Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Convert Jordan Reed to WR starting in 2016?

Renegade7

Convert Jordan Reed to WR starting in 2016???  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Should we convert Jordan Reed to WR starting next season?

• Yes
    • No

I really like Niles Paul, but was a little frustrated with him being announced the starting position over Reed in camp. Now, unless there's issues with Reed's practice habits or attitude, no way is Paul better than Reed. I was worried Gruden wasn't going to have Reed on the field enough due to Paul (an issue I had last year when Reed was healthy). I understand Paul is a great worker and by all accounts a good teammate, but he should be behind Redd on depth chart.

As for poll question: he's a hybrid type TE, so the OP is not off base as the SKINS split out wide and put him slot for reasons you may be referring to OP. I just don't think a formal change of position is necessary or will it happen

Couple things I noticed over the last week dabbling to find some evidence to support my case:

1. Could not find any substantial direct evidence supporting my claim that TEs are more likely to get injured then WRs during interior run-blocking. Articles I did find close more focused on the number of players going on injured reserve (I can see why no one wants to invest in RBs anymore) and showed WR and TE as about even.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2010/7/7/1467728/which-nfl-position-groups-suffer

2. Both of Reed's TDs in the Tampa game were against safeties. Having said that, I watched the Miami - Pats game and watched the dolphins put their best cover corner (Grimes) on Gronk all night. As the Jets HC coach noted, Gronk is getting covered by corners, and it just doesn't matter because he's usually just flat out bigger then them.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/jets/story/1602233-defending-gronk

Jimmy Graham was also regularly covered by Morris Claiborne (CB), which is very different to the multiple safety looks he saw when we played the Saints back in the 2012 opener (which I re-watched). What we're seeing now are examples of TEs that are so good as receivers that defenses are trying to use corners to cover them (and it either fails or outright backfires because you've used your best cover corner on a TE and exposing the rest of your defense to the other skill position players)

Having said that...

3. Reed will get paid based on how he produces (like other TEs), but it will cost more to FRANCHISE him if he officially moves to WR. Right now Gronk and Jimmy Graham have similar to larger contracts as DJax.

From "Over the Cap":

Jimmy Graham - 4yr - $40 million

Gronk - 6yr -$54 million

DJax - 3yr - $24 million

Next year is a contract year for Reed, so its possible he could end up being one of if not the highest paid skill position player on the team, regardless of his position. The difference between him and other TEs making that elite WR money is production. None of the TEs I've mentioned are making what the Megatrons or Julio Jones are because they aren't producing as many yards (look for 1500+ yard seasons). So even if he does move to WR, he's not going to get paid like an elite one unless he produces like one.

4. If we aren't going to formally move him to WR and use him like a possession WR, we have to commit to using him as a true hybrid-TE and not try to force him into being a TE that can be used heavily in run blocking as well. I am worried about the concussions and feel we owe it to ourselves and to Reed to try to prolong his career as long as we can. I do not agree with sticking to conventional wisdom when its obvious conventional wisdom on the matter is changing right before our eyes, but we can agree to disagree.

Figured I'd throw that out there for food for thought and that I did want to look into many of the counter arguments, especially the ones that made sense to me.

That was a quick and easy no. I didn't and still haven't (and won't) even read what the OP wrote.

If you're going to comment on my opinion, you should at least listen to it first.

No, he is the best TE since we've had since Cooley was in his prime (even more athletic). We just need another TE that can block and play ST which we have in Niles so were are okay there for now. On top of that, our WR group is adequate..they are smaller and fast... we just need that Julio Jones/DT/AJ Green type of receiver to make that group complete which of course is easier said than done.

Archived