OT - Wilson Kicker Converts 62-Yard PAT

My Alma Mater (DCIAA Champs 93')

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42108-2003Oct3.htm

l62-Yarder Deserves a PAT

Wilson's Rosenbaum Makes Good on 'Chip Shot' : Wilson 41, Spingarn 0

By Judith Evans and Matt Bertram

Washington Post Staff Writers

Saturday, October 4, 2003; Page D01

Faced with a 62-yard extra-point attempt yesterday, Wilson High School Coach Horace Fleming did not hesitate in giving senior David Rosenbaum the go-ahead to kick the ball. After all, the Tigers held a 40-point lead over Spingarn in the D.C. Interscholastic Athletic Association game, and Rosenbaum was partly to blame for Wilson being in this predicament.

After returning the kickoff 69 yards for a touchdown in the third quarter, Rosenbaum and his teammates incurred 15-yard penalties for excessive celebration, unsportsmanlike conduct and taunting, placing the ball at their 45. The 5-foot-11 Rosenbaum calmly stepped up and nailed the kick through the center of the uprights. Sixty-two yards, good for one point.

Wilson won the game, 41-0.

The DCIAA has not kept records of the longest kicks in league history, but Rosenbaum's kick was longer than the state record for field goals in Virginia and Maryland.

"I did it before in practice," Rosenbaum said. "I saw it as a chip shot. I have hit longer ones in practice."

But Rosebaum had never kicked the ball that far in a game. He kicked a career-long 27-yard field goal last week in a 10-3 loss to H.D. Woodson. But Fleming still had confidence in him.

"It was kind of crazy," Fleming said of the extra-point attempt. "Most of the time, you wouldn't even kick a 62-yard field goal. But it was one of those game. He has hit 60-yarders in practice. He has been kicking the ball in the end zone on kickoffs."

Rosenbaum, who will attend the University of Virginia next year on a soccer scholarship, doesn't practice every day with the Wilson football team because he plays for the Tigers' soccer squad.

"I just wish I had him full time," Rosenbaum said. "He would be my starting tailback or quarterback."

DCIAA Executive Director Allen Chin said he has never heard of a player kicking an extra point that far.

"That's something to me," he said. "I've never heard of it. Most of our players don't kick the ball. They go for conversion points. So if they do, they don't kick it that far. Its unusual."

Not even the National Federation of State High School Associations keeps records on longest extra points -- most are taken from 19 yards. If Rosenbaum's kick were a field goal, he would have shattered the Virginia and Maryland records. The longest field in Virginia stands at 58 yards. The Maryland record is 57.

Dirk Borgonone of Reno, Nev., set the national record with a 68-yard field goal in 1985.

Wilson improved to 3-1 with the victory; Spingarn is 0-2.

The kickoff return was Rosenbaum's first touchdown of the season, and Fleming was surprised Rosenbaum was simply on the field.

"I looked up and saw he was back there," Fleming said, "and I was shaking my head, wondering what he was doing back there."

Fleming said that Rosenbaum had convinced an assistant coach to give him a try at kick returner. He admits that he likes what he saw.

"I want him to continue that."

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

Four??

They have that many fans there?

Well hopefully in four year hall is still going strong and getting better with age otherwise this could be a nice story of a local kid returning home to play for his favorite team.

We still should have brought the Terps punter into camp

Originally posted by JimboDaMan

Sorry folks. You're ahead 40-0 and get penalized for excessive celebration, unsportsmanlike conduct and taunting??? In one play??? In high school??

C'mon, Jimbo,

I could see the Skins doing that. (Except for the "up by 40" part.)

Archived