Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:Kornheiser-Spurrier Needs a Face-Lift

TK

washingtonpost.com

Spurrier Needs a Face-Lift

By Tony Kornheiser

Tuesday, November 4, 2003; Page D01

That face. The one he makes when he rips off his old-school visor and digs his hands through his hair and into his eyes like he's clawing his way out of a prison cell.

We all know that face.

We all know where we've seen it before.

It's just like in the Lennon-McCartney lyric, "I've just seen a face, I can't forget the time or place where we just met."

That face.

We didn't see it often. But when we did, it made a lasting impression.

He made it when Florida State or Tennessee beat him. Because he couldn't stand losing -- certainly not to them. Most of all he made it when Nebraska was crushing his Florida team, 62-24, in the 1995 national championship game. He stood on the sideline, agonizing, scraping his hands over his eyes so hard you feared his eyeballs would all of a sudden pop out of his head.

That's the last time we saw Steve Spurrier helpless and doomed.

Until Sunday in Dallas.

Late in the game That Face was visible on national television. The visor off, the headset off, the hands covering his eyes, as if to try to make this terrible game go away.

The last two and a half games have been awful, starting with the second half against Tampa Bay. That was very bad. The Buffalo game was worse. But Dallas was the worst. Because there were two weeks to prepare for Dallas, and still the Redskins couldn't get the ball downfield. Still the Redskins couldn't protect their quarterback. Still the Cowboys kept coming until it seemed like they were blitzing 10 and 12 and 14 players. If ever there was the imagery of Bill Parcells floating downstream and Steve Spurrier paddling upstream, this was it.

I advocated hiring Steve Spurrier, and I would do it again. But only a fool would be too stubborn not to say: It isn't working. At least not yet.

The Redskins can't seem to do the most basic things, like keep their quarterback alive, and stop the opposition at key moments.

You can't be handed four turnovers and lose the game. That's unacceptable. And after the game is over the head coach can't say about blitzes that came with such frequency it seemed the Cowboys had been tipped off which plays the Redskins called in their huddle, "We weren't smart enough to know where they were coming from." You can't say that. You have to know.

The head coach can't say about what happened with his own defensive line, "I didn't watch the D-line that much." Just say you watched. Or else people will write snappy lines like, "Oh, yeah? What were you watching, a replay of Ron Zook's postgame news conference?"

I don't know how to fix the Redskins. (And obviously I'm not alone.) The first thing I'd suggest, though, is stop all these audibles. Go to the line of scrimmage with the play you've called, and live with it. I like Spurrier passing a lot. That's why he's here, because of the innovation in his offense. But if you're going to pass a lot, make sure your quarterback is upright. When opposing teams blitz, help him find the open man quickly. I emphasize quickly, because you can't throw downfield when you're on your back like a turtle.

There's more than enough criticism to go around -- for assistant coaches, coordinators, players -- and nobody has to hear more from me. But what stunned me during and after the Dallas game was the volume and vitriol of the criticism directed at Spurrier and Dan Snyder from national television broadcasters. They appear delighted with Spurrier's deflation and Snyder's dejection, as if it's some kind of deserved comeuppance.

It seemed clear the former NFL players don't like Spurrier because he has dared to make the move from college to the pros without sufficient genuflection at the altar of the NFL. It seemed clear they don't like Snyder because they think he's a meddlesome rich kid who doesn't belong anywhere near the football operation; they think he should just sign checks and shut up, like Art Rooney and Lamar Hunt.

Not since the early days of bashing George Steinbrenner and bashing Jerry Jones have I heard such outright rooting against an owner like I've heard about Snyder. To be fair, it's a risky business he engages in by being the Redskins' de-facto general manager. He makes himself a target that way. And with his overwhelming desire to win now, right now, today, this minute, it often seems he's so impatient that any mistake can result in someone being fired -- or taken to dinner for six hours.

