Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just got offered a job with USPS....

HtownRocks111

I have a few mail carriers in my family, so I'll tell you what I know from their experience.

If you can get to be a full time mail carrier, then it is a good gig. Decent salary, great benefits, and a pension. The work is tedious though (as in "going postal" tedious). Still postal workers are quite well compensated by blue collar standards.

The only question I'd have here is whether this part time gig is a potential path to full time work or a dead end. I'd want to know the answer to that if I were you. If the former, then I'd say go for it.

As for the vehicle: My grandmother was a rural mail carrier in New Hampshire, and she had to use her own vehicle, but it didn't have to be right hand drive. She would ride in the middle of the car and drive with her left foot/hand, using her right to reach the mailboxes. She used to buy old jeep wranglers (with the straight 6) for the purpose. In her career she had three or four of those close to a half million miles.

The Jeeps cost her, and she hated the work, but she got good benefits and was able to retire in her fifties. Not a bad gig at all.

Only thing that sucks with the non career postal positions is that you can work years and never get to career. They only have so many career positions available and when new spots open they go by seniority. I worked for the post office as a mail handler assistant and HATED it. Hours were ****, no bennys, pay was ok but literally had no life as they can make u do mandatory OT and what not as they please, oh and dont forget about the politics. You can bust ur ass as much as u want but if u dont know the right people u really have an ice cubes chance in hell....A friend of mine has been a non-career driver going on 15 yrs w no career position in site. Good luck with watever u decide

Archived