Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's the deal with Linux?

codeorama

I have been using linux since Red Hat 5.0 was released (hmm 1999?)

So here you go.

What is linux?

It is a free operating system that is built and supported by a lose network of software engineers. Linus Torvold (Founder of Linux) has the final approval before things are added / modified to the publically release kernel. (Or those that are Lead Developers for the project; TCP/IP tuning or Hardware drivers for USB 2.0 support.)

What the hell is a kernel?

The kernel is the mind of the operating system (i.e. the brain).

The kernel is the building block of the whole operating system.

What is open source?

Open source - anyone and everyone can take a look at the source code of the operating system. (Microsoft refuses to do this, it allows them to keep a competetive advantage in desktop applications (Office, Word, IE). It is widely believed Microsoft has built in functions that only the company knows about that use in Internet Explorer that make it markedly faster when running on windows OS.

How much is it?

Its free. Simply download the ISO's (CD images of the software usually 3-5 CD's depending on the "flavor" of Linux) and install them from the CD.

Flavor? WTF are you talking about man

Flavor is simply refering to the different "types" of the distrution. (RedHat, SuSE, TurboLinux, etc...) Think of this Chocolate Ice Cream (Dark, Milky, Swirl etc..)

[line]

Linux can be changed to do WHATEVER you want it to do.

Want to compile the software to run on your watch? Sure it can do that.

Want it to help sort the Human Genome? Sure its doing that right now. (The worlds fastest computers are Large scale Linus clusters)

Want to create a firewall to protect your network? Sure Linux can do that.

Most benchmark tests for operating systems are won by Linux running mySQL database (The Microsoft setup is 2003 Server and SQL Database)

I use it run www.1310gaming.com (side company) and run some home application.

Originally posted by codeorama

Does anyone have any insight into linux?

I understand it's an operating system that can take the place of windows, but what is all the hype about?

It is open source software.

The problem is and everyone will be feeling this soon are these new "flash" viruses coming soon. These types of viruses will be hitting every type of system. The sad and scary fact is before when someone releases a virus into the internet it takes a while before it catches steam maybe a couple of weeks or days. These new types of viruses will be in full force in hours or minutes, the very scary thing is a firewall won't do you any good :(

These viruses are created with open source and that is the problem with detecting them. If it is open source then you don't have to follow any rules or restrictions, you also don't have something to use as guidance.

Originally posted by jbooma

It is open source software.

The problem is and everyone will be feeling this soon are these new "flash" viruses coming soon. These types of viruses will be hitting every type of system. The sad and scary fact is before when someone releases a virus into the internet it takes a while before it catches steam maybe a couple of weeks or days. These new types of viruses will be in full force in hours or minutes, the very scary thing is a firewall won't do you any good :(

These viruses are created with open source and that is the problem with detecting them. If it is open source then you don't have to follow any rules or restrictions, you also don't have something to use as guidance.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

What the hell do you think open source is?

Following rules when writting Viruses? LAUGH! - Please there are no rules. Find a hole/exploit and attack it. Then use the OS / or self developed piece of code to spread it.

What exactly do you do? I.E. Are you a software engineer? OS engineer? Embedded Engineer?

Originally posted by codeorama

Ok, great info, but let me ask, doesn't most software run on windows?

For example, the software I have at home for various things (home recording studio software, movie software etc...) won't run on linux, right?

Correct. But there are Linux versions of the same software -- or free versions of it.

Name a piece of software I will tell you the free version

Office? Try OpenOffice. IF you are hooked on MSFT office SuSE allows you to run MS Office on SuSE Linux.

And another thing... :silly:

Seriously Dexter, I have been thinking about running Linux on one of my home computers. Do I need to get rid of the MS platform, or will the Linux install take care of everything for me? Also, there there any type of list open source SW on the net - and would you suggest using Linux over MS (say 2000 or XP)?

I sell alot of Sun Microsystems boxes with Linux as the platform. The advantage is the "open source", making it easier for network administrators and engineers to maniuplate the software to do certain things and interface with other softwares. Java and Microsoft OS prevent the full maniuplation of the code.

Hey..anyone need a Sun Microsystem server for Christmas?

Originally posted by Phat Hog

Seriously Dexter, I have been thinking about running Linux on one of my home computers. Do I need to get rid of the MS platform, or will the Linux install take care of everything for me? Also, there there any type of list open source SW on the net - and would you suggest using Linux over MS (say 2000 or XP)?

Linux will allow you to dual-boot a system. (Meaning, when you start the system, a "boot loader" asks you which OS you want to boot, and then loads that one.

There are some restrictions. One big one is that first, you'll have to find room on your hard drive for a Linux partition. (Many linux installers, however, will scan your existing drive, and shrink your existing information into a smaller partition, giving you enough free area to create a linux partition.)

