Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Krebs:How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Embrace the Security Freeze

Zguy28

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/06/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-embrace-the-security-freeze/

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Embrace the Security Freeze

Interesting article:

If you’ve been paying attention in recent years, you might have noticed that just about everyone is losing your personal data. Even if you haven’t noticed (or maybe you just haven’t actually received a breach notice), I’m here to tell you that if you’re an American, your basic personal data is already for sale. What follows is a primer on what you can do to avoid becoming a victim of identity theft as a result of all this data (s)pillage.

I opted out permanently of receiving prequal offers in the mail. At this point in my life, if I want to open a new CC I will do the research into what card I want and apply.

Have been on the fence about the freeze, since it is $10 in VA without a police report. So $40 for all 4 credit agencies, times 3 individuals. And anytime I want to use a new line of credit, that's at least $20.

But with Target, Home Depot, Anthem, and OPM breaches, there is no doubt it's just a matter of time before I experience identity issues...

I opted out permanently of receiving prequal offers in the mail. At this point in my life, if I want to open a new CC I will do the research into what card I want and apply.

Have been on the fence about the freeze, since it is $10 in VA without a police report. So $40 for all 4 credit agencies, times 3 individuals. And anytime I want to use a new line of credit, that's at least $20.

But with Target, Home Depot, Anthem, and OPM breaches, there is no doubt it's just a matter of time before I experience identity issues...

I only have two CC's. One with a good rewards program that I use for everything and a backup card that I rarely use. Debit card for ATM withdrawal only. Way easier to recover from a fraud to your Visa than a Debit.

The worse fraud I've experienced was somebody opening six data plans in my name on my Verizon Wireless account. Changed the billing address and everything to a vacant apartment in the Bronx. Took 5 billing cycles and three different cases with their billing and fraud dept to get it off. I got my e-bill one month and it was $2000!

Archived