Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

5 Takeaways: Redskins Lose To Patriots

Andre Roberts and Desean Jackson need to take a dip in the FA pool after this season. I'd say Garcon too just because he cannot be missing catches like that, especially when they result in such an easy turnover, that was insultingly bad. Why are we still the only team without a Tom Brady or an Aaron Roger that doesn't have a single WR that's taller than 6'0!??!

Roberts needs to go but DeSean and Pierre need someone to throw the ball to them. Cousins is awful. Everyone was so hyoed up on the final drive a couple weeks ago. Big deal! Everyone finds an egg now and then. Here is another take away from the game. Where is our running game? Jay Gruden is the worst coach in the league! Hands down the worst. He needs to go now and we need to get someone decent in there. I know high school coaches with better game plans. He has two great RB's and we don't run. Defense held the Patriots to 27, they can't play that long and not give up points. Time of possession was a joke! Danny boy, cut your ties with Jay!!!!

In a earlier article I stated that I hope we don't get embarrassed against the cheaters from Foxboro. Well...we got embarrassed.

Seriously, how is it we managed a total of THIRTY SEVEN!!!!! yards rushing for the game? & on 37 rushing yards we fumble once. I don't even know the words to describe that. & Cousins throwing for 217 yards? That's beyond $hitty. Granted he would've thrown for more if the receivers COULD CATCH THE BALL!!! I'm not even going to get into the fact we made another RB look like a HOFer.

Will this nightmare ever end?

HTTR!!!

Look..... everytime there is a poor performance by the team the first thing that is said is Gruden sucks and Cousins suck. We have the best oline coach in the league and he can't get these guys to block properly in the run game, but nothing is ever said about that...it's Callahan's job to get it done. And there is a marked difference when Jones gets in the game, doesn't hesitate and hits holes but still our rbs are under acheiving.

So..... it's year 1 in a rebuild under Scot McCloughan. Only Washington Redskin fans would expect a winning season. How many starters have been missing this year? Whatever amount it is alot. Hell, we would have had to have incredible luck to pull off 6-7 wins. I picked 5 wins before the season because of the qb situatrion being Griffin got all the offseason #1 work and it wasn't till 2 weeks before the season did Cousins get designated as the starter.

Hail Man, I picked 7 wins a couple weeks ago. It may be the rosy colored sun glasses I wear. I think Kirk was pretty good Sunday and the line protected him well. Callahan does need to get the run blocking going, but do not think its all on him. I would guess 70% is on the players. I'm willing to give Gruden till the end of the season, but as stated before I need to see improvement. These are just my opinions and hope I'm not stepping on any body's toes.

HTTR

I have been traveling out of country so this is the first chance I have had to comment. Don't want people thinking I am hiding out...  :-)  Also, sorry for the long note, as Ben Franklin said, I didn't have time to write a shorter one......

I have to say I am a bit surprised by the negative comments. Did anyone really think we were going to win Sunday? We all picked the team to lose more games than win. That means you will lose games. And losing to arguably the best team in football on their turf is not anything to be surprised or embarrassed by.

There are some positives here:  We forced them into 2 TOs - including only Brady's 2nd interception of the year. You can turn a blind eye if you want but the facts are Kirk Cousins is coming along very well. For the first time in a big game on the road the game was not too big for him. He made enough plays to at least make this game competitive. His recs let him down big time. You just can't underestimate 8 drops (it was officially 11 by the NFL but I only saw 8 that were on the rec."

Yes we missed the run game again, but if those guys catch the ball. I truly believe the run game would have been better. Where it needs to be? No! But better. Yes we let another runner look like Barry Sanders. But you do realize almost half our projected starters are out injured right? Through 8 games we had more than 80 starter games lost due to injury. That is almost 1/2 the starters for any given game!!  Think about that, almost half the starters out with injury! That does not even count the guys that came in to replace them! You can't just say "Next man up!" Ask NFL players themselves, that's total BS. I was listening to NFL Radio to several ex NFL players including Rich Gannon who I really respect and they were all saying that sounds good and is ok for a few players but when the numbers really start adding up it's just not possible. We are missing 2/5s of our Oline, and 2 of the other players this is their first year! Yet they are amazingly pass blocking pretty damn well! Now if they could just run block...   Several guys who came back Sunday should have sat out another week---  culliver, breeland. But they didn't want to start a guy literally off the street so the guys tried to go!