(Another "gotcha" is that, while every OS will allow you to use a boot loader, MS doesn't like people to have choices, so all of their OS installers, if you install or, in most cases, upgrade, your MS OS, will search your drive for boot loaders and remove them. If the system you put Linux on is running, say, Win Me, and you set it up to dual-boot Me and Linux, and then you decide to upgrade the Me to XP, don't be surprised if you lose the choice to boot Linux.)

However, these kinds of considerations only apply when you're installing a new operating system, and most folks don't do that very often. (Although, I'd bet the typical Linux user does it more often, just because of the kind of people who're using it right now.)

Another point:

Just about any "retail" linux package doesn't just contain an OS. It'll come with a ton of applications, from a bunch of other sources. Just about any one you see, for example, will include OpenOffice, a free, open source, replacement for MS Office 2000. (It'll even read and write MS-compatable documents, spreadsheets, and so forth.) (It's also available for Windows, for free, at www.openoffice.org, for those folks who don't want to pay $800 for MS software, and don't want to steal it.)

This also means that there are frequently a bunch of choices as to which software you use to perform a particular task. (I think there are over a dozen e-mail programs, for example). While all these choices mean you're in charge, they also mean it can be confusing when you start out, because you can't tell what the differences are.

Some things to expect:

One drawback of being a "minority" OS is: the world doesn't revolve around Linux. When you buy, say, a new printer, it isn't going to come with a CD that automaticly installs you printer into Linux. (yet).

There are lots of people on the net who will be perfectly happy (even eager) to help. (The folks who write, improve, and support Linux do this because they enjoy it). But, let's face it: Even the best internet discussion group isn't quite as easy to use as "insert CD, then click 'Next' 12 times".

OTOH, you can be pretty confident that the program you're installing won't contain code that's real purpose is to keep records of every web page you visit, and send the information to "Spam-R-Us".

Originally posted by Dexter's Better

You have no idea what you are talking about.

What the hell do you think open source is?

Following rules when writting Viruses? LAUGH! - Please there are no rules. Find a hole/exploit and attack it. Then use the OS / or self developed piece of code to spread it.

What exactly do you do? I.E. Are you a software engineer? OS engineer? Embedded Engineer?

You are right you don't follow rules but you can see similarities in other code. Hackers are just like companies, they share information with one another. What I can tell is you I work a lot around security and have seen some of these new viruses, I can assume you have not.

All I was trying to say is yes everyone complains about Microsoft beeing vulnerable, but what most people don't know the same goes with Linux, Unix, etc......

And another thing... :silly:

Nope you Can dual boot. I duel boot Window 2000 Sp4 and Redhat 9.0

Originally posted by jbooma

You are right you don't follow rules but you can see similarities in other code. Hackers are just like companies, they share information with one another. What I can tell is you I work a lot around security and have seen some of these new viruses, I can assume you have not.

All I was trying to say is yes everyone complains about Microsoft beeing vulnerable, but what most people don't know the same goes with Linux, Unix, etc......

The Best virus I have ever seen was written in Assembly. -- OS independant.

Originally posted by Skeletor The Invincible

Most servers run on Linux, it's just so much easier than running on Windows.

But Windows is much more.. uh, Home-user friendly.

OK, your answer was the one I was looking for. Thanks, that helps me to understand big time.

Does that mean you have to be a geek to get the most out of Linux? :(

To get the most out? I'd say yes. But the same is true of Windows. Or a camera. Or just about anything else.

To use Linux? No, you don't. My recommendation is: pick a system (it can be an old system: Linux will run on systems that XP will laugh out loud at. Although, if you want to run GUI (think "Windows", as opposed to "DOS") you can't just pull the 286 out of the garage.), throw Linux on it, and fool around with it. If you stay in the GUI, you can get away without even reading instructions. (How many ways are there to click on an icon?)

If you don't want to pay for an operating system you just intend to fool around with, find somebody (I'll volunteer) to mail you some CDs. (It's legal to just borrow somebody elses CD, or get him to make you a copy. It's free. When you pay for the box at Best Buy, you're paying for the cost of producing the box, the CDs, the manual, and some tech support if you need it.)

Most folks (myself included) learn mostly by fooling around with something. I've heard that Wal-Mart online (not in the stores) is selling $200 computers with Linux pre-installed.

I think you'll find (I did) the biggest difference is that Linux will give you a lot more choices. That's one advantage somebody like MS has: they've made the choices for you. Your computer will come with Internet Explorer, Notepad, and Outlook Express. The default app for multimedia will be MS Media Player. Yes, there are a lot of other players out there you can pick and chose, just like there are for Linux. But the folks who prepare the packaged Linux distributions don't go as far towards forcing a default choice on you. (Try to get a MS computer that doesn't have icons pre-installed on the desktop to sign you up for MSN and AOL.)

Archived