Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best DT situation for next year

panel

I'd love Gardner and Russell with Noble and Haley has the backups. Haley was by far our best Dt when healthy and Noble will be back in 04. I'd move Holsey back to his natural De to play on run downs. I'd keep Zellner and 1 of Wynn or Upshaw. I think with Holsey and Wynn we'd be good againest the run at De and keep people off the backers.might even play DRuss at De like the Raiders did especially on run downs moving to Dt on 3rd. I'd put Lavar at RDE on 3rd downs standing up is fine he'll do better thier and can't make mental mistakes in coverage plus he can get you 10 sacks easily. I'd like to get a speed De to hopefully come from LDE Ogunleye sure would be perfect. Does anyone no the cap savings for cutting Wynn and Upshaw?

Call me a Gardner, Russel guy but I would add a 1st rnd pick if there was a quality available.

I have no idea what the crop of DL look like for the '05 draft(either DT or DE), but the FO should be looking out that far at least. If the consensus is that next year's draft or FA will provide the young talent we're looking for, then we can survive the season with option #1 listed above, but I'd like to be building our DL through the draft.

But, as mentioned numerous times already, it doesn't look as if there are any supa-quality DLs available.

If I were to play G.M. for a day, I'd say go with Russell and Holsey. Bernard H. has been playing well over the last 2 or 3 games. I would only consider Gardener if he came cheap like last season. He has a much different attitude once he gets a big payday. And it instantly reflects in his play! Ask Denver and Miami.:hump:

Originally posted by Demoralized Canadian Hog

Only and only if Gardner comes back would I say go after a running back in the draft. The guy would be great for us and I think he kinda regrets not resigning here. Let's remember that he was arguably our MVP last year. He seemed to be well accepted and liked.

what do you want a running back for? we dont use them. we had a perennial 1300 yard rusher here and he sat on the bench.

Holsey is this year's carl powell. He's a good swingman with a good motor but maybe not a full time starter. I'd definitely resign him though. Better to have a high motor guy with limited upside than a great talent with no interest.

I'd love Russell to come back but only at the right price. Under $2 mil a year. Gardener only for minimum with incentives.

If we can sign one of these guys, any two of Noble, Dalton, or Haley would be ok.

Alot of interesting options -- one isn't possible though. Noble is not coming back next year if ever. He tore all three ligaments in his knee and the meniscus. Supposedly the recovery time is at least 18 months if it is even possible. He got hurt in August -- that puts him out, even in the best of circumstances until the end of next season. Love the guy - don't think he'll be back.

I hope everything falls into place concerning next year's D-line. Russell has said we will get the first crack at signing him and he will probably want a multi-year deal. The Gardener situation is fragile and all his difficulty in Denver doesn't automatically put him on the fast track back to DC. Noble will, in all probability, not be returning next year with the severity of his knee injury. I do see Haley, Holsey, and Dalton returning next year with Chase being kicked to the curb.

As for the DE position, Smith is gone leaving Upshaw, Zellner and Wynn. These three don't really impress and haven't shown any outside pass rush.

Getting an interior push and an outside pass rush is key. If we can resign Russell and Gardener, use draft picks to get a good DE, a sign a capable FA DE, things could fall into place.

Remember how good the Skins looked on paper last offeason and see how things can go bad. Hopefully we can do well this offseason and prove that the Skins are for real in 2004.

I totally agree laurent. He was hyping himself up when he played for us and he payed well. He was actually quite an a*s in public about his negotiations with Snyder. Danny gave him a great contract with an insurance clause pertaining to his back and he wouldn't accept it.

He has sucessfuly shown that e has no desire for anything other than the betterment of his salery. Eff him and Eff Russell if he asks for too much.............

We resurected his effin a*S

I can't believe that this poll doesn't contain our best DT this year. Holsey has been the only one playing really well consistantly.

Russell looks like a bruce smith out there. He shoots a gap to get into the backfield and runners just fly right by him. In a 2-gap system, that's bad.

-DB

Noble is already walking and can start straight line running soon. He said he plans to be ready for 04 and the doctors did a great job fixing his knee. It was just in a redskin.com articule. I think Holsey should move to LDE his natural postion on run downs with Wynn be released or moved to Rde. I think Russell should even play some De on run downs like the Raiders did with him it'll give us a bigger line and clog up the running lanes. The player that impressed me in watching the Saints,Giants games over last night was Dalton he's really balling.

Russell, top draft pick start; Noble, Haley reserve

this was my choice. totally depends on Russell's contract demands (is he gonna pull a DGardner? *******) and where we draft. but as of now it looks like we can snag Randy Starks in the mid-first if we want him. the earlier we draft the more chance we have at landing Wilfork or Tommy Harris. i want to build this position from within. i like the idea of using Noble as a situational DT, short yardage situations, as well as in a rotation. Holsey and Dalton can also help provide good depth at the position. funny enough, it seems like with that lineup it could become a strength on the team in just one season. then we really have to shore up the DE position...

If the contract is reasonable, I have no problem bringing Gardener back here. SUre, the guy might have an attitude, but he really seemed to like it in DC and got along with the players and coaches.

I'll say it before, and I'll say it again, the situation in Denver is more a result of the enormous pole Mike Shanahan has shoved up his ass then it is with Gardener and his problems.

One thing to remember with anybody suggesting we get Garnder back is that he is going to be June 1 cut to defer some of his cap hit. Plus I'm not sure pinning our hopes on a nut is such a good idea. If anything, sign him as a back up and let him prove he deserves he wants to be on the field........I will always be leary of a player who says outright to the media, that he didn't give his all on particular plays.

Archived