Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

tech assistance-por favor! - resolved

The 12th Commandment

Resolved, thanks for the help ES!

I have a series of jpeg scans of documents (about 2500) that are comprised of the scanned files that the local humane society received from a public information request. Each sheet is it's own jpeg and I'm trying to figure out a way to combine the associated scans for each case into one file (pdf unless there is a better option). I know we'll have to look at each image and decide where one case ends and the next begins - what I'm looking for is a way to select the files and combine them into one multi-page document (or record, etc).

One major issue is that the scanned documents are not a consistent size (some of the originals were half sheets)

I'll be happy to try to explain better if that's confusing.

If you have access to Adobe Creative Suite (maybe Fedex Kinko's branch has it) there is a program called Bridge within the suite. You can select all the images (essentially what jpegs are) and have the program arrange it into a pdf file format.

Once you have it in a pdf format, you can arrange the pages in the sequence you want.

The program is mainly used for sorting through thousands of digital images, so it is accustomed to handling large amounts of (jpgs).

Hope that helps.

A pdf would be quite large with that many photos, if it's just for reference that might be good, if it's to send around, may be pretty big.

A power point maybe? Then the image size doesn't really matter, and if some images are top and bottom halves, you could scooch them up together easily.

An HTML page would be clean and easily managed, and in terms of file size, very small. You can use thumbnails or text links that open full images. It can be easily set up, and can be distributed via web or on a disc. All anyone needs to view it is any browser.

~Bang

Once you have it in a pdf format, you can arrange the pages in the sequence you want.

How difficult would it be to produce a separate multi-page file for each record? Money might be an issue but I can probably get it done within a 30 day trial. Thanks!

---------- Post added April-18th-2013 at 07:22 AM ----------

A pdf would be quite large with that many photos, if it's just for reference that might be good, if it's to send around, may be pretty big.

A power point maybe? Then the image size doesn't really matter, and if some images are top and bottom halves, you could scooch them up together easily.

An HTML page would be clean and easily managed, and in terms of file size, very small. You can use thumbnails or text links that open full images. It can be easily set up, and can be distributed via web or on a disc. All anyone needs to view it is any browser.

~Bang

I was confusing there (knew I would be somehow), what I want is a separate multi-page file for each case (or record) which would be typically be 3 or 4 pages and the ability to name that file using a case number.

Keep 'em coming, good ideas. thanks

~Bang

I could actually use this for something myself. How much HTML would I need to know or would it require Dreamweaver or some such?

Ok, you have been given 2,500 separate jpeg (image) scans of files you requested. Every scan = 1 page of document, and most documents are more than 1 page.

You want to be able to put each of the jpeg scans that go together for a single case file (i.e. 5 jpegs = case file Alpha, 7 jpegs = case file Bravo).

If this is correct, I use my iPad with the UPad app (full version $5ish) I can import photo scans onto a sheet and then export a combined group of scans as a pdf as a single file. I actually do this a lot.

However, 2,500 files is a LOT of work.

How difficult would it be to produce a separate multi-page file for each record? Money might be an issue but I can probably get it done within a 30 day trial. Thanks!

---------- Post added April-18th-2013 at 07:22 AM ----------

I was confusing there (knew I would be somehow), what I want is a separate multi-page file for each case (or record) which would be typically be 3 or 4 pages and the ability to name that file using a case number.

Keep 'em coming, good ideas. thanks

I have Adobe Acrobat X Standard, if I just open the program straight up (not by clicking a particular file), at the startup screen it gives me the option to Combine Files Into PDF, then I can simply drag and drop all the files I want to combine. Alternatively, I usually have a pdf open, then go to Tools->Pages->Insert From File when I want to combine documents.

Not sure if that is helpful or if I read your question correctly.

I have Adobe Acrobat X Standard, if I just open the program straight up (not by clicking a particular file), at the startup screen it gives me the option to Combine Files Into PDF, then I can simply drag and drop all the files I want to combine. Alternatively, I usually have a pdf open, then go to Tools->Pages->Insert From File when I want to combine documents.

Yep, seems like that would solve his issue.

The other part is sorting the 2,500 scans....dear God please let them be in order!

Very easy. Obviously saying it as someone who does it on a daily basis. But literally it's four actions: select the set of jpegs, click on the output tab, set your parameters (how many images you want per sheet), then hit save. I just tested it and it took me 1.5 minutes to generate a pdf with 100 pages/images—so I'd estimate about an hour to create at 2500 page pdf.

In the scenario you're asking, you can select the jpegs for each record and hit save it out as a pdf. Or you can generate one giant 2,500 page pdf THEN start breaking it down int separate, multi-page files.

