Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where's the talent?

Ignatius J.

I think some people calling for spurrier's head have sorely mistaken a few things.....

nobody wins when your QB completes six passes and two interceptions. Nobody.

So, I'm just going to ask, since everyone seems to feel that spurrier should be winning, where is the talent?

Compare us to a winning team heads up, and you'll see why we have the record we do.

-DB

DB,

Part of the problem with completing six passes is the fact that every one of our receivers was covered. Now, we DID have some open guys. Coles was open on a couple and Gardner was open.

The talent on this team is that we have a solid receiving core and a good offensive line, especially in the running game -- which is a surprise. Rock seems to have a legitimate chance to make something of himself as well. We've got more talent than many of the teams we've played. Including the Cowboys. We simply lack right now in the design area and it's killing us.

So DB, what's your point?

Are you going to rationalize for us some more about how Spurrier really is a heck of a coach and just needs more time? And that the talent vacuum has nothing to do with him?

:laugh:

you really have been hit too many times.

my point is that QB is the single most important position in football.

And art, pardon me while I spill milk through my nose laughing....

"a good offensive line"

you're a funny guy.

On third and short good offensive lines get thier backs across the marker. We have what is called a "below average" offensive line. I'm willing to forgive them though, because the entire left side of our line is playing for hurt starters, but don't begin to think that what we fielded today on the line was an acceptable team.

Good offensive lines make openings for backs and give time to passers so they can move the ball down the field. That didn't really happen today.

-DB

Originally posted by NavyDave

Fewer plays more formations and motions will help as well as GASP get a smashmouth running back, RDE and really look into letting our supposed superstars go

OK, I'll show my ignorance.......................what the heck is "GASP"?

We've got more talent than many of the teams we've played. Including the Cowboys. We simply lack right now in the design area and it's killing us.

The that simply means it comes down to coaching. It has to. If we've got more talent than the 'Girls, then we should've won. And if we lost it shouldn't have been a shutout.

It comes down to a coach who isn't afraid to get in his QB's face and make him feel like a completel imbicile on national TV.

I'm tired of blaming the players. Sure, they f-cked up. But Spurrier and Co. stands around as if nothing's wrong most the time. Get mad! Yell at your players!!!! QUIT BEING A PU$$Y AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by DrunkenBoxer

my point is that QB is the single most important position in football.

And art, pardon me while I spill milk through my nose laughing....

"a good offensive line"

you're a funny guy.

On third and short good offensive lines get thier backs across the marker. We have what is called a "below average" offensive line. I'm willing to forgive them though, because the entire left side of our line is playing for hurt starters, but don't begin to think that what we fielded today on the line was an acceptable team.

Good offensive lines make openings for backs and give time to passers so they can move the ball down the field. That didn't really happen today.

-DB

I agree. With the exception of Randy Thomas, the Redskins line this year has been sub-par.

Um if you think we have more talent than the cowboys you are as dumb as a cowboy fan.

Other than linebacker, I cannot think of a single position where we have more talent. Can you name one?

-DB

Cowboys WRs are overrated. Redskins CBs are better as well. Overall, the teams are close talent-wise.

Eagles,

What exactly makes you think the redskins CB's are better? just how we've played against you?

Either our CB's are very good and barely contained thier good recievers, or our CB's are trash for getting beat by the overrated CB recievers. You can't have it both ways. They are either better than us at CB or reciever.

-DB

EVERY team is close talent wise. At the beginning of the year, if you look up and down the Patriots or Eagles roster, you'd be wholly unimpressed.

Troy Brown or Tood Pinkston as your number one reciever doesn't look so good stacked up to Coles on paper.

Hell, pretty much every team that is having a solid year has an equal amount or less talent on paper than the 'Skins do. The Chiefs? Wow, what a big name WR corps. The Ravens? Damn, their offense is just STACKED with stars.

In the era of free agency, there are no more teams that beat another team solely on talent. Every team is on equal footing, and it comes down to the coaching staff to get the most of players.

I'm willing to give Spurrier the benefit of the doubt along with one more year.

Eagles,

What exactly makes you think the redskins CB's are better? just how we've played against you?

Either our CB's are very good and barely contained thier good recievers, or our CB's are trash for getting beat by the overrated CB recievers. You can't have it both ways. They are either better than us at CB or reciever.

-DB

They only passed for 108 yards. The Redskins would have done better than that if they had someone capable throwing the ball.

Mario Edwards and Terrance Newman are NOT better than Bailey and Smoot.

You also have to take into account that Woodson and Williams are much better than Bowen and Iffy.

Eagles,

okay you're right.

Our defense actually played a pretty good game today. you might not know it by lokking at the score, and I just got carried away.

However,

Dallas managed to go the first half of the year with a significant amount of cover zero. You don't do that unless you have great corners.

Art likes to complain about a lack of agression on defense, but when we go cover 1, we get beat deep. It doesn't happen nearly as consistantly to the cowboys.

So that points to superior CB play in my mind.

Who knows, maybe our D-line is just that bad.

-DB

Orangeskin,

how long you been a skins fan?

You sure think like one!

We have a big name player, must mean they're good!

only, that's not true..... is it?

-DB

I think OS's point was, other teams (big names or not) have lesser talented rosters than the Skins. Say what you will about 'big names', but Troy Brown and Todd Pinkston are NOT better than Coles. Yes, some overvalue people because of name recognition, but you can't detract from them because of name recognition either. Arrington, Coles, Thomas, Smoot (even Bailey--sometimes) are top players at their positions. Trotter is someone who is overrated. Same with Samuels. I suppose it goes both ways.

On a completely different note-- Jesus ! Joe Theisman is still talking about Vick in the Giants - Saints game. Bang's cartoon was very appropriate.

Eagles,

okay you're right.

Our defense actually played a pretty good game today. you might not know it by lokking at the score, and I just got carried away.

However,

Dallas managed to go the first half of the year with a significant amount of cover zero. You don't do that unless you have great corners.

Art likes to complain about a lack of agression on defense, but when we go cover 1, we get beat deep. It doesn't happen nearly as consistantly to the cowboys.

So that points to superior CB play in my mind.

Who knows, maybe our D-line is just that bad.

-DB

Yes, the Cowboys CB's played a very solid game today. However, I've seen them on multiple occasions get beaten frequently. Mario Edwards is not a starting caliber CB. I think the Skins problem is, they get 0 pressure without blitzing.

I think our D-line is that bad.

We are weakest on both sides of the ball at the line of scrimmage (especially with our OL injuries).

Our team is designed for a big passing game and defending the big passing game.

Unfortunately, games are won running the ball and defending against the run and we don't have the personnel to do that.

Archived