practice. Thank God none of you actually work in our front office. It's that big-name, jock-sniffing mentality that got us into this mess in the first place (Deion...Bruce...Jeff George...).

easy dog. Take solace we only payed him the minimum. Russell is a project palyer. In some respects this plays right into our hands. Everybody has been waiting for the other shoe to drop with regards to Russell. Everybody thinks he's damaged goods, not because of injury but his mentality. The Skins took a caculated risk, and it worked if you asked me. If Russell gets in shape we may have a very strong front seven, at a bargained (a miracle with Snyder's ideas on spending). If he doesn't work out atleast we didn't mortgage the farm. If we can sign Russell at a minimum I think we come away looking good. the only risk we take is seeing whether or not we see the old Russell from the Raiders that was a beast in the trenches......with the way we're loosing I would miss practice too.

The article says that this is not the first time players on this team have been late to practice or a meeting. This seems to be an on going thing on this team. It's a stretch to imply that Russell is a big problem because of this incident.

Vote #2 for worst thread of the week.

Originally posted by La muerte de Bufford

If anything, this should make him even CHEAPER to keep for next year.

So what?? We've had people clamoring around here to resign this tool since we got him, despite the fact that he hasn't done

d!ck for us since he got here. And to repay us for taking a chance on him, he shows up late for practice before his final opportunity to prove that he belongs here (gee...sounds like he's got his sh!t straightened out to me). This slob was always late for practice in Oakland too (not to mention his other indiscretions).

What do you think Parcells would do to Russell if he pulled this in Dallas? If you want to keep gutless punks like Russell around here, then don't complain when we're 5-11 again next year.

Russell tardiness problems in Oakland where well know to the Redskins, and I remember reading that he has really done well since signing with Washington though he has had a couple accurances.

not knowing the circumstabces involved. being late is a problem, but one that is dealt with by fining, or deactivating.... not realeasing a player who can play. Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, all had different rules for upper level players than they did bottom feeders. Unless Russell is blowing off practice or constantly disrupting pratices, I think Spurrier deactivating him is the way to go.

If you benched or cut every player when they have a mishap, or cause a problem... then you wouldn't have a team to field come game day.

Hey, I'm not bashing the organization necessarily for bringing him here in the first place...I'm just talking about the idiots who all year have placed resigning Russell as a top offseason priority. He has done NOTHING for us since he got here, and to make up for that he decides to stroll in late to practice.

Not to mention, a few weeks ago he said he would only resign here if we would guarantee him more playing time. EXCUSE ME??? What the hell kind of position is he in right now to be demanding playing time?? We got all over Bruce's case for demanding playing time, but hell, at least Bruce is a hall of famer. Let's let D-Russ walk all over us and demand more playing time. According to some around here, I guess he's earned it. :rolleyes:

If he was the talent that everyone hoped he was, then he should have been earnings heaps of PT on this tackle deficient team. The fact that he is not says volumes to me. His raw talent did not take over and force the coaches to play him. They must be seeing something if Lional Dalton keeps him on the bench.

Most "supporters" were saying make the contract incentive based, or with clauses pending his history.

so trying to call them out as if they were asking that he be given a Champ or lavar demanded contract is ridiculous.

If you can sign him to an agreeable deal, without major cap ramifications, you do it. Just like you did Darrell Gardener last year. Because MAYBE you get lucky.

and you also get someone else in case it flops instead of putting all your eggs in one basket....

then if you don't get lucky then it really didn't hurt anything did it?

Originally posted by Larry Brown #43

What do you think Parcells would do to Russell if he pulled this in Dallas? If you want to keep gutless punks like Russell around here, then don't complain when we're 5-11 again next year.

Can we stop the "what do you think Parcells would do" crap. Every thing that comes up someone says that. We don't know why he was late it could be a legit reason. I vote this as worst thread of the year as well :cheers:

Originally posted by robert11273

If he was the talent that everyone hoped he was, then he should have been earnings heaps of PT on this tackle deficient team. The fact that he is not says volumes to me.

They guy has been out of football for 2 years!!! you can't just go out there and be back to normal. They also don't want to showcase him so he doesn't get a lot of interest of money demands :doh:

Parcells is well known for treating players of different statures differently, however Russell so far has not shown or been given the chance to show his stature. We don;t know why he was late anything may have happened. However I for one am big on letting people have 2nd chances just do it on someone elses Dime.

Hey fellas, just because you disagree with me, doesn't make it a bad thread. For such a "bad" thread, there seem to be some people who agree with me here. Hate to say "I told you so," but I think Russell is showing that he hasn't changed his stripes. It's no coincidence he was always late for practice in Oakland. The Raiders are notorious for taking chances on bad characters, and even they didn't want anything to do with this guy. They couldn't wait for him to become eligible again so they could cut him.

And jbooma...your theory about not showcasing Russell is exactly that--A THEORY. And it's a theory I do not buy. Russell was brought in to help our sorry d-line, and he's been flat out-played by much less heralded players. Add to this his demands for more playing time in order to re-sign here, and it is time to show him the door.

Larry, you're right. I floated the "maybe they're not playing him because they don't want to showcase him" balloon, too, but now I see that they're not playing him because he's a bum.

