Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

26 minutes ago, zCommander said:

It hurts indeed. But I can see why it was done. The sale of the team and not going to win a championship in the next 2 years with Soto. His value right now is greater than later. It is a gamble but when you are in rebuild mode you can't payout that much for one player. It is always tough to lose someone like this though. 

I totally get it from the business and building perspective. I held out hope today that they wouldn't trade now if only so a new owner could have a shot. I think that was worth losing out on one or two of these prospects.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

Truly impressive how Boras managed to torpedo Rendon and Turner's extensions too.  Boras played no small part in this I'm sure, but let's not pretend that ownership doesn't have a track record too.

Other than the top 7ish payroll on average and an almost decade run of success. As well as at least two massive extension offers. So the AAV wasnt record setting. Oh noes.

But yeah, let's ignore that to focus on the players not here. Also, Turner looks like he's going to Free agency. So the Dodgers have let Seager, Turner (potentially), and Scherzer walk out the door for nothing...

The Dodgers. It's the business of baseball.

There is no evidence whatsoever they were interested in signing an extension. I'm fact their stated goal is free agency.

But whatever man, ignore whatever you like to continue your narrative.

1 hour ago, Redskins Diehard said:

Just think of all the prospects we'll have when these guys get good and we trade them for prospects! 

I was mostly fine with letting Harper go. Didn't like seeing Rendon go. Hated seeing Turner go. And this one is the worst of all. Soto could've been the Nats version of Ovie. 

Again, what makes you think he would have signed anything here?

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Other than the top 7ish payroll on average and an almost decade run of success. As well as at least two massive extension offers. So the AAV wasnt record setting. Oh noes.

But yeah, let's ignore that to focus on the players not here. Also, Turner looks like he's going to Free agency. So the Dodgers have let Seager, Turner (potentially), and Scherzer walk out the door for nothing...

There is no evidence whatsoever they were interested in signing an extension. I'm fact their stated goal is free agency.

But whatever man, ignore whatever you like to continue your narrative.

To be fair, the Dodgers ownership is notoriously cheap.  I mean, they let Machado walk too.

• Thanks 1

I don't see the need for the "again" since that was the first thing I posted on the topic. I would've liked to see the new owner given a shot one way or the other. And I get it, our farm system may not have gone to number 5 if they waited

You are comparing the Dodgers track record of keeping their own against the Nats?  

Wanna tell me again how they couldn't pay Harper cause of Rendon and they couldn't pay Rendon cause of Turner and Turner had to go to make room for Soto again?

I'll be surprised if baseball still exists as a professional sport in 50 years.  I think we are seeing the beginning of the end.  Too much money to few players - crippling teams. 

I don't see how there will be money available to pay players in the near future w/ a diminishing fanbase / TV & tix revenue.

The old timer fans are dying off and the new generation couldn't care less about the sport.  Too many games - too slow.  

Lerners made a sound business decision - but in sports I don't think it is always about that.  I'm out on the Nats.  Completely.

Just now, bearrock said:

You are comparing the Dodgers track record of keeping their own against the Nats?  

Wanna tell me again how they couldn't pay Harper cause of Rendon and they couldn't pay Rendon cause of Turner and Turner had to go to make room for Soto again?

I'm pointing out players leave all the time.

And there you go....same tired, dumbasses narrative I've already ripped to shreds.

Like I said, keep ignoring what you want to ignore to feed your ignorance. You do you chief.

11 minutes ago, Redskins Diehard said:

I would've liked to see the new owner given a shot one way or the other. 

The problem with that is the new owner would need to shell out more money to buy the team if Soto was on the books. That is the only thing that makes sense to me. 

Edited by zCommander

I'm pointing out players leave all the time.

And there you go....same tired, dumbasses narrative I've already ripped to shreds.

Like I said, keep ignoring what you want to ignore to feed your ignorance. You do you chief.

Lol, players leave all the time but they rarely seem to stay.  I don't think the Nats ever signed anyone to a major deal without deferred money.

Yup, really shredded all those narratives over the years by claiming how one departure was necessary to save in order to sign the next guy.  Totally hit the nail on the head by pointing all the blame at Boras, even though two of the four big bats were not Boras clients.  Heaven forbid that the Lerners take some semblance of responsibility in the chain of events that lead to not one, not two, not three, but four straight top tier batters on this team leave without an extension.  Nope.  It's all Boras.  Even the ones represented by other agents.  

Just now, bearrock said:

Lol, players leave all the time but they rarely seem to stay.  I don't think the Nats ever signed anyone to a major deal without deferred money.

Yup, really shredded all those narratives over the years by claiming how one departure was necessary to save in order to sign the next guy.  Totally hit the nail on the head by pointing all the blame at Boras, even though two of the four big bats were not Boras clients.  Heaven forbid that the Lerners take some semblance of responsibility in the chain of events that lead to not one, not two, not three, but four straight top tier batters on this team leave without an extension.  Nope.  It's all Boras.  Even the ones represented by other agents.  

Why don't you go back and read all the context I posted to all of these moves that pissed you off in the 1st place and address that post, hmmm? Because you can't. It doesn't fit your little half-assed narrative.

Everybody uses deferred money. Lindor took deferred money. Freeman took deferred money from the Dodgers. Scherzer took deferred money here, worked out pretty well. We also offered Soto no deferrals. Over $450m, guaranteed, wasn't enough for him and Boras. But ****ing cheap Lerners. 

Anything else? I can destroy this crap all day.

4 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Who are you talking about when you say big 4 bats?   I would think you mean Harper, Rendon, Turner, and Soto.  No?

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Why don't you go back and read all the context I posted to all of these moves that pissed you off in the 1st place and address that post, hmmm? Because you can't. It doesn't fit your little half-assed narrative.

My narrative being what?  That the owners have some responsibility here?  You really think Lerners have nothing to do with this?

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Three of those guys are Boras clients (not Trea).  You said 2.

My bad.  Conflated Rendon and Turner's rep.  It's still not all Boras.

7 minutes ago, bearrock said:

My narrative being what?  That the owners have some responsibility here?  You really think Lerners have nothing to do with this?

My bad.  Conflated Rendon and Turner's rep.  It's still not all Boras.

Fact is, they have never trailed since Soto got traded.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, bearrock said:

No the stupid they let Harper go to pay Rendon to pay whoever. It's tired and factually inaccurate.

13 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

And the one that wasn’t Boras, they didn’t let walk.  They traded him for 12 controlled years of a battery.

Well they're 2 for 2 then.  I guess the Nats have never let their top tier bat walk since Rendon.

Just now, bearrock said:

Well they're 2 for 2 then.  I guess the Nats have never let their top tier bat walk since Rendon.

I'm done, you're just being willfully obtuse. Believe whatever you want. I'll happily watch our haul today grow and look forward. Bye now.

Just now, TradeTheBeal! said:

Whatever happened to Anthony Rendon?

On the IR and is a train wreck of a contact. But don't let that get in the way of a good rant. Having both him and Strasburg on the books wouldn't be a problem at all if it weren't the cheap Lerners. I mean they brought us a World Series, but so what?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Three of those guys are Boras clients (not Trea).  You said 2.

And the one that wasn’t Boras, they didn’t let walk.  They traded him for 12 controlled years of a battery.

Think of the prospects they can get trading that battery next year with 10 controlled years! 

How does Bob Carpenter have time to call the game, keep score, AND defend the owners here? 

• Haha 1