Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:Despite Criticism, No Decision on 'Playmakers'

TK

Despite Criticism, No Decision on 'Playmakers'

By Leonard Shapiro

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, November 12, 2003; 5:10 PM

ABC/ESPN President George Bodenheimer said today that he was "in no hurry to decide" the future of "Playmakers," a controversial series about a fictional pro football team aired on ESPN this fall.

The last episode appeared Tuesday night, and the New York Post reported Wednesday in its Page Six gossip column that there would not be a second season of the show, which has depicted some players as abusers of drugs, alcohol and women.

NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue and NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw have publicly criticized the show, as have several team owners and players concerned about the image it projects about the sport. Last week, Gatorade announced it was pulling its advertisements from the show.

Bodenheimer was asked about the future of the show during a meeting today with reporters and editors at The Washington Post. Questioned about the criticism from the NFL, he said, "We listen to input from anyone. We don't disregard its point of view. . . . I understand their concern. I'm listening to all input."

ABC/ESPN, owned by parent Disney Corp., also is among the NFL's television partners in airing games. ABC carries the long-running Monday night football series and ESPN airs games on Thursday and Sunday nights.

The NFL's current television contract runs out after the 2005 season, with negotiations on a future contract likely to begin within the next year. The league is also launching its own NFL Network this month, and there has been speculation that it eventually could carry games now seen on cable.

"I'm not looking to poke my finger in anyone's eye," Bodenheimer said. "I don't see any evidence that anyone watches less football because of Playmakers."

An NFL spokesman declined to comment.

Washington Post staff writer John Maynard also contributed to this story.

© 2003 Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactivehttp://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32328-2003Nov12.html

Originally posted by skinsfanjoe

If ESPN doesn't bring it back, I bet HBO picks it up. It was the highest rated show on ESPN.

That's probably not a hard thing to do when your only competition is PTI and Around the Horn. Nevertheless, it is quite entertaining.

That show would be awesome on HBO, then they could get away with everything :)

The show will be back on TV somewhere the ratings were too good and it was a decent show.

Originally posted by jbooma

That show would be awesome on HBO, then they could get away with everything :)

The show will be back on TV somewhere the ratings were too good and it was a decent show.

Dude that thought at first seemed awesome so maybe we get to finally see that news reporter on cold pizza butt naked!!!! Then I thought that HBO has OZ.

Please no more man a*s.....:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Archived