Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Fallout 4 Thread (all platforms)

codeorama

That's what I was afraid of as I'm moving forward honestly. I'm a bigger fan of the idea of creating this monstrous evil juggernaut with the mission to basically rob and kill everyone in its path. But it looks like I'm gonna have to make friends :(

Cait will be the best companion for that. She's a top 3 companion either way.  

The missile turrets kick ass.  One of my settlements (the one with a pool and friendly ghouls) got attacked by a deathclaw and one missile turret lit it up before it even got close.  

I miss variable ammo from NV.  No reason my .50 cal sniper rifle shouldn't have both explosive and incendiary bullets.  

The only problem with missile turrets is that they destroy you and your settlement if someone manages to get inside.  I decided to warp to a settlement to help defend it and got lit up when I appeared next to a supermutant.  I also watched it murder my settlers when a rad scorpion popped up in the middle of field they were gathered in.  It killed the crops too. 

After that I switched my design for settlements to a sort of standard that I copied everywhere.  Two buildings filled with spaced out beds connected by a bridge.  The bottom floor of one is filled with stores, because mixed use real estate is better for the economy and I'm a wise and benevolent ruler.  One building on the opposite side with generators inside it because the noise, if near their beds, makes settlers sad.  This building has no doors because power is exclusively my domain.  A bunch of laser towers for defense.

There are certainly some serious flaws concerning settlements.  The biggest of which is as you've noticed, that they simply don't matter.  They should, especially considering how much work Bethesda put into letting the player build them.  They could have very easily made several types that corresponded to factions and made them the basis of building an army large enough to attack a major faction at the end of the game.

As an example:  If you side with the short sighted synth liberators you build settlements with their design and their kinds of troops/refugees.  As they grow that factions strength grows.  In order to attack the Underground Apple Store or the Brotherhood of the Blimp you need a certain amount.  As you grow the rival factions try to destroy those settlements.  If they succeed your strength is decreased and it sets your attack plans back. 

If any of you played Skyrim it would be like an improved version of the civil war between the Empire and the Stormcloaks.  

^^ That would have been amazing.  Wow.  Build an army to take out a faction.  I love it.

Can you imagine standing on a highrise building, and just watching thousands of settlers from all your forts descending upon downtown, from every direction, to take out the d-bag BoS?  Epicness.

^^ That would have been amazing.  Wow.  Build an army to take out a faction.  I love it.

Can you imagine standing on a highrise building, and just watching thousands of settlers from all your forts descending upon downtown, from every direction, to take out the d-bag BoS?  Epicness.

And it wouldn't be all that different than what already happens in the game.  If you've completed several of the the endings you've already assaulted one of the major factions with an army.  It would have fit right into the story line while making settlements important and more interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Fallout Shelter is addictive. 

Never played Fallout before downloading Shelter for the phone. Then I liked that so much I got Fallout New Vegas. Might eventually get 4. This is a damn good game and series. I don't know why I didn't get hooked sooner. 

Guess I need to try Psycho once. I've never bothered with chems in any of the Fallout games.

Chems are GREAT.  I use them constantly, particularly Psychojet for combat and grape mentats for passing speech checks.

And Addictol for for curing my constant chem addictions. :)

• 1 month later...

Archived