Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it fair to expect a lot more next year?

@DCGoldPants

I say YES.

Coles and Ramsey in the system for another year.

Hopefully a huge upgrade at OL coach (Grimm) and Special Teams. Fixing the DL while keeping Edwards and maybe getting him a better DL coach.

I don't know but as much as I called for Spurrier's head this year, I am glad that we'll have the same head coach again. Hopefully this offseason will be used to really tune it up and take the team we put together in 03 with a few tweeks and let em loose.

That is all, you'll now be returned to your normally scheduled posts.

Well Bufford, it is definately fair to expect a lot more next season. A lot more meaning playoffs. No longer can we use the lack of continuity excuse, cuz it appears as though the organization is committed to keeping the Ball Coach around. Also, where as a year ago we weren't even in alot of the games, we have been in many games right down to the wire this year. Easily, one could say we could have 7 or 8 wins right now. The mere fact that we are playing alot of good teams really tight this year would make it a complete disappointment if we don't progress next year and take the next step.

i agree. i'll be expecting more. the question is: how much more will be acceptable? making the playoffs? winning the first round? taking it to the nfc championship game? superbowl? at this point, i'm not sure as it will depend a lot on the moves made during the off season. the DL definately needs to be addressed, as does our CB depth (assuming champ stays) with a coaching change or two thrown in for good measure.

It's totally fair to expect more out of this team next season. I expected more out of them THIS year. It just didn't happen, so we got to look to next year. If they can't at least make a run for the playoffs next year, then it will never happen with Coach Spurrier at the helm. Keepng my fingers crossed.....

I won't look at it in terms of "how far" the team goes, or even necessarily a playoff spot. I'll be looking more at simply how the team plays.

Obviously, anything less than 9-7 would be a monstrous disappointment ... but if they're playing sound, solid football week in and week out, and are clearly a team on the come, I won't let bad breaks in injuries to key players or a few bad breaks on game days that might keep us out of the playoffs dictate whether or not I consider the team a disappointment.

That would make the season a disappointment, yes, but it would also let me know for sure that we're on the right track.

i expect us to get better barring injuries. we made HUGE strides last offseason in terms of offensive personell, and I imagine this year we'll do the same on the DL. Synder gets alot of hate but I don't question the guy that much because I know he wants to win as badly as we do. People complain that his decisions are aggressive and sometimes irrational, but he hardly makes the same mistake twice and I can't fault him for trying hard and adapting.

I have been one of the most vocal Spurrier supporters on this board and I say that we have every right to expect the playoffs next year barring some tragic incident involving half the starters being injured.

Spurrier said he could get it done it three years, history shows that most successful coaches are in stride in year three, so based on that, if the team struggles to another non playoff season, then I'll be calling for Spurrier to step down like he says he will.

However, I will not be calling for Spurrier to be fired during the season UNLESS we are 0-7 or something crazy.

I'm not going to panic if we get off to a slow start though.

It's certainly fair if you think of this being the third year. A team with relative stability. Fewer changes are likely this year if Spurrier stays. But on the other hand, I'm not sure it's fair for a major reason. Spurrier has been here most of two years and he can't seem to figure out who he is.

He's still now talking about doing things that are different than he knows. Rather than lifting the team to make it work with his view of what breeds success, he seems to be giving up, settling. Changing who he is. What he expects. What he can coach.

And if that's the case, we may have to suffer through him finding his personality anew.

He'll be 3 years into his system and have the type of players he wants, so there will be no excuse for legit shot at playoffs a double digit winning season.

If he doesn't then it will be time to revisit who we want for a new coach. I don't want any coaching change during the season. Snyder needs to take his medicine and wait it out. This will help in bringing in a good coach (hopefully won't be needed).

Archived