Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com:Dunbar H.S. Football Team Visits Redskin Park

TK

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12241

Dunbar H.S. Football Team Visits Redskin Park

11/11/2003

Washington Redskins Leadership Council, in partnership with Fannie Mae Foundation, to Place Academic Coach

At Dunbar H.S. As Part of Youth Development Program

The Dunbar High School football team visited Redskin Park in Ashburn, Va., on Tuesday and held a two-hour practice on the Washington Redskins practice fields.

Linebacker Jessie Armstead and running back/kick returner Chad Morton were on hand to offer advice and football pointers to the players.

The visit coincided with the announcement of the placement of an academic coach at Dunbar High School. As part of the Redskins Youth Development Program, the Washington Redskins Leadership Council will place an academic coach at Dunbar High School to help team members focus on academics and learn how to balance football and class work.

The Leadership Council received a grant from the Fannie Mae Foundation making it possible to place an academic coach at Dunbar High School for two years.

A signature program of the Washington Redskins Leadership Council, the Youth Development program helps high school football teams both on the field and in the classroom by renovating high school football fields and by placing academic coaches at high schools to help student-athletes focus on academics. Since 2001, nine high school football fields and one community field in Washington D.C. and Prince George’s County have been renovated and two academic coaches have been placed at Dunbar and Anacostia High Schools in Washington, D.C.

The Redskins Youth Development Program is an initiative of the Washington Redskins Leadership Council, the charitable foundation of the team.

Founded by Redskins Owner Daniel M. Snyder, the mission of the Washington Redskins Leadership Council is to be the voice that raises awareness of issues regarding youth in the region and to utilize the unique assets of the Washington Redskins organization and its corporate and community partners to achieve measurable results that improve communities.

AlexHahn1.jpgAlexHahn2.jpg

Dunbar...brings back memories

I remember back in my freshman year of high school when the Dunbar Poets beat the Churchill Bulldogs for the state championship in 3OT...

good football game - but Bulldogs losing to the Poets? What kind of mascot is that anyway? Poets?!

I know of one player on that Churchill team that's in the NFL now, Dhani Jones on the Giants. I wonder if any Poets made it...

Archived