Despite that we never gave up the big play. The last few weeks we have gotten beat by big plays. Not this week. Also, penalties are way down, and not just one game, the last several games. Only 4 for 27 yds. Also, don't look now but our STs has settled down and is not a big hold breath and hope squad. They have become pretty solid, this after losing their top 2 players before the season started!

As Manchild said, even after everyone said, yea we will lose 8 - 10 gms this year, after every loss, it's "Get rid of Gruden. get rid of Cousins, get rid of fill in the player you think had a bad game". You ever had a bad day at the office? Did you get fired for it? No because your employer knows you will come back and make up for it and in the long run, you are more valuable to them than worrying about a bad day.

We must have patience. It's the only way this thing gets turned around. If we get rid of every admin. if they don't win immediately then we are doomed to repeating the last 20+ yrs that everyone, including me, hates so much. Just more losing. Pull back the emotions of wanting to be the Redskins of the 80's now and get some fresh perspective.

Maybe SM replaces Gruden at the end of the year, But right now I sincerely doubt it. The guys are not quitting on him, outside of maybe Jackson who I am really disappointed in. This is the first time he has acted like an ass on this team. **** him, and I have been a big supporter, but if wants to whine then hit the ****ing road. We will be selecting a big fast strong WR in next years draft anyway. Let him and his big ass "non-guaranteed contract" move along.

I plan to remain vigil! I plan to keep patient. I made that commitment at the start of the season and admittedly started to waver just before the Tampa game. I want to see the season out and then let's evaluate as a body of work, not just the highs and lows of each game. Too much emotion not enough clarity of thought.

go said:

I have to say I am a bit surprised by the negative comments. Did anyone really think we were going to win Sunday? We all picked the team to lose more games than win. That means you will lose games. And losing to arguably the best team in football on their turf is not anything to be surprised or embarrassed by.

I said:

It is not so much the winning or losing that is important with a rebuilding team, but a display of hope in the form of:

1) Progress (or they look better than last week) - that was not present and it was embarrassing.

2) Looking competitive (or they need a few things to turn the corner) - that was also not present and was also embarrassing.

Patience with losing only results in more losing, the Redskins have been proving that for a long time. It is my opinion that it is not a time for patience but a time for continuous improvement, or for Scot to start dumping losers so we can move on to a better place (winning).

My negativity was earned the hard way - a long sting of uncompetitive teams that embarrassed their self with their performance. However, I have absolutely no problem with Redskins fans that have rose colored glasses - so you go for it.

I am gone until the aftermath of the next game, hopefully that has a much better result.

go said:

I said:

It is not so much the winning or losing that is important with a rebuilding team, but a display of hope in the form of:

1) Progress (or they look better than last week) - that was not present and it was embarrassing.

2) Looking competitive (or they need a few things to turn the corner) - that was also not present and was also embarrassing.

Patience with losing only results in more losing, the Redskins have been proving that for a long time. It is my opinion that it is not a time for patience but a time for continuous improvement, or for Scot to start dumping losers so we can move on to a better place (winning).

My negativity was earned the hard way - a long sting of uncompetitive teams that embarrassed their self with their performance. However, I have absolutely no problem with Redskins fans that have rose colored glasses - so you go for it.

I am gone until the aftermath of the next game, hopefully that has a much better result.

Rose colored glasses?? Lol  I presented data and facts and clear signs the team is moving in the right direction. Sorry if you choose to ignore them but that does not mean I have an unrealistic view of things.

There are going to be ebbs and flows. Last week we did not look very good. But the opponent was the best team in football! They make a lot of people look bad. Again, let's see what the season looks like, not just over-react to each game, positive or negative.

Maybe Gruden is not the guy. If not, SM will replace him and I will support whoever he brings in. In the meantime ****ing about every game is useless. The problems we have right now are due to a lack of talent, a lot due to injury and the fact we are just not very deep. People complaining about the game plan are not seeing the plays that are not executed. The plays are there. We just need better talent to make them happen.

So many people want to blame the coach when players don't make plays. But they don't make the plays, the players have to. Also, for some reason, in Wash. we always seem to have an over inflated view of the talent of our players. Face it, we are very talent poor. SM is working on changing that. But IT TAKES TIME!!

