Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defense gone soft at the worst possible time

Suffolk_Skins

31 minutes ago, dyst said:

Payne, Allen, and Ioannitis are what you build around. Everyone else on that defense should be considered upgradable.

Except 36..he's a keeper...but haha sure has been a haha joke..that long ass td Cooper was because of haha's lazy ass... I remember watching clips of him when he was with Green Bay seeing several times him quitting on plays.. it looks like he quit on that Cooper touchdown.

It's no secret how to disrupt timing and slow down an aggressive passing attack. What amazes me is how a man like Manusky,  who played under a master at this, "Richie Petitbon" would not emulate some of his schemes. Petitbon was a master at disguising blitzed and challenging receivers at the LOS, and that is why his Defense was a beast every season. In 1991, no team scored a point on his defense in the month of September at home. One of those teams was a division winner with a 12-4 record, who returned to play in the NFC Championship, being the Lions. Again they only put up 10 points as we smoked them again 41-10. He knew how to use his players strengths and cover their weaknesses.  It sickens me to see aggressive corners like Norman have to play soft, when that is not his strength. Maybe Manusky should spend more time watching film and figuring out why he was playing for one of the best defenses in the NFL. The Division title is riding on Manusky and the Defense, our offense will put enough points up to win games, that's for sure.

On 11/24/2018 at 1:34 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Jay hired Manusky because he has the same play not to lose, low risk mentality.

The good news is we got several Alabama players who believe, and were taught, the exact opposite philosophy : Dominate through and through. Focus on that, and not only are you more likely to win or dominate, but also even when you don't win or totally dominate, you'll still know you mentally and physically gave 100% output.

Hopefully, this attitude from numerous Alabama defensive players will to some degree offset the HC and DC philosophy.

You don’t want to focus on winning,” Anderson said, just 25 minutes after Washington’s 16-3 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. “You want to focus on dominating. You can win a game, 55-50. You didn’t dominate it. So I really focus on dominating, and I feel like if we’re dominating, we control our box. Winning follows. You don’t think about the end result first. I don’t wake up every morning and say, ‘Win this game.’ What is that? First, it’s, ‘What do I got to do to win it?’ I’ve got to practice. I’ve got to watch film. I’ve got to get to the ball. I’ve got to hold guys accountable, and guys have to hold me accountable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-players-and-fans-can-agree-on-this-this-time-build-something-that-lasts/2018/11/16/360b6d7c-e9ce-11e8-bbdb-72fdbf9d4fed_story.html?utm_term=.28cbf722f182

11 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

but haha sure has been a haha joke..that long ass td Cooper was because of haha's lazy ass... I remember watching clips of him when he was with Green Bay seeing several times him quitting on plays.. it looks like he quit on that Cooper touchdown.

Are you referring to the longer of the 2 TD's ? The 90-something yard one ?

Because I just watched the 40-something yard one, and he did what you described twice on that same play.

So it would be pretty sad if he did it another time on the 2nd long TD.

Archived