Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is it?

Art

The moment Kerry Collins went out, George Edwards actually allowed the defense to play aggressively. We ran some nice stunts up front and had some blitz packages. We even SOLD out on the blitz on the fourth and 10. This is what we should have been doing ALL game and season long. Now, there are times you can tell a smart team and QB would burn us, but that's ok. At least we're doing something different. It was refreshing to see. I just hated only seeing it when Palmer was in there.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

Probably just because of that. We all remember 3rd and 16 vs the Bucs. And some of the other all out blitzes which a smart QB led to a big play. Go after the kid who had only 39 yards passing in his career. Going after a smart QB wont always work

It's not about always working, SHF. It's about the possiblility that it could SOMETIMES work. Tell me one other time you recall an 8-man blitz out of this team? We don't know what might happen if we tried it here and there.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

I do tend to agree with you Art. I just think Edwards was a little scared to get after Collins after the way he torched the Skins in Week 3. And he hasn't really gone after many QB's at all this year fearing it.

If it were up to me we'd be blitzing all the time from God knows where directions. Zone blitzes, corner blitzes, lb's, whatever just HIT THE DAMN QB

Part of the problem, of course, is when we do blitz, we don't do it right. We play yards off the ball allowing openings to the opposition to complete passes. We have YET to all-out blitz while bringing our corners up tight in man coverage and damn the consequences if they slip or something. That's the style of player we have here on the outside. But we don't cater to their abilities. Hell, even Dallas puts Mario Edwards in that sort of coverage. We can do more than we do.

I think we blitz enough, we just aren't very effective with our blitzes, for several various reasons.

I've seen us blitz 3 or 4 guys, but somehow they are all picked up, and the QB picks us apart. For some reason, maybe given their backup offensive line, our blitzes were killing the Giants and we actually got a lot of pressure.

How can I agree with blitzing all the time??

I am happy we blitzed with an unexperienced QB who we knew would have a hard time of beating us with his arm. The thing to remember, though, is this....even when we blitzed, the QB did have some time to get the ball away. I more experienced QB, who doesn't hold down to the ball as long as this guy did, would have probably burned us.

That is why we don't blitz all the time.

Archived