Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012-2013 Fantasy Basketball Thread

Going Commando

For all things Fantasy Basketball.

-----------------------------------

**Extreme Skins FFBBall league**

I'm looking to start an ES league on ESPN and I need members.

So far it's:

- stevemcqueen1

- MLSKINS

- DCranon21

- Zhouse

- MattFancy

- skinfan2k

- Fight4RGIII

- Rules are going to probably be Head to Head: Each Category unless there is more interest in Roto format.

- Live draft or live auction the day before the season starts, which is Monday the 29th. My preference is for an auction but if people don't like the auction, draft is fine.

- Everything else will be standard ESPN format. Rosters will be standard PG, SG, SF, PF, C, Flex Guard, Flex Forward, Utility (any position). Three man bench.

I'm looking to start at least a 10 team league ideally. If we don't get most of that, the league will probably be a no go. We need the league to be reasonably active and we're probably not going to get that with a bunch of public players.

Let me know if you're interested.

i'm interested. an auction league is the best format. it is equally fair and it allows for everyone to have the opportunity to get every player they want. Draft order doesn't matter.

Head to Head Pts is the best way to do it.

I have been doing this scoring system for a while now for my leagues. i love it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/103198-fantasy-basketball-category-vs-points-based-does-a-perfect-system-exist

Can someone please explain the auction draft to me.....

Have you ever done a football auction before? If so, it works exactly the same way.

If not, it works like this:

- Every team gets 200 dollars to spend on their players.

- You have to fill all 11 spots on your roster (8 starters, 3 bench players).

- You have to spend a minimum of 1 dollar on a player.

- Everyone takes a turn nominating a player for auction.

The first guy puts a player on auction, say LeBron James. LeBron goes on the block for about 30 seconds where everyone can bid on him, whatever dollar amount you want within your 190 dollar budget (190 is the max big because you have to spend at least a dollar on each of your other ten roster spots).

It works just like a real auction, you can bid as many times as you want per player. Someone will usually bid a dollar more, then you can answer, so on and so forth until you reach a limit for what the other owners will pay for the player on the block.

When someone beats a bid within the final 10 seconds of the auction, that 10 seconds gets reset and it starts counting down again. This is to give everyone a chance to answer.

Anyway, it goes like this until you fill up your team.

There are some strategies to get the hang of. ESPN gives a suggested max dollar amount for each player which kind of sets their general value. You'll get people who will go above or below it. The challenge can be in budgeting. You want to get a lot of good players, but not spend too much on a bunch of the top players so that you're unable to get the other ones you want. You never know how much a player is going to go for. Sometimes you'll see dudes who desperately want a certain player and go way over value for them. It's part of the fun.

It's pretty easy and intuitive though, you'll get the hang of the system immediately.

The advantage of the auction is that it gives everyone a chance to get every player. It doesn't matter if you don't get a top two pick like in the draft, you can still get LeBron or Durant. You just have to be willing to spend for them.

If you want to get the hang of the system, try a mock auction. It doesn't take long at all to get a feel for it:

http://games.espn.go.com/fba/mockdraftlobby

i'm interested. an auction league is the best format. it is equally fair and it allows for everyone to have the opportunity to get every player they want. Draft order doesn't matter.

Head to Head Pts is the best way to do it.

I have been doing this scoring system for a while now for my leagues. i love it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/103198-fantasy-basketball-category-vs-points-based-does-a-perfect-system-exist

I'm open to points format, but how do you score each category?

I second the auction format, but I won't push it on anyone.

---------- Post added October-25th-2012 at 06:38 PM ----------

are you doing ESPN or yahoo?

Probably ESPN. I've done yahoo for football, not a huge difference between the websites.

I'll join.

Last year I joined a 10 team league where we each drafted 3 NBA teams, kept 13 players on those 3 teams while having to stay under a 75 million cap. This year, we all got to keep 7 players, but we were only fully guaranteed 1 of those players. The team that finished below us were allowed to knock out one player from our roster to put back in the draft. Then, we picked 6 more players from our roster to give us 7 keepers. Included in those keepers could be 1 rookie from one of the 3 original NBA teams we drafted last year. It's a bit complicated but it's pretty fun so far.

Man, that auction draft sounds sweet. I rather do that. It uses more strategy....

It's pretty awesome. I usually do auctions for both football and basketball now, hard to go back to a draft.

Its just a really dynamic format. You never know how it's going to go down. You'll be sitting there trying to drive up the price on someone you don't even want just to make the other guys spend more and you'll get stuck with that player on your roster when you go too far. That's why Chris Johnson is on a couple of my fantasy teams this year...

The absentee owners are set to autobid according to the standard values ESPN comes up with. But a lot of those values are never updated for injuries from the initial time they are set, so you can get the autobidders to pay a ton of money for Derrick Rose or Kevin Love, for example.

