Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Even if he does leave, Durant isn't going to the Wizards in the foreseeable future. The Wizards, as with the CAps, have largely quit on splashy free agent acquisitions. The last big Ted Leonsis FA signing was Jagr :lol:

Durant will leave OKC if he has to for the money, and end up in LA or a big market...maybe even Miami :rolleyes: But not DC

What does LA and Miami have that DC doesn't besides good weather.

If LeBron is still in Miami, he won't be going there, and the Lakers are going to be in year two of a rebuild... and Kobe might still be on the team.

Oh, and Leonsis night be frugal, but he isn't serious. If Durant hits the market, and he is interested in DC, which many people think/know he is, Leonsis will open them pockets.

Unless something drastic happens, there is only two teams KD will sign with, and that is OKC or DC.

I hear ya MLS, but I think the Lakers would be a very attractive spot for Durant.

I agree that DC makes sense emotionally, but LA is LA.

For example, DC was not Jordans team ever. Just closer to North Carolina, who (Charlotte) clearly never even went after Jordan.

• Like 1

But KH, it also makes sense basketball wise and marketing wise. We see RG3 thriving in this market, and usually NFL players aren't supposed to be that marketable.

And I don't think LA will have anybody that meshes well with KD as John Wall ave Bradley Beal would.

But I'll say this, if Otto Porter can compliment Wall and Beal as good as his potential would say he can, then we could use money we would for KD, and spend it on a big.

• Like 1

I hear ya MLS, but I think the Lakers would be a very attractive spot for Durant.

For example, DC was not Jordans team ever. Just closer to North Carolina, who (Charlotte) clearly never even went after Jordan.

LA. You mean the a Lakers?! DHoward couldn't get out of town fast enough. Nash admitted he was sticking around to get paid. Kobe got at least twice as much as he's currently worth to stay two more season. LAL is a dumpster fire. They lost the front office magic that made them great. Edited by Destino

But KH, it also makes sense basketball wise and marketing wise. We see RG3 thriving in this market, and usually NFL players aren't supposed to be that marketable.

And I don't think LA will have anybody that meshes well with KD as John Wall ave Bradley Beal would.

But I'll say this, if Otto Porter can compliment Wall and Beal as good as his potential would say he can, then we could use money we would for KD, and spend it on a big.

DC is not a bigger market than LA when it comes to basketball. With that said...I would love to see Ted open his wallet and say welcome home Kevin.

LA. You mean the a Lakers?! DHoward couldn't get out of town fast enough. Nash admitted he was sticking around to get paid. Kobe got at least twice as much as he's currently worth to stay two more season. LAL is a dumpster fire. They lost the front office magic that made them great.

Howard was a bad deal all around for the Lakers. It was a piss poor decision to give up so much for a guy without an extension. Nash was a horrible decision based on age alone, but it was a deal they had to do when they decided to let Fisher go. They had no depth at the 1 spot. As far as Kobe goes, seemed silly to extend him at that point, but they wanted to show a certain amount of appreciation for him that is rare in sports these days. Same as Jordan signing one year deals for nearly a 100 million over the course of 3 years. Lakers problems started when they started messing with the chemistry of the team.

Keep Fisher as a bench player, keep Barnes and Ariza as defenders, trade Gasol while the stock was high. The only two moves they got right were getting rid of Bynum and yup...only one.

This keeping D'Antoni thing is beyond irritating.

• Like 2

If LeBron is still in Miami, he won't be going there, and the Lakers are going to be in year two of a rebuild... and Kobe might still be on the team.

Oh, and Leonsis night be frugal, but he isn't serious. If Durant hits the market, and he is interested in DC, which many people think/know he is, Leonsis will open them pockets.

Unless something drastic happens, there is only two teams KD will sign with, and that is OKC or DC.

Agreed.  Leonsis wouldn't hesitate to sign Durant if he could.  Most KD can cost is a max deal and Leonsis would make SO much more money off Durant than he would spend.

