Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I know it is from Prisco... but

bubba9497

By Pete Prisco

SportsLine.com Senior Writer

If the Redskins decide to make changes in their personnel department, don't be shocked to see Tampa Bay personnel director Tim Ruskell coming aboard. Ruskell is well-respected, and rightfully so, and he happens to be good friends with Steve Spurrier. Spurrier is looking to take a more active role in player procurement, and this could help facilitate that. Spurrier has made it known that he does not have a fondness for Vinny Cerrato, the team's director of player personnel. He has referred to him as owner Dan Snyder's "racquetball buddy."

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6935765

Called this one a few wekks ago and it is about a 85% chance of happening. Cerrato was discussing a extension with Snyder in the begining of the season and we havent heard anything about him being signed as of yet. I may be the only one who thinks that Cerratto staying is not set in concrete.

Heres how it could work

Snyder- steve i want you to fire Helton, Edwards, and stock and bring in more expierenced coaches to replace them.

Spurrier replies- Well Mr. Snyder i want you to fire your racquetball buddy and hire a competent G.M. to replace him and i know this guy named Tim Ruskell.

dont know what would the outcome will be but it could go that way.

Originally posted by lavarleap56

Called this one a few wekks ago and it is about a 85% chance of happening. Cerrato was discussing a extension with Snyder in the begining of the season and we havent heard anything about him being signed as of yet. I may be the only one who thinks that Cerratto staying is not set in concrete.

Heres how it could work

Snyder- steve i want you to fire Helton, Edwards, and stock and bring in more expierenced coaches to replace them.

Spurrier replies- Well Mr. Snyder i want you to fire your racquetball buddy and hire a competent G.M. to replace him and i know this guy named Tim Ruskell.

I know what I'm asking Santa for this year!!

:D

Originally posted by Even Madder

I know Spurrier dislikes Cerrato, but when did he ever deride him as Snyder's "racquetball buddy"? I don't remember him ever going that far publicly -- even when Waffle was cut.

You are right, Madder. I think that is bull---- from Prisco. I cant believe Spurrier would have said that publicly, even if he really thought it. :mad:

Heres how it could work

Spurrier is the only person alive that has any leverage over Snyder. The above scenario is our only hope. Snyder is sensitive to his image with the fans and football people in general, but it will take years before fan discontent gets through to Snyder. Spurrier, on the other hand, might be able to get through now.

Go for it Steve, tell Danny you will walk if he doesn't get a GM! The fans deserve it! And if Danny calls your bluff and gets a new head coach, what have we lost?

Heres how it could work

That is exactly how it is going to play out. Snyder is going to say look we need to get rid of some coaches, and Spurrier will say look we need to get rid of Vinny, you promised me a GM now I want to see it :)

:cheers: :cheers:

For the life of me, I can't understand why, after Marty kicked Vinnie's butt to the curb, Dan brings him back and promotes him!

Unless Vinnie has some front office skills we haven't heard of yet. Like "under the desk" office skills.

The story in the Post said there would be no FO changes. That would seem to indicate that the status quo will prevail there.

BUT...what if Cerrato was the source for that? Perhaps he isn't in the loop for what's being planned? I, too, find it very curious that this extension for Cerrato is still being "discussed", when it seemed like a done deal a couple of months ago.

If, say, a Ruskell does come on board, does Snyder's role change all that much? From my view, probably not much. I don't get the feeling that he is too involved in deciding what players to get or keep (other than to break stalemates, which is perfectly reasonable, IMO). He just recruits and negotiates deals. I think he would pretty much keep doing the same thing. And I see nothing wrong with that.

Of course, I'm sure others take a more cynical view of Snyder's role. :D

Heres how it could work

Well, according to Sonny it was Spurrier who actually fired Helton a month ago, and Snyder who talked him into keeping the staff together for the season, thus leading to the infamous "Shyder's meddling again with Joe Bugel" stories. If there's any truth to that, they might both want Helton gone.

And I'm not so sure about Edwards. For one thing, a lot of Marvin Lewis's "genius" last year came from Daryl Gardener's playing, a luxury Edwards didn't have. Even then, I don't have the stats but I know the defense gave up a ton of points last year despite its high ranking. I say its more important to keep the DC and scheme together for another season than to dump them for yet another flavor of the moment.

it has become a yearly rite of early winter for Redskins fans to sit back and think about how a rational, focused and professional offseason can bring the club back into the mainstream of successful NFL franchises :)

Unfortunately, there always seems to be an ingredient missing.

this year we signed 11 veteran free agents before camp to improve on a 7-9 record and yet will in all likelihood end up at 5-11 or 6-10 :(

we have a coaching staff with very little NFL experience on it.

we have the coach's son as the wide receivers coach.

we have Vinny Cerrato, who was booted out of San Francisco, as our face man representing us in deals around the NFL.

Better days HAVE to lie ahead somewhere, if only because I can't think of this thing getting any worse :)

"raquetball buddy" could be said in a completely benign context, or a very malicious one.... hard to know considering Prisco gives NO CONTEXT for how it was said.

This type of rumormongering and contextual manipulation is on par with the type of reporting that goes on in the National Enquirer.

Steller stuff Pete. :rolleyes:

Archived