Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN: State Dept. Won’t Say If Christian Toddler Jailed in Sudan is U.S. Citizen (merged)

nonniey

Had a passing interest in this story until the US citizenship connection came to light. That got my attention.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/state-dept-won-t-say-if-christian-toddler-jailed-sudan-us-citizen-1

"...........

Meriam Ibrahim—the toddler’s mother and fellow prisoner--was sentenced to be executed last week by a Sudanese court. Her capital offense was refusing to renounce her Christian faith.

Daniel Wani, Meriam Ibrahim’s husband, is reportedly a naturalized U.S. citizen who has been seeking help from the U.S. State Department for himself, his son, his wife, and the unborn child, who Meriam Ibrahim is now carrying in the eighth month of pregnancy.

Meriam, 27, was born in Sudan to a Muslim father and Ethiopian Orthodox mother, according to Morning Star News, a Christian news site. Her father reportedly left the family when she was six and her mother raised her as a Christian. She and Daniel Wani married in the Christian faith in 2012 and had their first child, Martin Wani.

In February, she and the boy were imprisoned. At the time, she was five months pregnant. The boy is in prison with his mother, according to the Morning Star News, because Sudan will not allow his father to take care of him because his father is a Christian

In March, a Sudanese court charged the mother with apostasy for professing Christianity after having been born of a Muslim father. The court also charged her with “adultery” for relations with her own husband because Sudan refuses to recognize the marriage of a Muslim woman to a Christian man.

Last week, after Meriam refused to renounce her Christian faith, the court sentenced her to be flogged for adultery and executed for apostasy......

“My wife was never a Muslim,” Wani told the Morning Star News. “As an American citizen, I ask the people and government of the USA to help me.”

The news site reported that Wani said the U.S. Embassy in Khartoum wanted him to provide DNA evidence to prove the imprisoned toddler, Martin Wani, was his son.

“I will have to take a DNA sample in Khartoum, then send it to the USA for testing,” Wani told the news site. “I have provided wedding documents and the baby’s birth certificate, and doors were closed on his face.”

“I have tried to apply for papers to travel to the USA with my wife and child, but the American Embassy in Sudan did not help me,” Wani said. “My son is an American citizen living in a difficult situation in prison...........................”

."

Pressure mounts on Sudan over Christian's death sentence

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/05/20/will-sudan-really-execute-a-pregnant-christian-woman/

(CNN) - International pressure is mounting on Sudan to release a pregnant Christian woman sentenced to death for apostasy, with members of the U.S. Congress asking Secretary of State John Kerry to intervene on her behalf.

In a public letter to Kerry, Sens. Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire and Roy Blunt of Missouri, both Republicans, called the sentencing of Meriam Yahya Ibrahim "outrageous."

"We request your immediate action and full diplomatic engagement to offer Meriam political asylum and to secure her and her son's safe release," the senators told Kerry.

As the letter notes, Ibrahim's husband is an American citizen who has ties to New Hampshire.

Ibrahim, a 27-year-old Christian woman, a wife and mother expecting another child, faces a long and unpredictable legal journey, according to her lawyer and international experts.

On May 15, a court in Khartoum convicted Ibrahim of apostasy, or the renunciation of faith, and sentenced her to death.

Archived