Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

10 Stupidest things said by United States Politicians

JMS

One of the best things about W was the fact that Saturday Night Live (Will Ferrell specifically) could create things for him, they made their way into the public domain, and a large group of people thought it was something W actually said because it was plausible. Strategery was probably the biggest one.

I suppose the opposite of this would be Calvin Coolidge, who was notoriously tight-lipped. He was well before my time or anyone else's here, and I don't know much about him, but I had heard an anecdote about him which happens to be on his White House Profile:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/1600/presidents/calvincoolidge

Scroll down to the last two paragraphs. That "you lose" was a 1920's presidential mic drop.

I think Coolidge was mkstaken for the quiet type. He was probably the most oblivious and obtuse man weve had in the white house.

The article mentions that he was always willing to pose in a cowboy outfit... the truth was that it was one of the biggest running jokes in our medias history. People would give him presidential gifts and then he would put them on and wear them to the shock of the gift giver and to the delight of the media.

He was basically an idiot. And his "i do not choose to run" quote was famously stupid. It was the perfect end to his presidency.

The president who did nothing did more to allow the great depression than any other president is, to this day, known simply as the man who made an art of doing nothing, while Hoover is vilified. Strange how we look at history still all these years later when the facts are out there

I suppose the opposite of this would be Calvin Coolidge, who was notoriously tight-lipped.  He was well before my time or anyone else's here, and I don't know much about him, but I had heard an anecdote about him which happens to be on his White House Profile:

Well, the Coolidge effect is named after him based in this anecdote:

The President and Mrs. Coolidge were being shown [separately] around an experimental government farm. When [Mrs. Coolidge] came to the chicken yard she noticed that a rooster was mating very frequently. She asked the attendant how often that happened and was told, "Dozens of times each day." Mrs. Coolidge said, "Tell that to the President when he comes by." Upon being told, the President asked, "Same hen every time?" The reply was, "Oh, no, Mr. President, a different hen every time." President: "Tell that to Mrs. Coolidge."

I think Coolidge was mkstaken for the quiet type. He was probably the most oblivious and obtuse man weve had in the white house.

The article mentions that he was always willing to pose in a cowboy outfit... the truth was that it was one of the biggest running jokes in our medias history. People would give him presidential gifts and then he would put them on and wear them to the shock of the gift giver and to the delight of the media.

He was basically an idiot. And his "i do not choose to run" quote was famously stupid. It was the perfect end to his presidency.

The president who did nothing did more to allow the great depression than any other president is, to this day, known simply as the man who made an art of doing nothing, while Hoover is vilified. Strange how we look at history still all these years later when the facts are out there

Reagan praised Coolidge a lot, which has changed the historical perception of him.

I still want to know where JMS went to dinner.

President: "Tell that to Mrs. Coolidge."

Yeah if we are going to catalog funny stories about Presidents rather than stupid things they've accidentally said... Nobody is going to beat President Warren Harding and his little friend Jerry.

“Jerry sends Christmas greetings! He would come too, if I might: would he be welcomed cordially?” ( December 1918)..

They released love letters between Harding and his mistress where Harding continuously refers to his member by the name Jerry.

Archived