Go, I dont think they was calling you out. I believe he is calling me, but know that it wasn't it in a bad way. But that's ok. They, you are entitled to your opinion, isn't it great to be an American. I also understand your frustration as I've been a skins fan since I can remember, born in 1966. Agree with Manchild good and thought out Go. I said that I'll give Gruden till the seasons end and if I see improvement, as players not quitting and better proformanc then he gets another chance, but that will be up to people above my pay grade. Safe trip home.

HTTR

The thing people overlook is the fact that its not Gruden or Cousins fault. Or any one persons fault. The losing & poor performances have been going on for years & years. Since '06 we've finished last in the division with a losing record every time except twice ('07 we finished 3rd & '12 1st). Every year is the same thing & every game looks the same. If you can truly say that we're headed in the right direction then I don't know what else to say. Our record is the only thing that'll prove otherwise.

HTTR!!!

7 f'ing drops. It may sound ridiculous, but Garcon solidified the loss on our first offensive play with that disgusting attempt at a catch. We all knew we had no shot, but I was hoping we could make it interesting. Our D is awful and the only way we were going to make it interesting was to go toe-to-toe offensively. Like I said before the game, Pats D plays to take the run away first so we would need our pass game to open up our run game, and it would have worked had it not been for the worst catching performance displayed by a professional football team. Anyone blaming this on Cousins is a lost soul. His stat line should have been 29 for 40, over 300 yards, a couple TDs and zero picks. Instead, his receivers let him down. I'll say it again, 7 f'ing drops. Do you realize some teams don't have 7 drops for the whole season? 

Garcon's turnover killed all momentum for the game. The players aren't dumb, they knew who they were playing- spotting the Pats 14 points at Gilette is impossible for anyone to come back from, let alone this average-at-best team. You could see in their eyes that the game was already over at that point.

This was a game we weren't supposed to win, but I just would have liked to have seen how that 1st drive would have gone... Who knows what happens if Garcon doesn't hand them the ball, but if the score is 7-7 or even 7-3 toward the end of the 1st quarter as opposed to 14-0 five mins into the game, then this could have been watchable. 

The thing people overlook is the fact that its not Gruden or Cousins fault. Or any one persons fault. The losing & poor performances have been going on for years & years. Since '06 we've finished last in the division with a losing record every time except twice ('07 we finished 3rd & '12 1st). Every year is the same thing & every game looks the same. If you can truly say that we're headed in the right direction then I don't know what else to say. Our record is the only thing that'll prove otherwise.

HTTR!!!

Sorry I posted again before the next game after I said that is all for this week - I will try to do better next week.

However, I agree 100% with what Canada said.

The only stat that is important is winning percentage and ours keeps coming up negative year after year, that is not fun - for me anyway.

It is obvious beyond a shadow of a doubt the Redskins need to replace players and/or coaches to turn this situation around; my question is who.

As far as injuries, this time of the year all teams have them and it isn't in the areas that we have the most injuries that we seem to have the most problems, so again who do we need to replace?

It also gives us something to chat about since it would be difficult, if not impossible, to win the will card given our current record; and unless the Giants fall a part we are not likely to have a division title.

Realistically we are playing to see who does and doesn't have value next year. 

Anyone still thinking Cousins is one of the people that need to be replaced on that Gruden is the problem in terms of offense - check this out - http://es.redskins.com/topic/395351-gif-breakdown-kirk-cousins-vs-patriots-–-2240-217-yards-1-td-1-int/#entry10412097   He is growing into a nice NFL QB in front of our eyes.

Bottom line, the WR let Kirk and Gruden down Sunday and the Oline let the team down by not run blocking yet again! That is on Bill Callahan. I am not saying I want rid of him .Totally the opposite. He is working with a a banged up group with 4 guys whose total starts are still less than 25% of Trent Williams starts. He needs another offseason to get these guys ready. Again, we need patience, not knee jerk reactions.

As for our injuries not being our problem areas, our LBs and secondary have been decimated. that's why we can't play the run right now and until NE we were getting burned for big paly after big play. Also Oline has taken a big hit and now we can't run block. Coincidence? Me thinks not! So I just not sure how you can possibly say the many, many injuries are not in problem areas. Again, our team does not have the normal amount of injuries. We are way out in front. This next man up crap is total BS when half your starters are missing every single game! That's hard for a deep team to overcome, much less a rebuilding team with huge holes.

