Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Twitter: Wow, Pete Prisco is an *******!

Riggo#44

This is why I think all the calls to stop RG3 running/abandon the read are so ill thought out, the scheme is so simple and yet so sound that I don't see how defences can consistently stop us if we execute properly.

Not to mention none of his injuries came on read option plays.

I always laugh when guys like him say that like it is fact when he has no idea. I bet guys like him back in the day said the forward pass was a fad and would be figured out too.

Certainly that west coast offense has been figured out too.

The problem with the read option is it exploits the unblocked defensive end, regardless of what he reads they take advantage of it. The only adjustment I can really see that makes any sense is to ALWAYS bring another linebacker around so the unblocked player always crashes down on the rb and the circling player is responsible for the qb. That could fool a qb's read, he'll keep it when the de crashes and then be met by the looping defender. Problem with that is it takes one defender from filling frontside gaps, making it easier for an rb to just follow his blocks upfield. I think this is basically what dallas did against us the 2nd game and Morris ran for 200 yards on them. And oh boy, if you call that defense every down it should lead to a massive open zone immediately near the middle for quick slants when we aren't running a read option.

Gimmick offenses are based on doing something unexpected, the defense is confused because they haven't seen tape on it before or because it masks what it is doing with a similar looking play. Wildcat didn't even last a full season as it's pretty clear that it was a run based system, you could easily identify it by formation, and short passes were almost nonexistant due to a qb not quickly getting the ball.

Because it required two players to basically be a jack-of-all-trades, a qb who effectively ran routes and caught the ball as well as an rb who could pass accurately and with good zip, it was a gimmick. You find two players who fit that billing and you could use the wildcat as a base offense, but that would almost assuredly require a farm system from high school up to train players like that. As is you have a qb, even if it were an athletic qb, who clumsily runs routes and doesn't have great hands, and you have an rb who can only complete a wobbly pass to a wide open target. It's basically like if you ran a normal offense with mike jones at wr and vince young at qb.

True, but the point was that it is not an insult, hate or bias for Priscoe to pick the Redskins to miss the playoffs next year considering RG3's currently uncertain status

Prisco picks Washington to have its worst season as a franchise in 2012 and it makes the playoffs, he knew RG3 WAS the QB.

Please don't fool yourself into thinking that Prisco has a change of heart or anything like that. He's another bull**** media member and he gets high off the fact that he can make people upset. It's not like he had a near death experience this season, the dude is saying **** to stir pots. I've talked to him several times and I don't firmly respect him as a member of the "media".

Anything that guy says should be considered with question and bias.

I'm not sure what Prisco's deal is. I know he's been on the radio downplaying the read option, saying that Griffin has to learn to be a drop back passer and the read option will be figured out.

What changes to the game should we expect in 2013?

Pete Prisco: The read option being figured out. It takes an offseason.

No, Pete. It won't be figured out. Not unless you can figure out a way to legally get 12 men on defense.

but I thought it took it took 4 games worth of tape to adjust to something. -__- This clown has no idea what he's talking about. Unless you have monster tackles and Inside backers to stop the dive with 6 the read option will kill you with a QB that can throw and run. With 7 defending the dive and 1 defending the QB you only have 3 in position to play the pass and if the QB gets the edge... if the DE is not disciplined it's an Easy 20+ yard gain. If's its the read option play action if your LBs hesitant even for a split second it's and easy completion over a gaping whole in the middle of the field . If you have 6 playing the dive and 1 playing the QB unless you have monsters in the middle there will be a free o-linemen against only 6 defenders and you will get gashed. It's a lose lose unless your defense is perfect.

Archived