They wouldn't bench him if it was his first missed meeting. Not a chance. This must be a pattern, because Spurrier is no disciplinarian -- this must be a repeat offender situation.

You're right that everyone wants to resign him because of what he was, not because of what he is. He's shown nothing on the field this year. Nothing. And he's shown no signs of working his way into shape. The Skins knew he was a scumbag when he got here, and he obviously learned nothing from his mistakes because he kept committing them (drugs, the "rape" situation, the drunk driving outside the whorehouse).

Cut bait.

He was late to one practice and suddenly you call him a fat lazy slob? Geez man.

I don't know anything about it. All I know is that he isn't getting on the field much, but when he is on the field he makes plays. I don't know why the coaching staff isn't playing him as much as say... Dalton, but I'll let the coaching staff put in players they think have the ability to change the game.

Original take by Larry Brown #43

Hey fellas, just because you disagree with me, doesn't make it a bad thread. For such a "bad" thread, there seem to be some people who agree with me here. Hate to say "I told you so," but I think Russell is showing that he hasn't changed his stripes. It's no coincidence he was always late for practice in Oakland.

I think part of the problem with this thread is a lot of your accusations are unfounded. Being late to practice was never an issue with DRUSS when he was in Oakland, yet your biggest problem with the dude is based on the premise that "he was always late for practice in Oakland".

I read the same article, and it said nothing of why he was late, whether this was a recurring thing, and what kind of an impact it was having on the team... I'm not defending him or anything, but like a lot of other people I think you're jumping to a lot of conclusions here...

Hey fellas, just because you disagree with me, doesn't make it a bad thread. For such a "bad" thread, there seem to be some people who agree with me here. Hate to say "I told you so," but I think Russell is showing that he hasn't changed his stripes. It's no coincidence he was always late for practice in Oakland. The Raiders are notorious for taking chances on bad characters, and even they didn't want anything to do with this guy. They couldn't wait for him to become eligible again so they could cut him.

And jbooma...your theory about not showcasing Russell is exactly that--A THEORY. And it's a theory I do not buy. Russell was brought in to help our sorry d-line, and he's been flat out-played by much less heralded players. Add to this his demands for more playing time in order to re-sign here, and it is time to show him the door.

Tell ya what Larry, I won't call it a bad thread just because I disagree with you if you'll refrain from calling those who do support him "All you ignorant lemmings". Fair enough?

:cheers:

Hey, I'm not bashing the organization necessarily for bringing him here in the first place...I'm just talking about the idiots who all year have placed resigning Russell as a top offseason priority. He has done NOTHING for us since he got here, and to make up for that he decides to stroll in late to practice.

I am still a Russell supporter. So he came to practice late. He's not the first to do it, he won't be the last. Calling someone an idiot because they happen to like a player or because they feel that a person can help the team is not idiocy. Idiocy is calling a person an idiot for their opinion. Let's go with a what if...

What if the Redskins sign Russell cheap and he's a bust? What did the Redskins lose. Everyone that I've heard that have made it clear that they want Russell resigned has stated for a resonable deal.

Another what if...

What if the Redskins decide not to resign Russell and say he goes to a team like the Cowboys, Eagles or the Giants and after training camp, he's in shape and becomes the same force he was before the suspension? Then you'd call Snyder an idiot for not resigning him when we had the chance.

How about if the Redskins sign him cheap, and he becomes that force he was before the suspension? Then it becomes you that others will call an idiot for your opinion. This is not right either, but your name calling for people having their opinion of a player is just as wrong.

I am still a Russell supporter. So he came to practice late. He's not the first to do it, he won't be the last.

Like it or not, Russell comes with a lot of baggage. Being late for practice is a big red flag for a guy like that. And, believe me, if it was one late practice, he wouldn't be in the coach's doghouse. Russell needs to keep his nose clean, more so than "normal" players, and it doesn't look like he's done it.

Worse, have you seen any evidence that he's getting in better shape?

The problem with the Skins is that they've been scared to death to lose a "good" player for years, even if that players is a total scumbag off the field who produces nothing on the field. Think about this: would the Skins have been worse off if they'd just cut Michael Westbrook after that fight with Davis?

I think they'd have been better off. But cutting a talented player was inconceivable. Better to just let him continue to drag the team down than to risk making a mistake. Good teams know that no player is irreplaceable, and if you've got one who's bad for the team, no matter how talented, sometimes you're better off without him.

Now, if it's Randy Moss or Terrell Owens you might decide to suffer through it, but for Darrell Russell? Please. Think of how long Ryan Leaf got before teams realized that he's just a bad guy, plain and simple. Same with Lawrence Phillips. Everyone's blinding by the talent and refuses to see what's happening right in front of them.

Darrell Russell has done nothing to lead us to believe he's changed. No arrests in the 3 months he's been in Washington? Wow, must be a changed man. Give me a break.

I was against his coming here in the first place. I am afriad that our FO is becoming desperate and will take a chance on any player and that is wrong. I hate to admit it but Reid and Banner in Philly have assembled a TEAM, Snyder could learn something by taking a serious look at how the mess in Philly was fixed and apply it here in DC

Archived