Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Woody:Redskins need a back like Davis

TK

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031772160125&path=!sports!redskins&s=1045855935462

Redskins need a back like Davis

Team's ground game presents no threat to opposing defenses

BY PAUL WOODY

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, November 18, 2003

By now you might have noticed.

Things aren't going so well for the Washington Redskins.

They have lost five of their past six games, and their offense is in danger of becoming one-dimensional.

A solution might be to find a running back similar to the one employed by the Carolina Panthers.

Stephen Davis ran for 92 yards Sunday and scored two touchdowns, including the game-winner with 1:09 left in the fourth quarter. Davis has gained 1,084 yards rushing this season, 100 yards more than the entire Redskins' ground game.

Davis' exploits are familiar to the Redskins. He spent the first seven seasons of his NFL career playing for Washington. The Redskins released Davis after last season, ostensibly for salary-cap reasons, but also because he was a less-than-perfect fit for the offense Spurrier favors.

Spurrier was at a loss for words when the topic of Davis came up after the game.

"What do you want me to say?" Spurrier said. "Stephen is having a wonderful year. We all know that. He's an excellent back. He's a big factor in Carolina being 8-2."

The Redskins were 7-9 last season with Davis, who played in 12 games before a shoulder injury ended his year. Perhaps to Spurrier, that suggested Davis was not essential to the Redskins' success.

Spurrier seemed to think Davis had nothing better than mixed success against the Redskins on Sunday.

"I thought our run defense was as good as it's been all year," Spurrier said. "Stephen Davis only averaged 3.3 yards on 28 carries."

While 3.3 yards per carry is not outstanding, Carolina still gave Davis 28 rushing attempts. Whenever Davis was on the field, the Redskins had to defend against him. That slows the pass rush. It freezes linebackers on play-action fakes. Often, it means a safety must be committed to run support, limiting the times a defense can line up with both safeties deep to take away long passes.

Davis' ability and the Panthers' determination to run him often make everything else about their offense better.

Without Davis, the Redskins have no such threat. Defenses need not fear Trung Canidate, Rock Cartwright, Chad Morton or Ladell Betts when they line up at running back.

Canidate, the Redskins' starter all season, averaged 1.8 yards per carry against Carolina.

"He's not had a lot of big holes to go through," Spurrier said. "We thought he ran hard [against Carolina]. He ran it up in there. He's a 195-pound tailback running up against a lot of big guys. He needs some big holes, some bigger holes, to make a lot of good yardage."

After letting Davis go, the Redskins failed to find an adequate replacement. Betts was drafted to fill that role but is sidelined with a fractured forearm. He might be able to play this week against Miami.

Before his injury, Betts was averaging 3.3 yards per carry.

"Ladell averaged 4.7 yards per carry last season," Spurrier said. "We certainly think he's a back with big-time potential."

Betts had just 65 carries last season.

Davis also hurt the Redskins with a pass reception Sunday, turning a short toss into a 25-yard gain when the Panthers faced a fourth-and-1 from their 38 late in the game. That play came during the Panthers' game-winning touchdown drive.

Afterward, Davis said Jeremiah Trotter was the Redskins' linebacker who blew the coverage. Davis seemed to enjoy making that point. Could that be because Trotter received a $7 million signing bonus, a factor that contributed to the lack of cap space for Davis?

There is no guarantee the Redskins (4-6) would be better with Davis in their backfield. San Diego running back LaDainian Tomlinson has gained 971 yards this season, and the Chargers (2-8) aren't playoff bound.

But Davis might give the Redskins a chance to present a balanced offense with a running threat that defenses must acknowledge. Redskins quarterback Patrick Ramsey and a few of the offensive linemen probably would appreciate that.

AND FURTHERMORE: Spurrier downplayed a reported argument between linebacker LaVar Arrington and defensive coordinator George Edwards on the sideline Sunday. "I didn't see it," Spurrier said. "I asked George about that. He said they were just discussing something, and there wasn't anything to it."

Contact Paul Woody at (804) 649-6444 or pwoody@timesdispatch.com

Originally posted by bulldog

it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Ramsey is the ideal quarterback for the old Gibbs offense, featuring a strong running game and a downfield passing game based on play action and max protection.

he's even wearing the right number :D

Then Bulldog, we gotta get rid of Superior, right? :D

Actually I do agree with you Blondie... Rock defintely has better vision than Trung, and he has a knack at making ppl miss him in the open field. So far, I would say that Rock is our best RB.... choosing between him and Ladell would be a toss-up at the moment, and I would probably be inclined to want Rock to get the majority of the load only because I think he is a better shortyardage back and has more power in his legs.

But it is sadly ironic that Rock would fumble up in such a Davis-esque manner.

Archived