In theory, I could help you out and I wouldn't mind because I can set it to work in the background. However, I don't know if we have a feasible way of getting me 2500 jpegs or if I'm even allowed to see your records. Also, not sure what kind of timeline you're working with.

Yep, seems like that would solve his issue.

The other part is sorting the 2,500 scans....dear God please let them be in order!

Thankfully they are :whew:. Cost will be an issue with that but I've found a freebie that seems to do the same thing, called doPDF. Not very elegant but it will do what is needed.

Thanks all, I'll post an update that it's solved in the OP.

From my end, I just tried this, and I can open jpgs directly into Acrobat and it openend as a pdf. The problem is that to merge them into one doc, you have to save the newly created individual file THEN merge into one doc. Which is not all that hard but, in this case, it must be done 2500 times before you can merge it into one pdf file.

Very easy. Obviously saying it as someone who does it on a daily basis. But literally it's four actions: select the set of jpegs, click on the output tab, set your parameters (how many images you want per sheet), then hit save. I just tested it and it took me 1.5 minutes to generate a pdf with 100 pages/images—so I'd estimate about an hour to create at 2500 page pdf.

In the scenario you're asking, you can select the jpegs for each record and hit save it out as a pdf. Or you can generate one giant 2,500 page pdf THEN start breaking it down int separate, multi-page files.

In theory, I could help you out and I wouldn't mind because I can set it to work in the background. However, I don't know if we have a feasible way of getting me 2500 jpegs or if I'm even allowed to see your records. Also, not sure what kind of timeline you're working with.

That's really awesome of you to offer! I'm not letting those old foggies of that easy though, (most of my fellow volunteers are retired) they need to make the decision on where a new file starts. I just want to provide them a tool to make compiling the files fairly easy. I think it's resolved with doPDF.

Thankfully they are :whew:. Cost will be an issue with that but I've found a freebie that seems to do the same thing, called doPDF. Not very elegant but it will do what is needed.

Thanks all, I'll post an update that it's solved in the OP.

Wow, so glad that they are in order...that would have been a monumental pain in the......well yeah.

Glad you got a freebie program that works for you, once I read through what you needed I figured most pdf maker programs would do what you need.

From my end, I just tried this, and I can open jpgs directly into Acrobat and it openend as a pdf. The problem is that to merge them into one doc, you have to save the newly created individual file THEN merge into one doc. Which is not all that hard but, in this case, it must be done 2500 times before you can merge it into one pdf file.

Yeah I was under the impression that he already has the photos saved as pdfs and just wants to combine them now. If the requirement was to both scan and combine my method would definitely be cumbersome. With a good scanner you could just separate the photos into their groups and bulk scan them, I think.

Yeah I was under the impression that he already has the photos saved as pdfs and just wants to combine them now. If the requirement was to both scan and combine my method would definitely be cumbersome. With a good scanner you could just separate the photos into their groups and bulk scan them, I think.

They are already scanned in 2500 separate jpegs and most cases involve 3 individual jpegs. What I want to do is to select those relevant 3 jpegs and compile them into a file that is only the images referencing a particular case. Selecting those images in windows explorer, right click and choosing print using doPDF as the printer and then giving the resulting 3 page pdf a name. A lot of work but doable.

They are already scanned in 2500 separate jpegs and most cases involve 3 individual jpegs. What I want to do is to select those relevant 3 jpegs and compile them into a file that is only the images referencing a particular case. Selecting those images in windows explorer, right click and choosing print using doPDF as the printer and then giving the resulting 3 page pdf a name. A lot of work but doable.

Yeah it sounds like you've got your best solution, really. With that many files it'll be a pain, and a timesuck, but when you're done you can look proudly upon your newly and gloriously organized files! Then hand them off to someone else to mess around with.

Yeah it sounds like you've got your best solution, really. With that many files it'll be a pain, and a timesuck, but when you're done you can look proudly upon your newly and gloriously organized files! Then hand them off to someone else to mess around with.

Who will never fully appreciate all the work that went into those files, and who will casually remark during a water cooler discussion that those files weren't really necessary and he deleted them about an hour after you submitted the completed work.

Who will never fully appreciate all the work that went into those files, and who will casually remark during a water cooler discussion that those files weren't really necessary and he deleted them about an hour after you submitted the completed work.

Working with non-techie people that sort of thing happens all the time. What are you gonna do? Knowing you did what was asked efficiently is it's own reward. Right? :ols:

Actually, what these files are is a record of documents relating to deaths of animals at the local shelter. It's a no kill shelter (which is awesome) but the fact there were 900 deaths over the course of 4 years has raised some alarms. I'm not going to take a side on it as I haven't been involved long enough to form my own opinion. I can, however, express an opinion that people will sadly find a way to involve egos and politics in the most altruistic of causes (a concept not lost on you I would guess).

Archived