Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

About a quarter of the season in and it would be difficult to say that this rebuild is not going well.  

They’ve locked in a good catcher with a very inexpensive contract.

Gray’s performance has been a 180 turnaround from last year.

Gore has been very good, giving the rotation an exciting 1-2 punch for the future.

The middle infield guys, not older than 23, are having good starts.

They have a firing number 5 guy with a sub 1 ERA in his first two starts.

Three of their four free agents are doing their jobs, especially on the run prevention side.

They have gathered three OFers over the past two years that show that they can start, but will likely battle it out for the fourth and fifth OF spots.

On the farm, Hassell is showing he’s recovered from the hamate injury and is moving up. House has bounced back from his back injury. Lile has recovered from a lost 2022 and should now be a top 10 guy in a a top 5-7 farm system.

They have the overall #10 prospect rated by BA. Green is a work in progress with his strike out percentage, but has shown the four other tools.

They have two starters from the 2022 draft that are turning heads.

They pick second in a draft with three highly touted guys.

What’s not to like?

Looking at FA next year, there are four to five guys that will likely get mega contracts: Ohtani, Urias, Nola, Chapman, and possibly Bellinger.

I’m thinking they should be aggressive with either Chapman or Bellinger.  Bellinger is young, but has a dangerous floor.  If Chapman can switch to first when House is ready, that could be ideal.

We could be looking at a late 2024 team of:

Adams SS

Hassell LF

Garcia 2B

Chapman 3B

Ruiz C

Meneses DH

Thomas RF

Smith 1B

Robles CF

Gray, Gore, Cavalli, Skenes, Irvin/Williams/Rutledge/Corbin.

Edited by Ball Security
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

I would be leery of Matt Chapman--his previous two years in Oakland were not very good. I would not give him or Nola mega-deals, or Bellinger more than a couple-year deal, at most (if he keeps this up.) The last thing we need right now is to saddle this rebuild with a Javy Baez type deal--which Chapman screams. Although he walks more than Baez, that 30% K rate is not sustainable for hitters over 30. Case in point: Kyle Schwarber. Right now, he is a minus bWAR player and his Hard Hit rate is the lowest of his career. Ian Desmond cratered too after 30.

But it is a real good time to be a fan--seeing all of what you said there @Ball Security is dead on. I am psyched to see this team continue to grow this year!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I would be leery of Matt Chapman--his previous two years in Oakland were not very good. I would not give him or Nola mega-deals, or Bellinger more than a couple-year deal, at most (if he keeps this up.) The last thing we need right now is to saddle this rebuild with a Javy Baez type deal--which Chapman screams. Although he walks more than Baez, that 30% K rate is not sustainable for hitters over 30. Case in point: Kyle Schwarber. Right now, he is a minus bWAR player and his Hard Hit rate is the lowest of his career. Ian Desmond cratered too after 30.

But it is a real good time to be a fan--seeing all of what you said there @Ball Security is dead on. I am psyched to see this team continue to grow this year!

All FAs carry risk. Chapman was a 3.5 WAR player the past two years. I wouldn’t say that’s not good. 

How would you address the lack of power next year? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

All FAs carry risk. Chapman was a 3.5 WAR player the past two years. I wouldn’t say that’s not good. 

How would you address the lack of power next year? 

I'm very on the fence with Coles. Kind of reminds me of when Lenny Harris was the hitting coach, basically turned all our power hitters into singles hitters. I want to see how Abrams and Ruiz, specifically, develop. They might need to make a change there, but we'll see.

All FAs carry risk, but I am particularly concerned with the over-30, high K-rate kind of player. They typically age very poorly. I might want to bide our time, give the short term deal, see how House, Green, Wood, Hassell develop. Wood is closer and carries good power too. Hassell less so. If Bellinger would sing for a 2 or 3 year deal, that would be great. Rhys Hoskins is another one I think we should target.

If we still really need a big bat, I'd wait until next year and go after Alonso. Total goober, but he'd be our goober. And he'd be a our goober hitting bombs.

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Thumb up 1

35 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm very on the fence with Coles. Kind of reminds me of when Lenny Harris was the hitting coach, basically turned all our power hitters into singles hitters. I want to see how Abrams and Ruiz, specifically, develop. They might need to make a change there, but we'll see.

All FAs carry risk, but I am particularly concerned with the over-30, high K-rate kind of player. They typically age very poorly. I might want to bide our time, give the short term deal, see how House, Green, Wood, Hassell develop. Wood is closer and carries good power too. Hassell less so. If Bellinger would sing for a 2 or 3 year deal, that would be great. Rhys Hoskins is another one I think we should target.

