Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Predict the futures of 2014 1st round QBs

Riggo-toni

3 guys picked in the 1st this year...just like in 2002. Will they boom or bust? Make your prognostications here so I can bump this thread every year for a good laugh at your expense...or you might do the same to me if I'm wrong.

I think all 3 will blow chunks.

1.Blake Gabbert aka Blain Borttles. Once again the Jags draft another Blah QB. Jerrah may have been able to resist a hometown hero in Johnny Fuzball, but Khan couldn't help himself. It became inevitable once the GM suggested trading for some guy named Kirk. Khan screamed that he would rather go to the ends of the galaxy to kill Kirk.

2.Johnny Quinn aka Brady Manziel. He got drafted by the Browns. That's gotta hurt. If by some miracle Josh McDaniels gets another head coaching gig, maybe he'll blow a draft pick and a 1200 yard rusher to trader for this never will be. Otherwise, enjoy your time in Cleveland, where the football team is named after the color of the water.

3.Teddy Bridgewater - a great name for a nose tackle; kinda lame for a QB. Everyone says he's a nice guy. Norvo the Clown is a great playcaller (at least on the opening drive), but he is the thalidomide of QBs -stopping growth before it starts. Aikman aside anyways.

Maybe you can run for Congress after your brief career is over.

I actually like Bortles, and think he'll be pretty decent. It's up to the Jags organization to surround him with some talent though. He won't lift a team by himself like a Luck/RG3 but he could be like a Kaepernick type, with good players around him he can be productive and win.

No clue on Manziel. He'll be fun to watch and make highlight reel plays but what's gonna happen in that division against three nasty physical defenses that will lay him out when they get their hands on him? You saw RG3 against the AFC North in 2012 and all three teams managed to rough him up(though he still put up good #s against two of them, but suffered a big injury vs. Baltimore). He'll have some talent around him though with Tate and those receivers and a coach who knows how to utilize that kind of QB.

Bridgewater will be mediocre at best. Basically Ponder 2.0, maybe a little bit better. Vikings will be picking at the top of the draft for the forseeable future anyway, maybe they'll be in the Jameis Winston sweepstakes in a year or two.

This was the year to avoid the QB. My belief has always been if the QBs at the top aren't slam dunk choices, you're better off just avoiding the position and stockpiling the rest of your team, and then one year you'll pick in the middle of the first and can find a guy like a Flacco or Roethlisberger fall into your laps.

Honestly think Manziel fell into an ideal situation/Browns picked him in the ideal spot.

They have the potential for a top 10 defense and depending on how they use the rest of their picks they can solidify their line and get a solid 2 to go with Gordon, Cameron, and Hawkins in the slot.

That's about as solid of an offensive situation as any young guy could walk into, and by picking him at 22 the impact if he's not successful is drastically reduced over grabbing him at the top.

EDIT: Now Gordon may be gone for a year, that changes everything. Lets see what else they get the kid. If they can't cobble together something I'd leave him on the bench most of, if not all year. Let Hoyer take the beating.

I'd go Manziel, Bridgewater, Bortles and I think all three will be solid QBs, though probably not superstars.

Bridgewater was easily ahead of the other two based on what he did on the field. He was hurt by garbage that scouts give too much weight, like the combine and his pro day. He'll be the best of the three and he landed in the best situation. I don't think he'll be great, but he'll be better than Johnny drinking problem and the guy that's really tall.

Agree with Destino, Bridgewater is the best QB in this draft. He wont be a superstar but he was so much better than Manziel and Bortles in terms of play on the field and how it translates to the NFL.

Bortles just fit that look NFL teams are looking for and Manziel has a hype machine behind him.

It depends on whether/how long Josh Gordon is suspended for.

If Gordon plays 12 games?

Johnny Manziel has the best rookie season.

Then I would pick Teddy to put up decent numbers

I think Carr gets on the field before the season is out and plays well.

Followed by Bortles bringing up the rear.

Bortles... Not even pencilled as starter, which maybe beneficial given woeful team. I think he can be as productive as j. Csmpbell. Minimal game to game success, team probably will never compete. He'll likely fizzle out and have nice journeyman career.

Manziel- will not translate to NFL player. Johnny college football. Bust, will compare career to Tebow. Brady Quinn version 2.0

Bridgewater- not NFL talent IMO.

Which is why I would not have drafted any of them-Period. I don't care how WB needy you are. It's a waste of 1st rounder.

Give me McCarron in 6th any day of week over bortles

• 8 months later...

It depends on whether/how long Josh Gordon is suspended for.

If Gordon plays 12 games?

Johnny Manziel has the best rookie season.

Then I would pick Teddy to put up decent numbers

I think Carr gets on the field before the season is out and plays well.

Followed by Bortles bringing up the rear.

Good call on Carr and Bridgewater.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, if I were a talent scout on a team considering Manziel I would have wagered my future that he's a bust. Given that, I like to think I should land somewhere in the NFL family.

Just think, I could have saved Cle a 1st rounder.... just saying

Archived