...and the Oline let the team down by not run blocking yet again! That is on Bill Callahan. I am not saying I want rid of him .Totally the opposite. He is working with a a banged up group with 4 guys whose total starts are still less than 25% of Trent Williams starts. He needs another offseason to get these guys ready. Again, we need patience, not knee jerk reactions.

I love the running game. When all parts work as one to me its a thing of beauty. An in-your-face way to play football, the toughest way to play football IMO. Unfortunately I haven't seen that in a while. I'm not going to blame Callahan or Alfred, they can only do what they can with what they have to work with.

I get pissed off when we can't run the ball. At the same time I try to realise that our O-line is very young & in-experienced. I would gladly concede the season if it meant that these young guys get the experience they need & come out next season on fire. After all, I've been calling for a new O-line via the draft for years, got to give them a chance to mature.

For once I'm happy with the way the O-line is shaping up. It'll take more than a bad rushing year for me to have any knee jerk reactions.

HTTR!!!

Hail Canada - You hit it right on the head. I am not happy with our run game but we really just need to be patient. It takes time for a line to come together. They need to play together, get know each others tendencies, trust one another. The only way that happens is with time.

Like you, I will gladly suffer though a bad running season for the greater long term good.

Anyone still thinking Cousins is one of the people that need to be replaced on that Gruden is the problem in terms of offense - check this out - http://es.redskins.com/topic/395351-gif-breakdown-kirk-cousins-vs-patriots-–-2240-217-yards-1-td-1-int/#entry10412097   He is growing into a nice NFL QB in front of our eyes. HE HAS A LONG WAYS TO GO AND MAY OR MAY NOT MAKE IT. HE IS STILL NOT DOING WHAT GOOD QBS DO, BRING HIS TEAM TO THE WIN GAME POINT.

Bottom line, the WR let Kirk and Gruden down Sunday and the Oline let the team down by not run blocking yet again! THE OLINE THAT WAS BLOCKING GOOD FOR THE RUN IS THE SAME WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE CENTER (THEY WERE DOING GOOD WITH LONG AT GUARD), ALL WRS BACK, THE QUESTION IS WHAT HAPPENED, That is on Bill Callahan HE IS NOT THE HEAD COACH IN CHARGE OF STRATEGTY AND HAS A RECORD AS THE BEST OLINE COACH IN THE BUISNESS, NOT SURE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. I am not saying I want rid of him .Totally the opposite. He is working with a a banged up group with 4 guys whose total starts are still less than 25% of Trent Williams starts. He needs another offseason to get these guys ready. Again, we need patience, not knee jerk reactions TO SOME, TO OTHERS IT IS TIME TO INSTILL A WINNING ATTITUDE. WHAT LET THEM DOWN THE OTHER 4 LOSSES?

As for our injuries not being our problem areas, our LBs NAGGING INJURIES EVEYBODY HAS THEM, GILLETE NEVER PLAYED AND IS THE ONLY ONE OUT FOR THE SEASON .and secondary have been decimated YES BUT THE REPLACEMENTS ARE PLAYING WELL, NOT THE REASON FOR THE LOSSES, MAYBE SOME NEED REPLACING I WILL BUY. that's why we can't play the run right now and until NE we were getting burned for big paly after big play. WHO NEEDS TO BE REPLACED? Also Oline has taken a big hit and now we can't run block. Coincidence? Me thinks not! SAME PLAYERS THAT THEY WERE RUNNING GOOD EXCEPT THE CENTER, WHY DID THE RUN GAME GO BAD, IS THE CENTER THAT BAD? So I just not sure how you can possibly say the many, many injuries are not in problem areas. Again, our team does not have the normal amount of injuries. We are way out in front. THE KEY IS WHO IS INJURED, LIKE romoSUCKS, WE DO NOT HAVE A romoSUCKS TYPE PLAYER INJURED, WHO IS IMPORTNAT ON THE INJURY LIST? ONE LESS PLAYER TO REPLACE. ALSO, LOOK AT DJAK BACKJ AND NO IMPACT, WHY?. This next man up crap is total BS YOUR OPINION ONLY AND IF YOU ARE MAKING PERSONEAL BACK TO YOU. when half NAME THEM your starters are missing every single game! That's hard for a deep team to overcome LOSING IS NOT BS, much less a rebuilding team with huge holes WHAT ARE THE HOLES - PLAYERS AND COACHES.

