Extremeskins

Smoot: 'My Team Needs Me'

TK

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12186

Smoot: 'My Team Needs Me'

10/31/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Injured cornerback Fred Smoot picked up his practice tempo on Friday and afterwards pronounced himself ready to return to action in Sunday’s game at Dallas. He is still listed as doubtful, however, and a final decision on his status won’t be made until game time.

“Fred’s got a chance of playing,” head coach Steve Spurrier said. “He was out practicing pretty well the last couple of days.”

Smoot suffered a bruised sternum in the Week 6 game against Tampa Bay and sat out the Buffalo game. He returned to practice with the team on Thursday, but has not participated in any contact drills since the injury.

“[in Friday’s practice], he bumped around on the tackling dummy and didn’t have any pain,” Spurrier said. “He hit it with both shoulders. We don’t have to announce anything [about his status] unless the player is definitely out of the game, but there’s a good chance he’ll play.”

Said Smoot: “I’ll play—I’m basing it on how I feel. I practiced and ran today. I’m just doing the small things to see where I’m at personally. Personally, I think I can play.”

Smoot said he wants to play—especially because the Cowboys have three fast wide receivers in Terry Glenn, Joey Galloway and Antonio Bryant who are sure to present a challenge for the Redskins’ secondary. They are the only trio of wide receivers in the league who each have at least 300 yards receiving.

“My team needs me,” he said. “I have to be there for my guys.”

If Smoot plays, he said he may wear a soft pad covering his chest so that his shoulder pads can’t turn inward and exacerbate the injury.

Third cornerback Rashad Bauman did not practice on Friday due to a sprained left ankle. He was not wearing a protective boot but his foot was still heavily taped. He is listed as questionable for the game. Complete Injury Report.

If Smoot and Bauman can’t play on Sunday, safety David Terrell could start at cornerback and recent acquisition Calvin Carlyle would suit up, Spurrier said. Undrafted rookie Ade Jimoh would likely be the nickel cornerback ahead of Carlyle, who is also an undrafted rookie.

"It's a big opportunity for them," defensive backs coach George Catavolos said, referring to Terrell, Jimoh, young safety Todd Franz and possibly Carlyle. "I think they've got to be excited about going against the caliber of wide receivers that Dallas has. They'll have to step up and do the job."

Extra Points

The Redskins have released offensive lineman Brad Bedell and resigned tight end Kevin Ware to the 53-man roster. This is Ware’s third stint on the active roster; he was elevated for two separate games earlier this year due to an Achilles injury to Zeron Flemister. It is expected the team will leave the practice squad spot vacant until next week.

Trung Canidate, who has a high ankle sprain, remains doubtful for Sunday's game and Spurrier did not seem optimistic that he would have his starting tailback's services. He reiterated that Chad Morton, Rock Cartwright and Sultan McCullough could each see action at tailback.

The last four games between the Redskins and Cowboys have been decided by seven points or less.

Originally posted by terpfan

bailey does his job and does it well. he played with a fractured hand and still managed a pick and a critical forced fumble. i cant believe how bitter some people are getting over him wanting to be paid.

I agree, I want Bailey and Smoot signed to long term deals.

Air Sarge, totally agree about the anti-Smoot threads. I hope people stop with the anti-Bailey crap too.

Smoot while he has the lip always had the approachable team player type air about him while lately Champ's I wanna get paid stuff does gets on everybody's nerves.

Why?

Because we dont have a good track record with player that get the fat contract and while I am a champ fan (he's on our team) I still havent seen that many game altering plays from him to be so vocal about benjamins compared to a Surtain, etc.

But I still would like for him to remain.

If not heck take that 19 million dollar signing bonus and grab woodson, springs, etc and use picks to go dline

Archived