Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Real Hoverboards are here!

JMS

Soon it won't just be comic book villain zipping around the streets on hover boards...

For the last year or two a series of "hover boards" have hit the market which are basically a new motorized twists on a skateboards,   Hoverboards in name only.  All that is about to change....  Two new hover boards recently introduced are making their way to the market.

First we have the Arcaboard, a battery powered fan propelled, LEGO-like box that can get 20 inches off the ground and whip around above the pavement for half an hour before needing a charge.  Production has already started and they are expected to be out this year and cost around $15,000.    They may start selling them as early as this month (pre-order).

The second board is even more exciting.   It's from the same guy who created the water propelled Flyboard which can be rented at some beaches and utilize a jet sky teathered to the Flyboard.   His new untethered overboard is called the Flyboard Air and it's literally like stepping on a portable jet engine... Complete with strapping a Kerosine gas tank to your back.    This Flyboard-Air  recently ( April 30th ) set a Guinness world record for hover board flight.

The prototype flew 2,252 meters or about 1.4 miles.    This thing rocks.    We won't see the Flyboard Air ( which many on the internet have assumed was a hoax) for quite some time.  It's a vehicle capable of whipping you down the street at over 90 mph, and furthermore is claimed to be capable of reaching the clouds.

Here is the youtube video of the record shattering flight a few days ago..

The first one sounds interesting.  The second one, I can imagine all sorts of bad things happening there.

I think both of them are dangerous as hell.    Still these are generation 1 boards.    

I think both of them are dangerous as hell.    Still these are generation 1 boards.    

Probably, but to me, there's a difference between "fan powered" and "20 inches off the ground"

Compared to

"90 MPH" and "kerosene tank strapped to your back" and "can reach the clouds"

Probably, but to me, there's a difference between "fan powered" and "20 inches off the ground"

Compared to

"90 MPH" and "kerosene tank strapped to your back" and "can reach the clouds"

I'm old.. saddly either one would likely do me in fairly quickly. To me the only question is which one I would look more foolish dying on. A kerosine fire ball slamming into a building at 90 miles per hour I think is more respectable than slipping off the damned thing 20 inches off the ground and breaking my fool neck..

I'm pretty sure my older sister will laugh herself silly on the latter, But I'll get street cred from my children, nephews and nieces with the former

Archived