Durant in DC with two teammates as good and complimentary as Wall and Beal would be a match made in heaven.  But the only way Durant will ever leave OKC is if things get really really bad there.

ML, give up the dream, man. Durant isn't going to DC. As I keep saying, the hometown thing is way overblown.

And you asked what Miami had that DC doesn't? Other than weather, the other obvious thing is no taxes. With that said, I don't think he goes anywhere. But if he did, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be DC. Hell, not to sound like Smitty, but even Charlotte makes more sense. And much nicer place to live.

Edited by Bubble Screen

ML, give up the dream, man. Durant isn't going to DC. As I keep saying, the hometown thing is way overblown.

And you asked what Miami had that DC doesn't? Other than weather, the other obvious thing is no taxes. With that said, I don't think he goes anywhere. But if he did, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be DC. Hell, not to sound like Smitty, but even Charlotte makes more sense. And much nicer place to live.

Shaq, Lebron, and Bosh went to Miami because of Pat Riley and Wade. Not weather, not taxes, or any of that other bull****. The only star I can think of that went to a city because of the city itself, in recent memory, is Melo and I suspect his wife played a major role in that. The results were exactly what you'd expect when picking a team because of where it is rather than who is running it. Bad. The media market stuff is overblown by the media, the same media that has is still talking about the Knivks during the playoffs that the Knicks failed to make.

If the market mattered Chicago wouldn't have been struggling with draft picks since Jordan left. The Clippers wouldn't have needed to luck into Griffin and then again into Paul in order to stop being horrible. The Knicks wouldn't be the Knicks. Brooklyn wouldn't have had to overpay just to be relevant. The Lakers wouldn't have seen Howard run screaming from town. The nba is all about the front office and in cases like Pop and Jackson, the coach. When players respect that they want to play there. When they don't, they don't, even if you've got wonderful weather and large markets.

I knew somebody was going to bring up the no taxes. But he would make so much new money in DC than he would in Miami off of endorsements.

It seems like everybody has multiple pairs of the KD's. People are rocking Thunder 35 jerseys, etc.

And look, if we didn't have Wall and Beal, I would agree that the chances of KD coming here would be laughable.

But Wall and Beal changes things man. It's not that KD will come here because he's from Seat Pleasant, MD, no, he would come here because of a dynamic, young backcourt and the fact that it's his hometown just sweetens it.

But again, all of this could be a moot point if Otto develops.

Shaq, Lebron, and Bosh went to Miami because of Pat Riley and Wade. Not weather, not taxes, or any of that other bull****. The only star I can think of that went to a city because of the city itself, in recent memory, is Melo and I suspect his wife played a major role in that. The results were exactly what you'd expect when picking a team because of where it is rather than who is running it. Bad. The media market stuff is overblown by the media, the same media that has is still talking about the Knivks during the playoffs that the Knicks failed to make.

If the market mattered Chicago wouldn't have been struggling with draft picks since Jordan left. The Clippers wouldn't have needed to luck into Griffin and then again into Paul in order to stop being horrible. The Knicks wouldn't be the Knicks. Brooklyn wouldn't have had to overpay just to be relevant. The Lakers wouldn't have seen Howard run screaming from town. The nba is all about the front office and in cases like Pop and Jackson, the coach. When players respect that they want to play there. When they don't, they don't, even if you've got wonderful weather and large markets.

That's a great point about front offices, but I think more factors than that are considered. Look at Howard. Do you think he went to Houston because of Harden, alone? No. Coaching? No. Front office? No. Weather? No. No taxes? Bingo. Edited by Bubble Screen

Multiple championships, history, FA destination, strong title contenders (well the Lakers aren't, but still...the NAME itself...Lakers

I find it very hard to believe that he would go back to his hometown club. It rarely happens in sports, especially in the NBA where the big clubs will spend out the kazoo to buy talent. Knicks, Lakers, Heat...maybe he resigns with OKC. But I don't see him going to the Wizards. The Wizards simply do not spend money 

Kobe's hometown is Philly but he never went to the Sixers

Jordan is a NC guy but he never played for the Hornets / Bobcats

Just because you are born and raised somewhere doesn't mean you want to go there to play basketball professionally. LeBron did play for his hometown team, but it was largely out of his hands because the FO drafted him. 