BACK TO WHAT PLAYERS AND COACHES NEED TO BE REPLACED, THIS TEAM HAS BEEN REBUILDING FOR 25 YEARS, TIME TO WIN.

GO - Opinions are a good thing when they are framed with a worthwhile objective (e.g. regular 12 win seasons). I am willing to listen to others because sometimes I find the making of adjustments to my opinions. However, I accept their opinion not as fact but as their opinion, and I will agree and disagree as I think appropriate. So have at your opinions but if you are trying to take us back to the Polo days with them, I am out of here as that was way beyond disgusting. Waiting for your response, time to leave or stay.

GO - Opinions are a good thing when they are framed with a worthwhile objective (e.g. regular 12 win seasons). I am willing to listen to others because sometimes I find the making of adjustments to my opinions. However, I accept their opinion not as fact but as their opinion, and I will agree and disagree as I think appropriate. So have at your opinions but if you are trying to take us back to the Polo days with them, I am out of here as that was way beyond disgusting. Waiting for your response, time to leave or stay.

Whooaaa!! Settle down there pilgrim! If you want to take this personal I can't stop you, but I can assure for me it's purely football. You can go, stay, leave, do whatever you want to. It's really a free world. But let's keep our sanity. Having said that, if you are really accusing me of being like polo, then I have nothing productive to say but have a great life. You may as well not read the rest.

If you want to continue to talk football, I will say I have strong opinions and I will defend them. You have made some statements that in my opinion are just not true. Like above you say that the same line is blocking now have been except for the center. That's blatantly false. Lavauo was at G and when he went out the run game stopped. They were not that good with Long. He was barely OK. Now we have also lost KL gone, so that 2/5s of the line. And the RT side are 1st yr starters, one a rookie! Also losing 2/5s even if one was doing OK, is still more impactful. We don't know how much Trent and KL were covering for long fro him to be OK.

While the LBs are not out for the season, Riley and Kerrigan have both missed time, as have others. Kerrigan has not been himself recovering from offseason surgery. DJackson was back for one game against the best team in football!  Even then, Cousins played well enough to win. There are 10 other guys on the field. They have to participate.

Cousins has brought the team back for last minute wins twice. And in the Atlanta game he game us a 4 pt lead with less than 4 mins to go and then tied it to go to overtime! Ryan Grant then slips or we are very likely 4-4. And yes the secondary is a very big part of why we have been losing until this last week, although they are also not tackling letting decent plays turn bigger. Culliver and Breeland were back but neither are 100%. We are still missing Dhall. The other guys a have played OK at times with Blackmon actually playing well. S has been a real roller coaster and that's run support gone. What about Duke? Gone also. Not sure how you can say we haven't lost games due to the secondary.

How about TE? We have 2 guys starting that were not even on the team to start the season. With Niles gone you lose your STs captain. Haywood is out for the season and played his way into a huge support role at LB and a STs standout. So saying next man up with all these injuries in my opinion is BS. If you we want to take that personal. I can't stop you. But it's just my opinion.

You also keep making reference to winning like I don't want to win. Well that' just not true. Of course I want to win and I expect us to win. But I also realize it will take some time. You have lost your patience with the team, Fine, I get it. You have clearly lost patience with me too. Fine, but I am not going to stop saying we need to be patient as I feel very strongly we need to stay this path. My fear is if we do it your way and get rid of people left and right, we are just going to continue to churn out losing seasons replacing too much and without rhyme or reason.

Hope you stick around but do what you need to do.

Well like I have said many times...why not try the one thing this organization has NOT tried in 20 plus years of losing? Doing the same thing for 20 plus years and expecting better or different results is totally nuts! WE NEED YEARS OF STABILITY...period!

Every successful organization has had years of stability, NOT US !