There was glee in the way the broadcasters jumped on Spurrier and Snyder for the problems the Redskins had calling plays and protecting Patrick Ramsey. There was glee in their retelling of how Danny Wuerffel shunned the Redskins' attempts to bring him back. Glee in their observations that the Redskins are spiraling downward -- satisfaction in their belief that the NFL is a Mount Everest that can't be climbed by some college Joe and some new-money brat.

But virtually every move Snyder and Spurrier made this spring and summer were greeted enthusiastically here and nationally. The players they brought in were applauded for filling roles, and specifically not being big stars past their prime. Spurrier, it was said, learned the hard NFL lessons of not being a halfway house for ex-Gators. Snyder, it was said, learned the hard NFL lessons of not bringing in Deion and other Fantasy League picks.

So how did we get to this point so quickly?

Well, you start out 3-1, then lose four in a row, and there you are at the crossroads of Lonely Street and Desperation Boulevard, where nobody is safe. There's talk of assistants being fired and old Redskins being brought in. There's talk of Snyder hitting critical mass, and Spurrier jumping ship. And although Spurrier says he's here for at least three years, there's talk of what on earth happens if that does happen, and who on earth will work for Snyder after that. With seven days between games most of what you get is talk. And if on the seventh day they don't win, maybe you get That Face.

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59983-2003Nov3.html

Great article and it certainly puts things in perspective. How the national media can be so outwardly agains the Redskins organization without anybody raising this issue publicly is beyong me.

It's one thing to be openly critical but what's going on at Fox right now is a disgrace. Those fat cats at Fox should be ashamed of the product they are putting out there.

great article. Seemed like Satchmo was gonna take our back there for the long hual and he did.

Still got a feeling of just "Ow" from this article too. All the articles I have read the last two days are either "uhhhhhh" or "owwww."

I am sooo tired.....

There's more than enough criticism to go around -- for assistant coaches, coordinators, players -- and nobody has to hear more from me. But what stunned me during and after the Dallas game was the volume and vitriol of the criticism directed at Spurrier and Dan Snyder from national television broadcasters. They appear delighted with Spurrier's deflation and Snyder's dejection, as if it's some kind of deserved comeuppance.

It seemed clear the former NFL players don't like Spurrier because he has dared to make the move from college to the pros without sufficient genuflection at the altar of the NFL. It seemed clear they don't like Snyder because they think he's a meddlesome rich kid who doesn't belong anywhere near the football operation; they think he should just sign checks and shut up, like Art Rooney and Lamar Hunt.

Not since the early days of bashing George Steinbrenner and bashing Jerry Jones have I heard such outright rooting against an owner like I've heard about Snyder. To be fair, it's a risky business he engages in by being the Redskins' de-facto general manager. He makes himself a target that way. And with his overwhelming desire to win now, right now, today, this minute, it often seems he's so impatient that any mistake can result in someone being fired -- or taken to dinner for six hours.

There was glee in the way the broadcasters jumped on Spurrier and Snyder for the problems the Redskins had calling plays and protecting Patrick Ramsey. There was glee in their retelling of how Danny Wuerffel shunned the Redskins' attempts to bring him back. Glee in their observations that the Redskins are spiraling downward -- satisfaction in their belief that the NFL is a Mount Everest that can't be climbed by some college Joe and some new-money brat.

It's just as mystifying to me, Tony.

For instance, I tuned in to ESPN's Sports Reporters show yesterday afternoon and was just shocked at how every single member of the show's panel, from Mike Lupica to William Rhoden, simply loved what was happening to the Redskins, almost getting off on Spurrier & Snyder's woes the way fratboys would get off at watching a stag film. Sal Paolantonio, the least excited of them all (relatively speaking), offered that he kinda felt sorry for Spurrier, implying that the problem really wasn't with Spurrier (nor, I guess, Spurrier's system or his well-documented lack of emphasis on player discipline), but rather with Snyder, whose "big mistake" seems to have been "trying to buy a championship" (seriously, sports reporters of the world, that line is about as tired as cops-and-donuts jokes; get some new material already) by going out and acquiring all those talented, high-character roster additions who performed so well during the first quarter of the season, namely Coles and Hall.

