Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bruce Allen's Draft History

Thinking Skins

I woulda liked this if not for the word stupid, but its generally true. Plus people love having somebody to hate.

I'm one of the biggest homers around these parts.  However, when I look at the staff the freakin' Titans put together (Whisenhunt, Horton, and Spanos) and then look at who we are trotting out on the sideline this fall, it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies about Bruce as a GM.

The more (longer) we are "in negotiations/talks" with Doug Williams, the more I get interested in this.

He knows Bruce, and he also knows exactly what he wants his contract to say to do a certain job.

I totally agree.  Give Doug what he wants, he would be a nice get for us.

Pretty useless to me considering in Washington, and probably the majority of time in Oakland he wasn't the personnel guy.

Tampa was probably the closest, but I am not sure how many picks he made other than cleaning up their salary cap and working with his coaches.

And now as well, he's not the personnel guy.

Haven't you read any of the Hankerson threads? :)

Personally, I think Bruce Allen is a weak link in our chain of command.  He should've stayed on as a cap guy, but I don't like that he has any say in football matters.  I don't think he's confident/competent as a personnel guy, so he's gonna lean more heavily on Gruden than I would prefer.  It sounds like the same trash we went through with Shanny, but now Allen has the scapegoat tag around his neck instead of our HC.

If you can't run a competent coaching search, and you keep most of your pathetic defensive staff, how in the hell am I supposed to have faith in his ability to have a good draft?  

And don't hit me with the "how can you say that before these guys have had a chance to..." stuff.  The writing is on the wall.  Everyone can read it, but we are scared to death to admit it.  We need to warm up to the fact that Bruce Allen could very well be an idiot.

I actually hate myself for feeling this exact same way. :(

I can't get it out of my mind. I can't get the fact that everyone was saying Gruden was going to be the guy from the start because of his connection with Allen, and then he ended up being the guy. And then as soon as he was hired, they said McVay would be O Coordinator and Has would be D coordinator. And they ended up exactly in those spots with no known interviews given to others like Gruden said.  

It just all seems so fake and preconceived. I was legitimately excited for a second when Allen was doing all of those coaching interviews... but it all just seems like it really was a sham.  

Now, does that mean Gruden is going to stink it up? Nope. He might be the best coach ever in Redskin history for all we know. McVay seems like a great candidate and I'm glad he learned from Kyle and is openly saying that, so why not, you know?

But I hate that we have to feel like this right now. That this is more of the same "preconceived coaching hire" that we've been through how many times now and there was no real process. There was no real process in at least interviewing guys to upgrade our scouting department as well. I'm not anti-Campbell and Brown, either... I just would've liked to see that we looked around at least. It just is what it is and I can't hide from it.    

The best thing going for me in my mind right now is that I was super excited for every coaching hire the last 10 years and thought they'd all be great for us, so maybe now that I'm feeling differently it's a sign of great things to come, lol.  

• 2 weeks later...

The main reason I se any relevance in Bruce Allen's draft history is his participation in it; of which we no little to nothing.  However, if I was hiring a person, I'd want that person to come from a successful organization. This way that individual can reach back to memory and make good choices.  So, looking at Bruce Allen's history I would say he doesn't have much history to draw from to make good decisions. But I agree that there are so many factors like injury, or a poor QB will make any 1st rd WR look bad, etc..

I don't think Allen though was ever a deciding voice in a players skill, just the contract and money side.  reading his recent statements about how the selection is a team effort, I believe him and I respect that he knows he's not the guru so many other GMs think they are.

I actually hate myself for feeling this exact same way. :(

I can't get it out of my mind. I can't get the fact that everyone was saying Gruden was going to be the guy from the start because of his connection with Allen, and then he ended up being the guy. And then as soon as he was hired, they said McVay would be O Coordinator and Has would be D coordinator. And they ended up exactly in those spots with no known interviews given to others like Gruden said.

It just all seems so fake and preconceived. I was legitimately excited for a second when Allen was doing all of those coaching interviews... but it all just seems like it really was a sham.

Now, does that mean Gruden is going to stink it up? Nope. He might be the best coach ever in Redskin history for all we know. McVay seems like a great candidate and I'm glad he learned from Kyle and is openly saying that, so why not, you know?

But I hate that we have to feel like this right now. That this is more of the same "preconceived coaching hire" that we've been through how many times now and there was no real process. There was no real process in at least interviewing guys to upgrade our scouting department as well. I'm not anti-Campbell and Brown, either... I just would've liked to see that we looked around at least. It just is what it is and I can't hide from it.

The best thing going for me in my mind right now is that I was super excited for every coaching hire the last 10 years and thought they'd all be great for us, so maybe now that I'm feeling differently it's a sign of great things to come, lol.

I think Gruden was the guy from the start. Not just because of his connection with Allen either. I think Mcvay is far and away the best coach on our staff anyways, so that was a great hire. Haslett is meh. If we invest in defense he can't be any worse right?

The main reason I se any relevance in Bruce Allen's draft history is his participation in it; of which we no little to nothing.  However, if I was hiring a person, I'd want that person to come from a successful organization. This way that individual can reach back to memory and make good choices.  So, looking at Bruce Allen's history I would say he doesn't have much history to draw from to make good decisions. But I agree that there are so many factors like injury, or a poor QB will make any 1st rd WR look bad, etc..

I'd disagree with this statement, particularly for the time period we're talking about. Oakland went to a super bowl and lost to Gruden's Bucs. Allen won Executive of the Year while with Oakland. I don't know what he was doing, but since he left their records have been 4-12, 5-11, 4-12, 2-14, 5-11, 5-11, 8-8, 8-8, 4-12, and 4-12. While he was there, it was 8-8, 7-9, 4-12, 8-8, 8-8, 12-4, 10-6, and 11-5. I notice a dropoff after he left, Does that indicate that he had some type of a role in this? Maybe his role was just calming down Al Davis, but if that was his role then doesn't that make him perfect for Dan Snyder?

And lets not forget that he (Davis) brought in Jon Gruden in Oakland, so even the coaching search is not uniue to him. Then when Gruden left for Tampa, he (Davis) brought in Callihan who led them to a SB.

Same goes for Tampa. He didn't lead them to records of 7-9, 5-11, 11-5, 4-12, 9-7, and 9-7. Not a stellar record but definitely not a floormat either. I'd say that he's probably picked up something about good habits and bad habits from these organizations.

Archived