If anything, LeBron, the "Ohio Hometown Boy", left Ohio to go to Miami, a place he had no affiliation with growing up. 

Edited by ixcuincle

The only way KD comes to DC hinges on whether or not Westbrook is still with that team.

OKC should make Jackson the PG and try and lure one of the top free agents there. That would be the route I take.

Westbrook and Love could go home and join forces with the Lakers. Have no idea if that is feasible or not though.

Edited by Bubble Screen

OKC should make Jackson the PG and try and lure one of the top free agents there. That would be the route I take.

Westbrook and Love could go home and join forces with the Lakers. Have no idea if that is feasible or not though.

This.

Besides, I don't know how I can make myself any clearer, KD being from the DC area is not the biggest reason he should come here. It is Wall and Beal.

I hear ya MLS, but I think the Lakers would be a very attractive spot for Durant.

Lakers best bet to build a strong foundation is to use this lottery pick to get a franchise player and commit to it becoming his team and building around him.  Trying to skip the rebuild isn't going to work anymore.  If a disgruntled superstar hits FA looking to change teams, he's not making his decision based on cities or markets any more.  He's making it based on his future teammates, and their potential to work together to win a championship.

The only way LA is going to lure a star in FA if they don't already have a great foundation in players in place, is if they get two stars to come together.  I.E., Westbrook and Love making a pact to play together in LA.

But the Lakers can't count on that.  Just like it'd be absurd for the Wizards to pin all their hopes on getting Durant in two years.

They need to find the right coach, stop chasing after big names and stars, and build from the ground up.  Get yourself your own Brad Stevens.  Draft yourself a Marcus Smart this year.  Or Aaron Gordon or Noah Vonleh.  Find some serviceable vets on short contracts for now.  Get yourself another young piece in the draft next year, or look to trade for some undervalued young guy on a bottom dweller that's rebuild stalled out and is shuffling their lottery talent.  Someone from Sacramento or Milwaukee?

Move forward building around those two young foundation pieces and that talented young coach and that's your contender, you won't have to chase other teams' disgruntled stars.

That's what Boston is doing.  They'll be back to being good before the Lakers will because of it.

That's a great point about front offices, but I think more factors than that are considered. Look at Howard. Do you think he went to Houston because of Harden, alone? No. Coaching? No. Front office? No. Weather? No. No taxes? Bingo.

It wasn't the taxes.  He would have made more money by staying in LA.  And he could have signed in Dallas if it was just about taxes.  He went to Houston because of all the things you're saying no to except the weather.  It was the players already on the team, the front office, and the coach.  He wanted to play with a second star like Harden, wanted to play with his buddy Chandler Parsons, wanted to play for Kevin McHale, and believed in what Daryl Morey was pitching.

Stars want to play for coaches they trust and/or play with other stars.  They want to win rings.  That's what they make their decisions based on 9 times out of 10.

I don't see Durant leaving OKC but if he does Ernie Grunfeld sure as hell isn't the type of GM that's going to make players buy in.

Nor is Wittman that coach.  Although come to think of it, he might like to play in an offense designed around getting him open jumpers.  But with Durant, the draw is playing with Wall and Beal plus getting to play in DC.

• Like 1

I never said it was 'just' about taxes. If you notice, I was responding to someone that said players go places mainly for the front office situation.

It's a combination of factors. And anyone that doesn't think the no tax thing is part of it, is just being naive.

Edited by Bubble Screen