Look, I don't expect these people to be flacks for Snyder or the Redskin Nation, but most of their attacks are totally nonsensical. And coupled with the clear piling on, vis-à-vis the Skins current troubles, that was done by Fox Sport's NFL broadcast crew during Sunday's game, it's clear to me that these media guys, for the most part, hate Snyder with the same intensity that, say, I fear clowns. I think it's also clear that their hatred of Snyder -- given that I know of no cases of Snyder ever p*ssing in their Cheerios -- is as patently irrational as my fear of Bozo and his colorfully face-painted pals.

Bozo.gif

:twitch:

Originally posted by laurent

Great article and it certainly puts things in perspective. How the national media can be so outwardly agains the Redskins organization without anybody raising this issue publicly is beyong me.

It's one thing to be openly critical but what's going on at Fox right now is a disgrace. Those fat cats at Fox should be ashamed of the product they are putting out there.

Yea the Commentating crews leave very much to be desired but when Snyder & Company put that kind of product out there then you opening yourself up to all sorts of petulance, sophmoric analysis. Collinsworth is pretty putrid IMO. And that snotty nosed nepotism kid Buck-he sucks- Litereally probably.

Yeah, but be honest here. Why is it that everybody loves to kick Snyder when he’s down? Maybe part of it is that the guy is young and rich, but that’s not the only reason. Face it – the guy has a reputation for being impulsive and arrogant. It’s wrong for the commentators to constantly trash Snyder, but there’s at least a reason for it.

He shouldn't wait until middle of the week to call these guys. He has a TV in earshot and can hear what they are saying. Walk straight to the booth and call them on their BS. Tell Collinsworth if he is so frickin smart, and an ex-Gator, go down to the sidelines right now and tell Spurrier he's doing it wrong. I dare ya. Go tell Bruce Smith he getting demolished. Tell Samuels he couldn't block a dumpster if it were on its side in front of him.

Originally posted by BodyBagGame

Yeah, but be honest here. Why is it that everybody loves to kick Snyder when he’s down? Maybe part of it is that the guy is young and rich, but that’s not the only reason. Face it – the guy has a reputation for being impulsive and arrogant. It’s wrong for the commentators to constantly trash Snyder, but there’s at least a reason for it.

You can't really argue with that. What team makes the most noise every offseason? What team completely turns over its roster on a regualr basis? Snyder and Spurrier are not exactly sympathetic figures. A young, rich, impetulant, overbearing owner and maybe the most arrogant, condescending coach in the league. I'm not saying that a journalist with any integrity would behave this way....but I can recognize why we are quickly becoming the most hated (and laughed at) team in the NFL.

Originally posted by gridironmike

He shouldn't wait until middle of the week to call these guys. He has a TV in earshot and can hear what they are saying. Walk straight to the booth and call them on their BS. Tell Collinsworth if he is so frickin smart, and an ex-Gator, go down to the sidelines right now and tell Spurrier he's doing it wrong. I dare ya. Go tell Bruce Smith he getting demolished. Tell Samuels he couldn't block a dumpster if it were on its side in front of him.

And that would do what??? Spurrier is doing it wrong. Two weeks off, game planning solely for Dallas, and that's the BEST that could be attained?? Bruce Smith, along with the DL and LBs WERE being demolished. The OL couldn't block or blitz pickup for crap.

The offense could magically move up to midfield from time to time, but died there. Negative passing yards until well into the fourth quarter. One final chance to redeem themselves, and Dallas drove the ball down field for the final 2 and a half minutes.

If not for Dallas playing like crap the first half, it would have been a rout. Blaming the commentators for actually commentating on that debacle is useless venting of steam. Writers and network folks always pick on the helpless and weak. Ask Arizona or Cincinati fans.

The Redskins are getting slammed because at this moment, they deserve it. I haven't read or heard a single thing I haven't already though about, and have said outloud much, much worst.

Archived