Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Important is it to the Skins SB Dreams,to Keep Arrington Around?

Charlie Murphaaay

Blackstone: BUYS - Based upon Arrington's willingness to be accountable (and make other teamates accountable) for loses. Basic Locker Room Leadership.

Mariotti: SELLS - Doesn't believe Arrington should turn down this money, and says he's not as good as Urlacher.

Paige: SELLS - Says he's not in the upper tier of LB's in the league. Says the team built the D around him this year, and it's no good. (Where did they find Woody Paige, on the street begging for change?)

JA Adande: BUYS - Because he's the public face of the Redskins. Says Arrington is the franchise.

Every organization needs a leader, a marquee player, that is thought of when the team name comes to somebody's mind. It's part of building a winner, and its part of building an identity. For years, this team was always linked with the name Darrell Green. You couldn't say one without the other. If Lavar goes, who is it gonna be, Lemar Marshall?

Arrington may have made the pro bowl but he is not a game in and game out dominator as people would have you believe.

There were a number of games this year from the first Giants game to the close losses to Carolina and Miami where a Ray Lewis type linebacker could have stepped up and made a play to prevent those teams from driving the field consistently on the D.

I agree with Bulldog, there are quite a few fans wearing burgundy and gold glasses in the shape of #56. When he was drafted, everyone had visions of Lawrence Taylor....including the media.... and the fact is he's been a disappointment. He's out of position more than he is IN position, and his crunching hits have little impact in the game as a whole. Sure, he's got personality and charisma.... but that isn't going to get the team to the SuperBowl.

Ray Lewis makes teams change their gameplan.... run and pass away from him and tie up extra blockers to contain him. Opposing offenses gameplan right at Lavar... knowing that more often than not he's not going to be where he's supposed to and a big play can be made in areas of his responsibility.

Until that changes... and the potential is there if the team can gain some consistency and experience in the defensive scheme and personel, he's expendable because he doesn't bring us any closer to playing in late Jan/early Feb.... and many might argue he takes us further away from our goal with his reckless play.

Originally posted by bulldog

Arrington may have made the pro bowl but he is not a game in and game out dominator as people would have you believe.

There were a number of games this year from the first Giants game to the close losses to Carolina and Miami where a Ray Lewis type linebacker could have stepped up and made a play to prevent those teams from driving the field consistently on the D.

Sure, but IMO, in the current league, Ray Lewis is by himself in the top tier of LBs. Brian Urlacher is good, but overrated by the media. Saying Arrington isn't close to Urlacher is foolish.

Arrington is far and away ahead of Urlacher....in terms of measurables. However, when it comes to playing disciplined ball within the scheme of the defense, Urlacher has him beat by a mile.

One of the announcers in last weeks game commented that we hadn't figured out how to best use LaVar yet. I'm not sure whether that's the case or if LaVar just hasn't figured out what he's supposed to be doing yet. Either way, he just doesn't have the impact on a game that his measureables would suggest.

All I can say is you put Lavar Arrington at middle linebacker and he's going to have 200 tackles a year 10+ sacks a bunch of picks as well! How can you even compare a Middle Linebacker to an Outside Linebacker? That would be like comparing an apple to an orange! Yes they are round but come on! It's all smoke and mirrors from where i'm at LaVar is someone Offenses get film out on and have to study all week.

Arrington is better than Urlacher, but, he's not really found a consistent groove yet. Marty still used him best and he was dominating in 2001. As good as Ray Lewis. He's not reached that level since. With hope he'll get back to that as he continues to grow comfortable in what we're doing.

i think urlacher is a quality player but agree he gets to much respect from the media, 1 because hes the bears mlb and 2 hes white.

you know what i dont like is skinsfans on this board who come out bashing Champ Bailey saying hes rubbish, saying the skins could get by without him, then go on and say what a great player Arrington is, Bailey is worth 10X more in your defense.

I think Arrington has great potential at times he looks like he could dominate a game but he hasn’t shown consistency, discipline & the big play when the games on the line, as Ray Lewis says, pressure makes diamonds and i think thats where Arrington has to step up.

If I were a Skins fan, I would be thoroughly frustrated with Arrington. He has limitless talent, but is as dumb as a brick.

In he first season or 2, teams didn't know what he brought to the table and Arrington was able to use his natuaral ability ti disrupt gameplans.

Now that the book is out on him, he is no more effective than a Shawn Barber, Nate Wayne, old Seaou (no idea on spelling).

I'd be willing to wager that he wouldn't be worth as much on the open market as Julian Peterson (who will be a FA after this season).

For Lavar, it's not about the talent...he just may be too stupid to play in an NFL defense and dominate when it's taking every ounce of his athletic ability just to overcome his mistakes.

Arrington is hands downa more talented player. But unfortunately he is not as smart as Urlacher. Always caught out of postion. Kind of reminds me of the Phillies outfielder Pat Burrell. He tries to hit a home rune every at bat. Take a little of and make contact. Then we will go to the Promise land!!! Hopefully it's soon. I can't take much more of this!!

F51 on Dec 27th. Look out boys, The Big Dawg is coming!!

Archived