Stability brings so much to the table. It allows players to grow and know what the guy next to him is going to do, It allows coaches to be able to expand the play book & get creative. It also allows for the "next guy up" to learn at a much faster rate by getting to see the players in front of them play and execute at a higher level because they are on the same page with the guy next to them on the playing field. This game is a team game but don't forget it's a bunch of small battles between players. Without stability you have less chance of winning these very important small battles.  I can't count how many times our players are not on the SAME PAGE as the guy next to him, this is not a coaching problem at this stage, it's a stability issue. It takes time for this to be learned and trusted by the players. Lets also understand injuries and lack of talent hamper this process. It will take time and it may get worse before better in many games! Teams like the Pats can have a "next man up" attitude because of having so many key players in place for many seasons - STABILITY! We don't have that in ONE position, never mind many key positions like they have. 

Changing coaches every few years makes for a start over in this process. Then the new coach wants his type of players and it snowballs from there. Not saying we have the right coach or coaches but it's fair to say this team is playing very hard for this current staff and has shown very good improvements this season in many areas like GOSKINS has pointed out. Patience and stability is key, and  I know for a fact our GM understands this (READ HIS QUOTE under my post) We the fans have been through hell, I get it, but lets not go back to what has gotten us there, WE NEED STABILITY to get back to the TOP of the league.......HAVE FAITH !!

Whooaaa!! Settle down there pilgrim! If you want to take this personal I can't stop you, but I can assure for me it's purely football. You can go, stay, leave, do whatever you want to. It's really a free world. But let's keep our sanity. Having said that, if you are really accusing me of being like polo, then I have nothing productive to say but have a great life. You may as well not read the rest.

If you want to continue to talk football, I will say I have strong opinions and I will defend them. You have made some statements that in my opinion are just not true. Like above you say that the same line is blocking now have been except for the center. That's blatantly false. Lavauo was at G and when he went out the run game stopped. They were not that good with Long. He was barely OK. Now we have also lost KL gone, so that 2/5s of the line. And the RT side are 1st yr starters, one a rookie! Also losing 2/5s even if one was doing OK, is still more impactful. We don't know how much Trent and KL were covering for long fro him to be OK.

While the LBs are not out for the season, Riley and Kerrigan have both missed time, as have others. Kerrigan has not been himself recovering from offseason surgery. DJackson was back for one game against the best team in football!  Even then, Cousins played well enough to win. There are 10 other guys on the field. They have to participate.

Cousins has brought the team back for last minute wins twice. And in the Atlanta game he game us a 4 pt lead with less than 4 mins to go and then tied it to go to overtime! Ryan Grant then slips or we are very likely 4-4. And yes the secondary is a very big part of why we have been losing until this last week, although they are also not tackling letting decent plays turn bigger. Culliver and Breeland were back but neither are 100%. We are still missing Dhall. The other guys a have played OK at times with Blackmon actually playing well. S has been a real roller coaster and that's run support gone. What about Duke? Gone also. Not sure how you can say we haven't lost games due to the secondary.

How about TE? We have 2 guys starting that were not even on the team to start the season. With Niles gone you lose your STs captain. Haywood is out for the season and played his way into a huge support role at LB and a STs standout. So saying next man up with all these injuries in my opinion is BS. If you we want to take that personal. I can't stop you. But it's just my opinion.

You also keep making reference to winning like I don't want to win. Well that' just not true. Of course I want to win and I expect us to win. But I also realize it will take some time. You have lost your patience with the team, Fine, I get it. You have clearly lost patience with me too. Fine, but I am not going to stop saying we need to be patient as I feel very strongly we need to stay this path. My fear is if we do it your way and get rid of people left and right, we are just going to continue to churn out losing seasons replacing too much and without rhyme or reason.

Hope you stick around but do what you need to do.

Your and my opinions are just that opinions, and nothing more. Opinions are not something to defend or defeat but something to build on. One should justify them if they can and if not adjust them, they are after all opinions until they are proven, and it doesn't make any difference what you are say about them.

As far me being wrong, I have been there before and will probably be there again. However, there is only 1 true fact in football - for the Redskins it is a won-lost record of 3-5. That says all you need to know about this team. - winning is still everything.

In any case, there is no reason for me to continue in this unenjoyable confrontational mode as this unenlightening form of conversation doesn't fit that well with sports -  bye for now. I will check back in in a year or two and check for improvement, I am just not ready for more Polo stuff.

Archived