Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ClickOrlando.com:Florida Republican Party leader receives hoax letter; FBI investigates

Zguy28

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Florida-Republican-Party-leader-receives-hoax-letter-FBI-investigates/-/1637132/17117694/-/acss1ez/-/index.html

TAMPA, Fla. -

The FBI is joining an investigation into bogus letters sent to many Florida residents, including the Republican Party of Florida chairman, that raise questions about their eligibility to vote...

Local 6 first reported the bogus letter scam on Monday, which claim to be from county supervisors of elections but are postmarked from Seattle. They raise questions about the voter's citizenship and appear intended to intimidate people.

This is a pretty low tactic to get people not to turn out.

Something tells me that this isn't a voter suppression attempt. It's the request to return a correction form that makes me think that this is a really sophisticated identity theft scheme. Think about it, they send you a letter saying that there is something wrong with your voter registration and that you need to sort it out before the election. So, just fill out this little piece of paper with all your personal information and send it back and everything will be spiffy. Does it have the possibility to dissuade people from voting? Yes, but my money is on identity theft as the main goal of these letters.

Something tells me that this isn't a voter suppression attempt. It's the request to return a correction form that makes me think that this is a really sophisticated identity theft scheme. Think about it, they send you a letter saying that there is something wrong with your voter registration and that you need to sort it out before the election. So, just fill out this little piece of paper with all your personal information and send it back and everything will be spiffy. Does it have the possibility to dissuade people from voting? Yes, but my money is on identity theft as the main goal of these letters.

Identity Theft?

The Democratic Party is stooping to new lows!

:evilg:

That makes a lot of sense under these circumstances.

This theory would make plenty of sense, but apparently it's only being sent to registered Republicans. I saw a piece on TV about this as well, and so far all indications are that only Republicans are getting it.

This theory would make plenty of sense, but apparently it's only being sent to registered Republicans. I saw a piece on TV about this as well, and so far all indications are that only Republicans are getting it.

That may be because the scammers got their list of names and addresses from a GOP computer. If they had hacked a Democratic computer list first, they would have chosen them.

Or not. I suspect we will find out soon.

If this is an attempt to deceive potential Republican voters, that's inexcusable.

Completely ignorant of widespread attempts to suppress Democratic voters? That's pretty lame also.

I don't watch the news often, but when I do...

Archived