If we still really need a big bat, I'd wait until next year and go after Alonso. Total goober, but he'd be our goober. And he'd be an our goober hitting bombs.

I hear you. Hoskins is an interesting target.  I’d look at him as a Meneses replacement, which is totally fine. I like having Smith’s glove at first. I think it’s been an underrated story this season as it relates to the pitching and defense success. 

I don’t see Cohen letting Alonso walk, but you never know.

If you got Bellinger, he’s good enough defensively to play in the OF or 1B if Smith’s bat becomes unplayable. Some big red flags with him that concerns me.

If they take Crews or Langford, I’d give serious consideration to giving Hassell a first baseman’s mitt and try to work him in there. I know his arm is strong, but he would be the guy who I’d move off the OF if three of Green, Wood, Lile, #2 hit.

I don’t want them to spend money just to spend, but I do want them to be more aggressive with FA this offseason (I support what they did this offseason).

I’ve thought about the idea of putting 2/12 in front of Candelario and see if he bites. They also will get a look at Keiboom at Rochester, so the bridge to House may end up being solved internally with Keiboom, Alu, or Downs.

• Like 1

From what I've read, despite his speed, Langford isn't as good a defender. So maybe he goes to 1st? Who knows, with so many moving parts. Hassells arm is less than stellar too. 

As for the Mets and Alonso, Ill never count out Cohen, but you have to wonder how much longer he'll continue on his drunken sailer spending spree if they continue to be the Mets. Scherzer is scratched tonight, even after being suspended for 10 days. Verlander was already on the IL. Personally, I hope he continues to act like Dan Snyder, circa 2001.

There's still along season to play out, and next year's FA crop is much deeper I think.

They should be aggressive on the FA market, but we're also forgetting Rizzo's wheelhouse: trades. Getting Gio Gonzalez for what amounted to spare parts put us over the top 11 years ago. I would imagine he'd investigate that again.

Hassell has a 55 arm.  🤷‍♂️

Though he faced pre-Draft questions about his defensive ability, Hassell has the above-average speed and arm to be a solid center fielder. The latter could help in right field too, if he needs to move to a corner due to the presence of James Wood and Elijah Green in the system. In the end, more discernible power would go a long way toward establishing the Tennessee native’s place in the Nats’ future.

3 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Hassell has a 55 arm.  🤷‍♂️

Huh, weird. I remember seeing someone saying his arm wasn't very strong. I'm glad it's better though.

If Wood/Hassell/Langford or Crews/Green all hit, you'll see Rizzo move for a big name pitcher...maybe someone that rhymes with Chain McClamaham.

Rizzo is think isn't under contract after this year. So, thats priority #1 in my book. But if he's making the decisions and is allowed to spend. Then year. He'll be looking for an arm. 

Unpopular opinion. I like late night Nats because I listen on the Siriusxm App while falling asleep. Charlie and Dave are really good. Makes me think of our parents as kids and their little one earphone crystal radios listening to baseball games. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

How about the run support for Gray? Holy schnikes. 

He had like 1 run total in his first four starts.  This balances it out. 🙂

Too bad the Lerners were too cheap to spend on guys like Manaea.

Nationals 6-9 hitters are 5-7 with a 3B, HR, BB, 5R, 7RBI.

Smith has been on base six times in a row.

Edited by Ball Security
  • Haha 1

Kieboom with his second multi hit night for Rochester in as many games, including a homerun.  Something to keep an eye on.

Mitchell Parker (AA) and Andy Lara (A+) two top 30 starters who have struggled put up six innings with six strikeouts. Lara gave up no runs, Parker one. Susana (A) gave up no earned runs in four innings with four strikeouts while sitting at 97-99.

James Wood had a homerun. Lile and House had two hits a piece.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Imagine if Hickey wasn't such a **** coach and we could actually develop pitchers! He'd be a Cy Young Candidate!

When I saw him at Fredericksburg, I saw a pitcher as opposed to a guy who just throws hard. He’s super young. I’d give him plenty of room to fail as a starter before converting him to a closer (which he could dominate).

This team is about to have a roster crunch. Kieboom has been killing it since he got back.  I’d give serious consideration to bringing him up at the beginning of June. Robles and Dickerson may be ready by then.

Vargas and Garrett are forcing playing time.  It’s a good problem to have.

They’ll have to make a decision on Kuehl soon.  May not see him come back. Chavis’ tenure may not be long either.

Dickerson doesn’t really help much, I don’t think. I’m just not sure if they would just cut him though.

Dickerson, Keiboom, Robles up. Alu, Chavis and ?? down? It would make sense for Call or Garrett, but they both deserve to, and should, stay.

I’d like to see them replace Harris with Abbott in the pen.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1