Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stop the QB Controversy Poll

BD

I think this QB controversy is total BS.

What we're seeing here is an unknown QB succeeding because no one has yet game planned for him. It's just like Tim Rattay with the Niners earlier this year - he wins two out of three games, gets hot, gets the ball to T.O., people are talking QB controversy... and then he gets manhandled in Green Bay once they figure out his weaknesses.

Hasselbeck (like Wuerffel against the Rams last year), is a guy who is running a more conservative version of Spurrier's offense because he doesn't have the ability to get the ball downfield (See those two badly-underthrown balls on Sunday).

If Ramsey ran that system - a run first, more conservative system - he'd have even more success than Hasselbeck, because he would make those two throws. If anything, Hasselbeck's success has illustrated how much playcalling sucked during Ramsey's losses.

Does anyone think Hasselbeck would've fared better in the Tampa Bay game? In the first Dallas game, facing 9 rushers? In the Carolina game? Heck no. He's faced the easiest Defenses in our schedule in NO and NY - a healthy #11 would've done even better against those two.

And yet some folks are talking about a QB controversy. As if what we saw after the first four games was the real Patrick Ramsey - and we all know it isn't. We all know how awful those beatings were, how they broke his body down. And we all have seen what he's capable of when healthy. Hasselbeck is a very good backup - but he's a backup. As a starter, he'd be no better than Shane Matthews or Wuerffel.

Thus, I offer this poll. Vote.

I agree its generally a silly conversation. However, in fairness to Hasselback, we can't assume he'd have done no better than Patrick. Its impossible to know. With quicker reads and decision-making, he might have succeeded in some of the games Patrick was pummelled in. We can't know. But Ramsey's upside (God, I said the word!) is so incredible, there's no way anyone should suggest Hasselback should be considered to start next year.

Now, let us go 0-4 with Ramsey struggling? Whole new conversation.

Tarhog -

If next season, Ramsey clearly regresses - is unable to do the things we've seen him do in the pass, can't throw the ball with accuracy, looks totally confused in games, hampered by injury, etc. - in other words, turns into Drew Brees...

We can have that discussion if (and it's a pretty big IF) that ever happens. But right now, we're talking about how the team should start the next season - how they should enter minicamp - and in my mind, you cannot have a QB controversy that's anything but an invention of overactive minds at this point.

BD

I wouldn't announce it or anything. I would even come out and say "Patrick is the starter" regardless of what hasselbeck does the rest of the year, but I want spurrier to have it in the back of his mind that if hasselbeck improves in the offseason, masters the offense, etc. that he has the ability to take the job from patrick. If hasslebeck is better he should get the start. Mighty big if, though.

-DB

I think this QB controversy is total BS

There is no controversy...

Ramsey is the man.

Ramsey will be the man.

Some (ASF) will argue that Hasselback has been more successful running the offense.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

1. Hasselback has had the fortune of playing with the offensive line actually doing their job. When they did their job with Ramsey in, he's been very effective (see Seattle game).

2. Ramsey has taken a constant pounding. That WILL ratttle you, no matter who you are. Hasselback would probably only put up half the numbers Ramsey could, if he stays healthy and fresh.

3. "Ramsey hold on to the ball too long..."

Either that's what Spurrier is calling or just the way Ramsey plays....he doesn't do the short dumpoffs to the RB and TE. He passes to the WRs who's routes take longer to develop. If he takes hasselback's approach and passes to the shorter routes his releases would be quicker also.

4. Patrick has a QB rating of 75.8

Tim, in a extremely conservative-wco type-watered down version of the fng, he has a QB rating of 74.6

Hmmm....

5. "If Hasselback had a defense then he would have won the past 3 games...."

Please, like the defense with Ramsey was any better?

He would be 5-2 (2 = Dallas, Bills) if we had a D.

I love Hasselback, I'm glad we have him, I hope he stays awaile, and I'm glad he beat the lowly Giants, but he's a backup...and that's it...

i wouldn't say there shouldn't be a competition. i don't take pat is the kind of guy who cracks under pressure so competition will probably make him better and more coachable (not saying he's uncoachable). i would hope that pat and tim take the offseason as if it is an open competition so we can have the best starter and backup possible.

