Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The myth that good coaches will not come to Washington - Wade Phillips book excerpt

EasternNCbywayofNOVA

On 1/18/2019 at 7:19 PM, Califan007 said:

...Think about this: the Cowboys have gone 12-4, 13-3, 9-7 and 10-6 in four of the last 5 seasons. The one season where they had anything close to the injuries the Skins have had for the last 2 years, they went 4-12. 

The Cowboys went 13-3 in a year where they lost both their first and second string quarterbacks in pre-season, leaving them with a 4th round rookie QB to start with one week of preparation.  They lost their starting LT for 3 games, starting LG for 13 games, Dez Bryant for three games, starting CB for 9 games, slot CB for four games, starting strong safety for 4 games, backup SS for three games, Demarcus Lawrence for 7 games.  I'm not counting the loss of their first string RB from 2015, because he wouldn't have had that many snaps anyway, or their starting middle linebacker (Rolando McClain) from 2015 who was suspended by the team, or randy gregory (out for 14 games), or Jaylon Smith (drafted knowing he would not play).

Of the 7 wins by the Redskins this year, only one (Cowboys) was against a team that ended the season with a winning record ( and the Cowboys didn't have a winning record at the time), three of the other wins were against teams that have since fired their HCs.  The Carolina game was a nice win regardless of their record.

In five seasons, Gruden has had a winning record in the division one time.  His one season with a winning record in the division came in a year when all the other teams in the division had losing records.

I'm not saying that Gruden is a bad coach because he couldn't overcome the injuries.  He's a mediocre coach with no signs that he'll be more than mediocre.  Everything can't be blamed on the FO - if he has no input on players and the FO can't put a team together, why did he sign the extension, especially after Scot was bounced?  Have some self respect and move on.

35 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

My point being that the culture of our FO has been to hire mediocre and "used" coaches who have nothing to lose by coming here.  Lateral moves from one bad team to another.  A young up and comer is not going to replace a Belichek, but might salivate at the opportunity to become the Redskins new face, leading a poor team into an exciting one.   Will Bruce allow for such an opportunity, I doubt it. But if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere (in Sinatara voice lol.) What do we have to lose by trying? The current formula doesn't work, and yes, it is an ideal opportunity for someone given the choice between starting as the 3rd assistant to Mr. Belichek or becoming a Coordinator here.

The problem is the SnyderAllen “Braintrust” will spit up and chew out even Mike Shanahan, so a young coach with zero juice won’t make even the most minor dent in it. The moment fans started to believe in Brian LeFemina more than Brucie, Brucie turned into Petty White without a Snickers and had Snyder boot him. Same with McLovin. The dude had warts and really have an issue with booze, but Brucie’s ego couldn’t take the fan base having more faith in McLovin than in him.

if a young coach does come along and the fans get a whif or him, Brucie will have his head cut. If I believed in black heliocopters, I’d think he even coined the term “Wrong Play” McVay.

Archived