One of the last auctions I did had two autobidders in it. They spent all of their money right off the bat. Then about half the teams in the league stopped paying attention for a stretch of about 10-12 players and that entire line went WAY under value. The autobidders couldn't inflate the price and I just cleaned up. Then the other owners got back and prices started to skyrocket.

So crazy things like that will happen. One year I had a guy spend 180 dollars for just Dirk and Kevin Durant. He ends up hating his team and trades both of them to me for Dwyane Wade and Joe Johnson. A week or two later he ends up hating that team, then trades those guys back to me for Tim Duncan and Blake Griffin. :ols:

Needless to say, I won the league that year.

I'm guessing no one on here will be that incompetent.

I'm also guessing that John Wall is going to go way overvalue :ols:.

---------- Post added October-25th-2012 at 08:38 PM ----------

We've got 7 players now. I'm definitely going to make the league even if we don't get any more from here. If need be, I'll just make it public and we'll have three randoms to fill out a ten team league.

Gonna wait until the end of tomorrow to create the league so I can know whether to make it public or private and 10 team or 12 team. Who knows, maybe we'll get 12 from here.

Two more things:

- Do people have a preference between ESPN and Yahoo? I've got accounts at both, so it doesn't make a difference to me.

- We're going to do a Head to Head live auction format it looks like. Do people like H2H categories? Or would people rather do H2H points?

Categories is the traditional FFBBall format where you've got the 8 categories and you get a point for each one you win in your weekly matchup. Thus, if your team takes 5, your score for the week is 5-3.

Points format is where your players rack up fantasy points for certain stats and is close to fantasy football. You just go 1-0 if you win that week.

Alright I'm looking at the scoring systems for ESPN leagues and we've got two options that interest me:

- H2H points

- Season points

Season points is like Roto only for points scoring instead of category scoring. Most points scored on the season wins the league. There will literally be no trickery nor surprises. The best team will win and will be determined in absolute terms. Kind of takes the late season drama out of it though, but it looks like the most fair scoring system.

Personally, I'm intrigued by the points scoring system. I want Blake Griffin and Rondo and Dwight to actually have value commensurate with their real world value and not be bogged down by the silliness of FT % weighing the same as PPG, APG, or RPG. It doesn't even remotely come close in real life, why should it for fantasy?

Lets definitely do points scoring.

Do you all want to do H2H or Season? I like the sound of Season because I've done too many football leagues where I've been like fourth or fifth in scoring but had a 9th place record. But again, if you want to have many people with a chance late in the year and have a playoff, we have to do H2H.

League is created fellas. It's at Yahoo, which was a lot more customizable than ESPN and has a better interface for the draft:

http://basketball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/extremeskins

password: httr

League Name: Extreme Skins League

Details:

- 10 team limit

- Live Auction scheduled for Monday, Oct. 29 at 7:00 PM EST

- League begins the following day (opening day for the NBA).

- Roster size is 11. Positions are: PG, SG, SF, PF, C, Guard, Forward, UTILITY, Bench, Bench, Bench.

- Scoring format is Head to Head categories.

- Categories for scoring are: Points, Assists, Rebounds, Steals, Blocks, Field Goal %, Free Throws Made, Three Pointers Made, Assist to Turnover Ratio

- Four Team Playoff, scheduled for weeks 22 and 23 of the season.

- Trades subject to league vote, two day period for rejecting a trade.

- Two day waiver for dropped players, no limit to acquisitions or trades although the trade deadline is set at March 7th so you can't get into some chicanery before the playoffs. Dropped player list is the Yahoo list. I didn't lock the consolation bracket rosters during the playoffs. So those of us who don't make the playoffs, let's be cool about this and not drop the Kevin Durants of the NBA to try and screw up the playoffs.

-----------------------

Rosters are 8 starters with three on the bench because real teams typically go with 8 man rotations. You get a swing guard, a swing forward, and a utility player which can be anyone.

------------------------

Scoring system explained:

I decided against the points format because I couldn't make it properly penalize players for chucking and having terrible field goal percentages.

I can't accept a fantasy league where Monta Ellis is a legitimate force and Antwan Jamison would be a top player despite shooting .403 at a forward position last year. FG % matters.

So I made it categories scoring but took out FT%. Honestly, who here knows or cares what any player's FT % is? It unfairly penalizes truly dominant players like Blake Griffin, Rondo, and Dwight.

Instead of FT % we're going with assist to turnover ratio and free throws made. I chose the turnover ratio instead of just plain turnovers. It penalizes turnovers without unfairly killing point guards and dominant ball handlers for turning it over a lot more than scrubs who never dribble or pass. But it will penalize bad PG play and carelessness.