If we go undefeated the rest of the season and Tim say has 4 tds and kills Dallas this week, then let the best man win next year. :cool:

Remember these are big IF's and Dallas has to win this game to make the playoffs, if they lose they might be home like us :) Which would be the best xmas or holiday gift to every redskin fan.

:dallasuck :dallasuck

For all of you who think there is a QB controversy, go back and watch the first 3 games of the season, before Ramsey was hurting.

He moved around so much better. He did the kinda things Hasselbeck is doing now. I went back and watched some of them, he was awesome.

I agree with just about all of you. There is no controversy and if there is one it is simply ridiculous. There is a very good reason why TH went undrafted (he simply doesnt have the tools to be a very good QB). TH is smart and decisive but lacks arm strength and vision. He is a serviceable starter and a solid back up. I like the fact that he picked up the offense quickly but as many have said in previous posts the offense is being run much more conservatively.

The offense line is also starting to gel. This is another reason for TH's sucess. He hasnt faced as much pressure as Ramsey had been. And since the majority of the plays are being called as runs TH doesnt take the abuse Ramsey was taking.

Patrick Ramsey is regarded by most scouts as a budding star who is going to be a solid NFL QB. He has poise in the pocket, throws one hell of a long ball, is clearly tough, and simply needs to learn to get rid of the ball earlier. Not only is there no controversy but it is apparent that Ramsey is a year or two away from being a very good QB.

If Tim wins out this season, that is beating Dallas, Philly, and Chicago, you'd have to be madd to not offer up a challenge next year. It can only help the team in the long run. Both of these guys posses certain qualities that the other doesn't. It just comes down to what style you prefer. People keep stating that SS calls WCO style plays while TH is in there. Well you know what? What they've been doing seems to be working, even in the losses. Some may argue that TH is absolutely horrible, the second coming of DW if you will. That ain't nothing but playa hating at the lowest level.

Right now there isn't a controversy because both players aren't healthy. Just wait 'til next year. Both qb's are going to come in gunning like a M/F.

Answer me this: How do we know that Hasselbeck doesn't have an arm if he's rarely ever thrown a pass further than 20yds?

Originally posted by tkatz

I agree with just about all of you. There is no controversy and if there is one it is simply ridiculous. There is a very good reason why TH went undrafted (he simply doesnt have the tools to be a very good QB). TH is smart and decisive but lacks arm strength and vision. He is a serviceable starter and a solid back up. I like the fact that he picked up the offense quickly but as many have said in previous posts the offense is being run much more conservatively.

The offense line is also starting to gel. This is another reason for TH's sucess. He hasnt faced as much pressure as Ramsey had been. And since the majority of the plays are being called as runs TH doesnt take the abuse Ramsey was taking.

Patrick Ramsey is regarded by most scouts as a budding star who is going to be a solid NFL QB. He has poise in the pocket, throws one hell of a long ball, is clearly tough, and simply needs to learn to get rid of the ball earlier. Not only is there no controversy but it is apparent that Ramsey is a year or two away from being a very good QB.

Just because a guy goes undrafted doesn't mean he doesn't have the tools. I mean how many times does a team pick up a player that actually pans out anyway. Didn't Kurt Warner go undrafted?

It is true that not all Un-drafted players are bad. Infact a lot of them turn out pretty good. But I said that there "was a reason" he went undrafted. That is because he simply isnt a complete QB. That is not to say that he cant be a reliable backup which he is but he is never going to be as good as Ramsey is or is going to be.

If you watch old BC games you will see his long balls come up short in most cases. He doesnt have the arm strength to throw the ball deep. And I think you answered that question yourself. Clearly if he isnt throw more then 20 yard balls the coaches feel that he cant make those kind of throws. I am not taking anything away from him but there was a ton of reasons why Ramsey wasnt playing up to his potential (none the less he was playing well). The defense was giving up more points, the line was not playing as well, the play calling was simply awful, and we werent running the ball enough. All these things have improved over the past few weeks and they are out of ramseys control..

Archived