Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor vs. Len Bias

Mania

DC9 and sempre, there is evidence that Bias didn't have any trace of "old cocaine" in his system, and since it takes a long time to leave the system than that is pretty good evidence that it was his first time.

Thanks for giving me your opinions. I agree that as a redskins fan the ST murder was more tragic, but as a sports fan the Len bias death was more tragic.

The half life for cocaine is 3-5 days.  That's not a long of a time at all.  It's one of the shortest half lifes of recreational drugs. 

EDIT:  And it very easily could've been his first time using it.  But I'm not familiar with many tests out there that can test for anything other than a nanogram level.  I'm sure during an autopsy they have access to tissue and hair, etc, which may give better readings on that type of thing.  If that's where they came from and that's what the doctors are saying then I'd believe it.

Still doesn't make it less tragic for me because it was Bias' choice to do cocaine.  It was not Sean Taylor's choice for his house to get robbed and to get shot.

Personally, Taylor. Being more of a football and Skins fan. That was a big loss for the team and fans.

Who didnt like Bias, though? Great player - very tragic. But Bias was going to Boston, not to play for the Bullets. I was a fan but since he was playing for another cities team and sport I didnt watch nearly as much as NFL and MLB.

Bias' death crippled the Maryland program for over a decade. One stupid night and boom - everything, including a young life, goes away.

DC9 and sempre, there is evidence that Bias didn't have any trace of "old cocaine" in his system, and since it takes a long time to leave the system than that is pretty good evidence that it was his first time.

Thanks for giving me your opinions. I agree that as a redskins fan the ST murder was more tragic, but as a sports fan the Len bias death was more tragic.

The half life for cocaine is 3-5 days.  That's not a long of a time at all.  It's one of the shortest half lifes of recreational drugs. 

EDIT:  And it very easily could've been his first time using it.  But I'm not familiar with many tests out there that can test for anything other than a nanogram level.  I'm sure during an autopsy they have access to tissue and hair, etc, which may give better readings on that type of thing.  If that's where they came from and that's what the doctors are saying then I'd believe it.

Still doesn't make it less tragic for me because it was Bias' choice to do cocaine.  It was not Sean Taylor's choice for his house to get robbed and to get shot.

At the time of his death the media meme was that it was his first time trying it. It made the story sound more tragic. 

In retrospect, that appears to be BS. SI had a piece months later where one of the people there mentioned doing coke with him on multiple occasions, the cocaine dealer was one of Bias' best friends and everything we know about how he acted that night suggested a chronic user. Many experts have said that kind of OD was pretty much unheard of from a first time user. 

Archived