I also talked myself into using free throws made as a category. It rewards the guys who get to the line, which is tremendously valuable in real life and penalizes the guys who just settle for jumpers all the time, which are overvalued by traditional fantasy IMO. Nick Young's soft ass shouldn't be that valuable for fantasy. I don't care if Dwight Howard shoots 55% on FTs if he gets to the line so much and makes 12 of them. He's gotten half your front court into foul trouble and is providing tremendous value to his team with dominant in the paint play.

---------- Post added October-26th-2012 at 09:45 PM ----------

Come on Extreme Skins. We need three more players. Winner gets to be right about Kobe.

I think FT made is a valid category but i dont think we should have unlimited transactions a week. if someone picks up a player every day and puts him in the lineup, that sucks. Most of the time we limit player movements to 2 or 3 a week

Sounds good. I'll limit it to 3 per week.

---------- Post added October-27th-2012 at 12:19 PM ----------

Hey skinfan2k, do you know how to set up a points system that takes FG % into account? I'm not totally happy with categories. I'm still interested in having us do a points format because I think it could be the most realistic and fair, but I couldn't figure out how to punish players for chucking and shooting poorly.

I've seen one that goes -1 pt for FGA & +1 pt for FMG. And you get +1 pt for every pt scored. So a made bucket gets a net gain of 2 points and you lose 1 for missing. Do you think this would even out points to reflect FG percentages? I've never done a points league before so I don't know how this plays out.

If you think it would, I'd be fine switching us to a points format.

FG Attempted = -1

FG Made = +1

Point = +1

Rebound = +1

Assist = +1.5

Block = +3

Steal = +3

Turnover = -1

3PM = +1

Ejection/Flagrant/Technical = -2

FT Attempted = -.5

FT Made = +.75

Sent you a PM DC, that's fine. The more the merrier.

Zhouse and MattFancy, have you all joined? http://basketball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/extremeskins

league ID # 118478

password: httr

Some recap:

- Live auction is currently set for Monday at 7:00 PM EST. If several can't make that time, let me know and we'll try and find a time that works for the most people. If you have unusual hours, you're probably going to have to set your player values beforehand and autobid. The season starts on Tuesday and I wanted to get that first week of scoring in.

- Scoring is tentatively set to H2H points format with these values:

FG Attempted = -1

FG Made = +1

Point = +1

Rebound = +1

Assist = +1.5

Block = +3

Steal = +3

Turnover = -1

3PM = +1

Ejection/Flagrant/Technical = -2

FT Attempted = -.5

FT Made = +.75

We can experiment with the scoring up until the Auction, after which it is set. I'm open to suggestions for what should be scored. If several dislike the points format in general, we can go back to categories with these categories being scored: Pts, Asts, Rebs, Blks, Stls, 3PM, FTM, FG%.

If we get an odd number of teams, we'll switch from H2H points scoring to season points scoring rather than kick anyone out.

Alright, I'm in under the name. Occupy J.Wall Street.

Cool. Wasn't sure if that was you.

So far the only ones I haven't heard from are Zhouse and MattFancy. I'll keep trying them, but it's the weekend.

---------- Post added October-27th-2012 at 10:19 PM ----------

yeah the website i gave you works well. the thing is the points scored counteracts that. so if someone gets to the FT alot, it helps their -/+ and they dont lose alot of points

Good point. Gonna do a slight tweak then. FT attempt will be a -.5 and FT made will be a +.5 instead of +.75 so as to account for a slight penalty for missing a bunch of FTs. It will take that metric into account without killing Dwight, Griffin, and Rondo.

The reason I'm having to do all this +/- crap is because Yahoo doesn't have just a straight category for field goals missed or free throws missed or else I could just do -1 for misses. It's only attempts and makes that are tracked. So I have to get cute and do that little -1 for attempts thing.

I wish yahoo kept a category for double doubles and triple doubles like that article does. Be kind of cool to use those for bonus points. They are a bit arbitrary as far as stats go. A 20-9-10 game isn't really worse than a 20-10-10 game in any meaningful way, yet the latter would be worth a ton more points. But it's fun to root for. Plus over time it'd average out to give guys like Rondo, LeBron, and CP3 tremendous value (which they should have).

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the system we've got.

Guys, keep the unique scoring in mind when you plan out your teams and estimate values for auctions. Don't use traditional roto rankings for your guidelines. Those rankings will tell you Dwight, Griffin, and Rondo aren't worth your time. Our points system basically ensures those guys are probably top ten values. Big assist PGs with great turnover ratios and big time rebounders and shotblockers are absolutely worthwhile no matter their FT percentage. And keep in mind steals and blocks are three times as valuable as a rebound or a point. You can actually draft bigs who defend well and stuff the box score but don't get a ton of shots or score a ton.

Archived