Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marketing & Promotion

Sacks 'n' Stuff

I just relocated after running youth sports programs, camps, and leadership groups in VA for a decade. I've started a non-profit and we have partnered with a local adult league to sponsor youth travel teams. We have a great infrastructure and will be able to offer free programs for the kids but I am having trouble raising awareness for the program.

There are 2 millions people within 15 miles of me. For the travel teams, we are looking for 7 high-level players in each age group. The schools and other leagues / programs have been a dead end. We have an advertising budget but I just don't know I can reach that many people without spending ridiculous amounts of money.

We do have a Google Ad Grant worth up to $10,000 a month in free advertising but just using relevant keywords, I'm only reaching maybe 300 people per day.

the high level ones generally are steered into existing programs here, personal interaction with the coaches and leagues is your best bet....or targeting new arrivals.

perhaps a skills camp/event might net a few

what sport might be helpful 

You're not going to reach and hit critical mass in year one.

theres a marketing adage: go to where your customers are.

Digitally, Facebook is a good start. 

Where are kids and parents who play sports going now? Ball fields? Indoor facilities? Church? 

Also, what are your registration goals?

then analyze your media: digital, print, tv, radio, word of mouth-some are going to be more accessible to you than others at this point. But I'd make an honest effort in each one.

the critical part is tracking which media is getting you results, although that could change as you grow._

Oh wow, thanks for the replies everyone. I thought this thread had slipped to the recesses of the forum with no response.

On 11/5/2016 at 7:33 AM, Mufumonk said:

Are you in the DMV? 

No. Dallas-Fort Worth.

On 11/5/2016 at 7:54 AM, Burgold said:

Wish I was better at this. Are you working social media only or trying grass roots on the ground stuff too? Can you canvas local schools and what not?

Yes to social media. I've tried the schools but that hasn't been much help. Haven't been here long enough to do much on the ground plus I'm not sure that would be very efficient anyway... too much ground to cover.

On 11/5/2016 at 8:17 AM, twa said:

the high level ones generally are steered into existing programs here, personal interaction with the coaches and leagues is your best bet....or targeting new arrivals.

perhaps a skills camp/event might net a few

what sport might be helpful 

Flag Football meant to supplement their current team / league in the offseason. I'm a tackle football guy by nature.

On 11/5/2016 at 8:23 AM, Elessar78 said:

Where are kids and parents who play sports going now? Ball fields? Indoor facilities? Church? 

Also, what are your registration goals?

Yeah the kids are in existing leagues and programs but there's too many for me to hit them all plus other leagues are generally a little skeptical about people offering other opportunities to their current players. Our registration goals are low. We're a club / travel / all-star team so we are only looking for 7 kids in each age group. Somewhere in that 1.5 million households, there are 7 pretty talented kids in each age.

Something you will probably run into is many current coaches/leagues have veto power here....or try to .:ols:

My experience in pealing off some for baseball travel/all stars was a eye opener and I think football might be worse.and that was after being part of the leagues for yrs and with UH player support. 

Archived