Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT:Spurrier eyes first road win in NFC East

TK

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20031207-122530-9530r.htm

Spurrier eyes first road win in NFC East

By Mark Zuckerman

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

When you're 4-8, all but mathematically eliminated from the playoffs and have four games left, you'll take any kind of motivation you can get. For the Washington Redskins, motivation today comes in the form of an equally struggling division rival also stumbling to the finish.

A victory against the New York Giants (4-8) wouldn't salvage a season that went awry long ago. But it would certainly do wonders for the Redskins' fragile psyche, if only because division road wins have been so rare in recent years.

"To get to 5-8 and have a division win and to have a win on the road — those are things we haven't done well," tackle Jon Jansen said. "All those things combine to make this game a big one for our organization right now."

Of all the negative numbers associated with Steve Spurrier's coaching tenure in Washington, perhaps none is as frustrating as the Ball Coach's 1-8 record against NFC East opponents. That lone victory (a season-ending 20-14 triumph over Dallas last December) came at FedEx Field, making the Redskins 0-5 on the road against division rivals under Spurrier.

They may not get a better chance to end that string of futility than today against the reeling Giants at snowy Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

Like Washington, New York had high hopes for this season after a 2-1 start. And as with the Redskins, things have taken a drastic turn for the worse since.

Losers of four straight and seven of their last nine, the Giants are struggling every bit as much as the Redskins. Coach Jim Fassel has little chance of saving his job, and with key starters like cornerbacks Will Allen and Will Peterson and tight end Jeremy Shockey battling injuries, New York would appear to have little left to play for.

The motivation for the Giants, then, is similar to that for the Redskins: Beat a longtime rival, escape last place in the division.

"You want to beat anybody you play, especially your division opponents, because it's almost for bragging rights and it leads into next season," defensive end Michael Strahan said. "I think for us, we definitely need to win this game, first of all for ourselves and secondly from a rival standpoint because it's the Redskins."

Given the poor play by both teams and the likely poor conditions at Giants Stadium, this game may not be pretty. Most of the snowstorm that swept through the Northeast yesterday is expected to have passed by game time, but there could be some lingering flakes, a sloppy field and plenty of wind with which to contend.

Those are hardly ideal playing conditions, but for Redskins quarterback Tim Hasselbeck, it should feel just like home. Hasselbeck, who will make his second career start in place of injured Patrick Ramsey, spent most of his childhood in Massachusetts and has plenty of experience battling the elements.

"If it was snowing outside, we'd always go outside and throw the football around," he said. "I don't know if that makes me any better than somebody else. You know, Brett Favre's from Mississippi, and he's one of the best cold-weather quarterbacks there's ever been. But I'm not intimidated by the cold weather or anything. Would I like it to be like it was in Miami [two weeks ago]? Sure, every quarterback would. But I'm not looking at it and being worried what it's going to be like if it snows."

Hasselbeck enters this game with plenty of motivation to perform well. After two solid but unspectacular games, the 25-year-old quarterback is still trying to prove he deserves a permanent spot on an NFL roster.

With the probability of Ramsey being shut down for the season more and more likely, the Redskins should have ample opportunity to evaluate Hasselbeck over the next month.

"He's only played two games in his life," Spurrier said. "He's done pretty doggone well."

Hasselbeck's teammates may not be under as much pressure to perform down the stretch, but each has found some form of motivation to keep himself from succumbing to Washington's lost season.

"We're going out to win every time out there, whether it's for the Super Bowl or whether it's to get to 5-8," Jansen said. "Obviously, a lot more people would be interested if it were the Super Bowl. But we have a job to do here and we're going to do it."

in my mind the Redskins have to win this game.

the team has been close the last 3 games amid some adversity and now are facing another team that is facing some uncertainty of its own.

the Giants offensive line may be the worst in the NFC right now and their top players on offense including Barber and Shockey are not having good years. Fassel is on the hot seat despite leading the team to the playoffs last year.

the last 3 Giants/Redskins games have come down to plays in the fourth quarter or overtime.

the Redskins have failed to make them.

tomorrow has to be the start of something new.

Word of out NY is Shockey and Petitgout are out for the game.

I am afraid of this game. If we lose, its exactly the type of loss that could send the whole franchise spiraling down to depths of which we dare not think.

Dare I say even worse than than following the 9-7 loss to the Giants that got Turner fired.

This whole season has been miserable.

I wanted to see progress this year. The all-important year 3 of the plan is looming next year.

This team isn't going to turn any corner by next year. And Spurrier will quit during the 2005 offseason.

It's this type of game that is all too familar to us Skin's fans. Out of contention for the playoffs, miserable weather, away game, around the holidays. I'd be very surprised if we even put up a good fight. I know the Giants are in the same boat, except it's a home game, but given the recent plight of the Skins I'd bet on another loss. I hate to say it but SS & company are not that bright.

the Redskins have played better the past few weeks and now have to start taking advantage of their fourth quarter opportunities to get wins.

Right now, the Skins are going to be among the top 15 picks in any event, I think it is more important if Spurrier stays for 2004 to get wins at this stage than play for draft position.

We have a lot of young high draft choices on this club already, the problem has been getting them to perform up to the expectations we and the team have for them.

This has not been a great year for Chris Samuels, LaVar Arrington or Jon Jansen.

It has been perhaps a solid year but not a true pro bowl year for Champ Bailey.

Ramsey started fast but amid myriad problems with the line and backs and his own 'hitting the wall' in midseason, the club has failed to get clutch quarterbacking when it was needed most in more than a few games.

Where Taylor Jacobs is is also a concern.

You take a guy #2 who is already familiar with the system and even taking into account his early injury and rookie status, should be starting to come on and pass guys like Patrick Johnson and McCants, who don't figure to have the same combination of skills.

I agree w/ Bulldog, after loosing three tough games in the fourth quarter it would be nice to see the Redskins go into NY and take care of business. I think that would go along way towards building a condusive atmousphere for looking towards next year as a year to excel.

And even more of a pipedream, this team would be set up nicely if we can sweep the division rivals these last four weeks of the season and wind up 3-3 vs. the NFC East. Talk about a boost for next year.

Archived