Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just watched the 1982 Super Bowl...

KDawg

Believe it or not, I never actually saw it before, it was two years before I was born... But you can be sure I've read about it... And what I read does not do Riggins' performance any justice. He was a complete BEAST in that game.

But it was fun to watch, my dad enjoyed the commercials, as well as watching the Skins back in glory...

I enjoyed the cornyness of the entire thing, including the stellar halftime show of SUPER KALEIDOSCOPE.

I noticed that the game was different, all the shifting and such made for some weird formations...

The Fun Bunch was great to see.

And Jack Kent Cooke is pure class.

Oh and the phone call from President Reagan to Joe Gibbs was out of this world corny, but it was cool nonetheless.

Anyone else have any thoughts on that game? Or any game for that matter?

Awesome game...Thought Miami was going to take it to us after the Jimmy Cefalo bomb. We dominated the 2nd quarter besides the Fulton Walker runback....should have gotton at least another 3 before halftime...Theismann didnt run the 2 minute drill too well, but Doc Walker was DA BOMB on that drive.

2nd half all skins...note on the actual telecast the critical timing of the George Michael Sportsmachine right before the now famous 4 & 1 Riggins to the house, you cant buy that kind of publicity

Can anyone tell me why the helmets had the different logo for that year only...just curious

I was struck by the rather marked size difference between the players then and today, especially teh linemen and linebackers. They look like relatively small college players by today's standards. I also think that a lot of the skill position players, and almost all of the defenders look less athletic compared to today's players.

I too was struck by the amount of motion and shifting in Gibbs' offense. It's a thing of beauty and damn hard for a defense to figure out what he's doing. Did you know that Gibbs could run virtually any play out of his playbook from any formation that was out there? I heard Ronnie Lott comment on how hard that made it for him as the defensive signal-caller to counter. I have no idea why more teams don't do that.

Some other things:

Redman: Yes, I too noticed and commented on the size difference. I'm 5'9" 180 pounds, and muscle wise, I'm bigger than alot of those guys. I also noticed they had a fair amount of fat on them.

My dad commented on why the safeties and corners were always there to break up a pass play... I told him that they didn't spread the field with five wide receivers or even four and cause safeties to go into man-coverage as often. Also, with less receivers, there are less guys to keep an eye on.

Another thing I noticed was how the box was stacked on nearly every play for both teams... Neither team really feared the pass.

Oh and one man I forgot to comment on that impressed me...

Dave freakin Butz. We need a guy like him at DT, lol. Refusing to get a new helmet is great... His helmet was almost as white as it was burgandy.

Butz was great! A quiet giant who just got the job done and then some. That team was very good. Oddly, the 1983 team was much better (losing two games by one point) until the Raider massacre in the Super Bowl. Had they won that game, they would have been among the greatest NFL teams of all time. Those were the years! Gibbs would make the best half-time adjustments, the players were smart enough to use formation (they did not spend all of their time working out and getting bigger), and the Riggins 4th and 1 carry became the 'Skins defining moment.

Dexter Manley had a monster game. Forced a fumble and swatted a couple pases.. one he swatted about 25 yards.

I watched that game in a bar in Biloxi Mississippi. (The Sundance, if anyone had ever been to that pit.)

I plunked down at the bar in front of the TV about 2 hrs before game time, and figuring I'd need some sup[port, offered dips in my beer pitcher for Redskins fans.

After a while I had a few of them camped out with me.

Frankly, I am surprised I didn't get my ass whipped the way I carried on when Riggo ran around the end.

~Bang

Archived