Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can Trung make the difference?

Chrisbob74

Looks like Trung may make it back on the field for us on Sunday. He has shown flashes of ability at times this season whist never been explosive. Perhaps a combination of him and Rock can provide us with a solid ground game this week.

I'd like to see Trung used more as a receiver as well, get him in the open field and let him use his speed and quickness to make plays.

The running game would also benifit from better play calling. I'd run the ball 9 times out of 10 on first down, it gives us better options on 2nd down and that in turn may help keep some of the heat off Ramsey. It may at least make teams think twice before blitzing!

Trung can make a difference I believe, provided that we give him the ball and use him properly. Seattle is giving up an average of 115.9 yards per game on the ground, and opposing runners are averaging 4.0 yards/carry. We gotta feed Trung the ball early and often, and put ourselves in makeable 2nd and 3rd down situations.

If Trung alone can make the difference, then his salary should be tripled. It is not one person alone who has lead this team to the record it currently has.....and it is going to take more than Trung to make this team win.

If this team has actually looked inside themselves....and are not playing for selfish reasons or personal glory, then they will begin to work together as a team and win.

The fun and gun scheme has befuddled them as a whole. Offense and defense alike. We have seen that Ole Marv wasn't as stupid as many claimed him to be when they called for his head.

And the Ole Ball Coach has not proven to be the 2nd coming of Gibbs.

The team will perform better this week.

My wagons are circled.

;)

Blondie

If you run the ball 9 out of ten 1st downs you are going to have a lot of three and outs.

Firstly, how would that be any different from what's happening now.

Secondly, what seems to be happening in our play calling at the moment is that Spurrier will run for the first couple of plays of a drive then he seems to think he's done enough running and go pass, pass, pass!!

If you run the ball on first down, even if it is just for 2-3 yards it opens up the play book more. You can go play pass or run the ball again. It also makes 3rd down more makeable. Last week vs the Pokes we got into so many 3rd and longs and I have to believe it makes a difference to the play calling in them situations as you have to make a play for more yardage hence it removes so much out of your play book! Most teams big plays come on 2nd down when they have the defense in a position where it is harder to guess the play!

i think he can make a difference. the last time we were competitive on the field (bucs) he was playing. when he got hurt in that game, we got blown out. i think teams are scared of him and don't want to get burned. if we can get him rolling early (we start most games by running) we are sure to buy ramsey a 0.5 second to look down field. the think the backs have been mightily underused. i would love to see a trung running a wheel and breaking some poor LB's ankles.

Originally posted by Chrisbob74

Firstly, how would that be any different from what's happening now.

Secondly, what seems to be happening in our play calling at the moment is that Spurrier will run for the first couple of plays of a drive then he seems to think he's done enough running and go pass, pass, pass!!

Exactly! It's as if Spurrier runs a few times in a row just to avoid being criticized for not running the ball. Then, having gotten the running unpleasantness out of the way, he then returns to his first (and only) love, passing it. Again and again and again, without going back to the run until the next drive.

In calling plays this way, he makes us very predictable. If he could just run it once per series of 3 downs, and vary which down he runs it on, the opposing teams would have to play more cautiously, lest they get burnt. And we would keep Patrick alive longer, and maybe even make more yards and touchdowns.

Look, this doesn't pertain specifically to Trung, but in the Dallas game last week, we were on our FOURTH string running back. That would absolutely cripple any team and I don't think enough emphasis is being put on it.

I think Trung will be the difference this week.

I think the return of Betts will help the offense more.

the Redskins need to slow these games down and give their defense a break and using Betts on the ground and as a receiver out of the backfield seems to be a good place to start.

Canidate is a hit or miss player. His 15 yard run is followed by a 2 yarder and a no gainer. So the average looks pretty good, but the consistency you want is just not there.

Betts is also the team's best pass protector in the backfield as sorry as that sounds right now.

Look, this doesn't pertain specifically to Trung, but in the Dallas game last week, we were on our FOURTH string running back. That would absolutely cripple any team and I don't think enough emphasis is being put on it.

We averaged 5.6 yards a carry, when we ran it we were getting yards.

On the first drive of the 2nd half we run twice with Rock, get a first down then start airing it out....Go figure.

The drive we got a TD vs Buffalo, we ran the ball when, when Pat hit Rod for the TD he had time, the Bills D had to respect the run.

I'm not saying run all the time, but we must run to help our passing game out, our play calling is getting very predictable.:2cents:

Archived