Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Say Goodbye to Your Local Caribou Coffee? - CNN

Dan T.

:(

DC area shops are on the chopping block as the company shrinks its national footprint.

caribou.jpg

Caribou Coffee to close 80 stores, rebrand 88 others

By Jim Kavanagh, CNN

CNN

Minneapolis-based Caribou Coffee is closing 80 locations next week and plans to convert 88 others to Peet's Coffee & Tea shops within the next 18 months, the company announced Monday.

"Over the past few months, we at Caribou have revisited our business strategy, including closely evaluating our performance by market to make decisions that best position us for long-term growth," the announcement said.

As a result, 80 "underperforming" stores will close for good on Sunday.

After that, 88 other Caribou locations will become Peet's as Caribou becomes extinct or critically endangered in Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Georgia, Illinois, eastern Wisconsin and Washington.

When the purge is complete, Caribou plans to continue to operate 468 locations in Minnesota, North and South Dakota, Iowa, Kansas, western Wisconsin, North Carolina, Denver, Colorado, and 10 international markets.

Customers who have Caribou gift cards will still be able to use them at CaribouCoffee.com, the company said on Twitter. It was referring all consumer questions to the toll-free number 888-Caribou (888-227-4268).

Rest: http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/08/business/caribou-coffee-closings/index.html

---------- Post added April-9th-2013 at 11:55 AM ----------

I know some people prefer Caribou Coffee over Starbucks. I'm fine with either. The people at my local Caribou are great, though. Very friendly, and they do much to ingratiate themselves with the neighborhood - donate coffee to swim teams, organize coffee drives for U.S. military overseas, etc.

It looks like they are opening a new one on Rt.7 in Tyson's. I drive by the build out everyday.

That flies in the face of news reports that the company is largely retreating out of the Eastern Seaboard and retrenching in the Midwest. Maybe there's hope for my local outlet...

That flies in the face of news reports that the company is largely retreating out of the Eastern Seaboard and retrenching in the Midwest. Maybe there's hope for my local outlet...

They started about a month ago. Caribou logos on all 4 glass walls. I look over as traffic crawls by everyday. They are probably a couple of weeks from opening.

I also know the one in downtown Vienna is mobbed.

I can't speak for other locations but they seem to be on a growth pattern on my neck of the woods.

There's only 1 in my neck of the woods. And I've been there once. It was good coffee...better than Starbucks IMO...but not quite as good to me as DD. But I personally have a problem paying more than $2 for a cup of coffee, so I don't get it at places like that. 99.99% of my coffee consumption comes from brewing at home.

Archived