Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7 : Breaking Down David Amerson: Is He The Right Pick for The Redskins?

Lavarleap56

See, this is what I don't get at the Sherman comparison. He says Sherman is faster, but he actually timed out significantly slower in the 40. He may play faster now, but he certainly didn't while in college. And that's not just a timed speed thing, there's a reason he was a 5th rounder. He was physical, but his college tape doesn't scream future lockdown corner. I think it's more of a hindsight is 20/20 statement. Amerson showed the speed he can play with in 2011 when he was just out there playing ball, in 2012 he was just overthinking everything and it slowed him down. Hopefully they can get him back to just letting the game come to him. He has the physical profile, athleticism and instincts to easily be a top 5 corner in the league.

It was a hindsight report, Once a player turns out to be good you start to mysteriously find nothing but good sentiments when you re-visit his college game tape :ols: ! Sherman was slow on tape just like Amerson was slow on tape.

Honestly Amerson reminds me of Richard Sherman when he was in college, Amerson of course was a better ball hawk however Sherman was better at "Press" Coverage.

Now if Amerson turns in to Richard Sherman without the "trash talk" nonsense of course, than we'll be a lucky franchise especially with how tall/long these wide receivers are getting these days.

See, this is what I don't get at the Sherman comparison. He says Sherman is faster, but he actually timed out significantly slower in the 40. He may play faster now, but he certainly didn't while in college. And that's not just a timed speed thing, there's a reason he was a 5th rounder. He was physical, but his college tape doesn't scream future lockdown corner. I think it's more of a hindsight is 20/20 statement. Amerson showed the speed he can play with in 2011 when he was just out there playing ball, in 2012 he was just overthinking everything and it slowed him down. Hopefully they can get him back to just letting the game come to him. He has the physical profile, athleticism and instincts to easily be a top 5 corner in the league.

He isn't comparing Amerson the college prospect to Sherman the college prospect, he is comparing Amerson the college prospect to Sherman the NFL player. At that point his college tape isn't really relevant.

I don't think you guys understand the meaning of boom or bust. It means that it is a huge gap between his worse football and his best football or that he has shown high level football in short flashes. You take a guy like Ryan Kerrigan. You would call him a high ceiling guy (unlikely to bust) because he was very productive, athletic, high motor, and high character and there wasn't a big deviation in how he played game to game. year to year outside getting better as he got more experienced. Now Amerson looked like the top corner in the draft for most of 2011 but looked horrid at times in 2012, a huge disparity game to game and season to season. thats where the boom or bust tag comes from boom = 2011 Amerson bust = 2012 Amerson

See, but the correct terminology (or at least more accurate terminology) for that would be "low floor, high ceiling." That gets the point across that his style of play is dangerous, but that it also could go very well, while leaving open the possibility of a more middle of the road result.

Saying boom OR bust basically leaves only two possibilities for how he turns out, which is either league washout or #1 corner, which leaves a whole ton of unexplored territory in between.

I guess my problem with the phrase is the "or" in that it precludes a bunch of other possibilities.

This. Yes. I have thought this all along. I am convinced he was an absolute steal. Wait until we have Talib and him next year. Yes, I am absolutely convinced we will get him. He wanted to be here (why the deal with NE took so long....he held back, hoping) and signed a one year deal to that end. Our future is looking might damn good. I feel like I'm back in the early Gibbs years again. I was in college then so know that feeling well. This is gonna be a hell of a ride over the next decade; buckle up. HTTR

It was a hindsight report, Once a player turns out to be good you start to mysteriously find nothing but good sentiments when you re-visit his college game tape :ols: ! Sherman was slow on tape just like Amerson was slow on tape.

Honestly Amerson reminds me of Richard Sherman when he was in college, Amerson of course was a better ball hawk however Sherman was better at "Press" Coverage.

Now if Amerson turns in to Richard Sherman without the "trash talk" nonsense of course, than we'll be a lucky franchise especially with how tall/long these wide receivers are getting these days.

He isn't comparing Amerson the college prospect to Sherman the college prospect, he is comparing Amerson the college prospect to Sherman the NFL player. At that point his college tape isn't really relevant.

Playing style wise I would say Amerson is closer to Antonio Cromartie than Sherman.

Playing style wise I would say Amerson is closer to Antonio Cromartie than Sherman.

At first I heard a lot of people using D.Hall or Asante Samuel as examples since they get a lot of turnovers but I agree with Cromartie, that's who I've always thought of.

I've watched quite a bit of Amerson and I'm curious why you think his playing style is closer to Antonio Cromartie then Richard Sherman?

Cro plays a lot of press man and trail man and Amerson played almost exclusively off zone and some off man at NC State.

I think Amerson's physical skillset allows him the potential to play any style of defense going forward. But right now at this stage, I think he compares more to 'off' coverage style CBs then man CBs.

Which makes sense because this defense plays a lot of Cover 3 and Cover 1 with the CBs playing 'off' most of the time.

I've watched quite a bit of Amerson and I'm curious why you think his playing style is closer to Antonio Cromartie then Richard Sherman?

Cro plays a lot of press man and trail man and Amerson played almost exclusively off zone and some off man at NC State.

I think Amerson's physical skillset allows him the potential to play any style of defense going forward. But right now at this stage, I think he compares more to 'off' coverage style CBs then man CBs.

Which makes sense because this defense plays a lot of Cover 3 and Cover 1 with the CBs playing 'off' most of the time.

Well playing press vs off seems to be more of a scheme thing. When I look at Amerson I see a long athletic outside corner with great ball skills. His physical dimensions suggest that he could be very good at pressing he just wasn't asked to at the collegiate level. Playing style was a poor choice of words I meant Physically he reminds me more of cromarite than sherman. Sherman doesn't strike me as overall Athletic he is a just a big physical dude. I think Cro and Amerson are much better athletes.

Archived