Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Input needed from parents of youth athletes

Kilmer17

Well, unless you think there is a chance he is the next Buster Posey, it is unlikely to make any difference in the long run. It's up to him whether he would more enjoy the higher level of competition, or would more enjoy being the big fish in a small pond with his best friends. Either way, he is going to end up playing ball in high school and then moving on without baseball.

You'd be surprised, a lot of the focus in baseball has shifted from high school teams to tourney teams.

I coach travel soccer in WAGS & NCSL and my son also plays AAU basketball, so have some experience in this situation. IMHO, I think you want your kid to play at a level as high as possible where the following conditions are met:* they are enjoying playing the SPORT.* it is not cost prohibitive.-they are being well coached/trained.-it doesn't make them a one-dimensional kid.* the values of the coaching staff & team match your family's.* the player learns the team concept (many upper level teams are made up of "mercenaries" who jump from team to team).This is a tough decision. After having witnessed kids moving around for the past 10 years, my feeling is unless your kid is in the top .5% for his age group, he is better off playing at a good competitive level where he has friends and loves the game. I had a kid leave my Div 3 team where he played 90% of the game and had many friends on the team, to move to a Div 1 team where he gets only 20-25% of the game and is the "new outsider". If you think he's college potential, look at moving him when he's 13-15 y/o, especially if he's getting good coaching/playing time now.Good luck,PF

edit: no idea why I can't do paragraphs...sorry for crappy reading.

You'd be surprised, a lot of the focus in baseball has shifted from high school teams to tourney teams.

Oh, I know that. One of my best friends has a kid who made the all-Northern California U-15 squad last year, which makes him one of the top 250 prospects in the nation in his age group. His tourney team goes all over the country, and he may actually have a good chance of being drafted. The colleges are already angling for him.

But it doesn't sound like Kilmer is talking about that situation.

---------- Post added October-10th-2012 at 10:39 AM ----------

After having witnessed kids moving around for the past 10 years, my feeling is unless your kid is in the top .5% for his age group, he is better off playing at a good competitive level where he has friends and loves the game.

That was my take as well, assuming that is what the kid wants. On the other hand, some kids just want to go for it at the highest possible level, and if that is the case, then why not?

He has visions of a life in the pros, I have visions of a scholarship to a university where he can get an education.

They both pay a lot of money! IF one can get it.I have a good friend who was a head coach of a Div III men's soccer team. His son ended up playing for him (no scholarship). My friend & his wife tallied up their cost they spent on him playing travel soccer, camps, etc and they estimated it to be in excess of $50k.

That's true in many sports outside of football and track/XC.

Recruiting coaches can get a much better evaluation of kids playing at a higher level in a major national or regional tournament, compared to dominating the opposition in their school district. And they can see a hundred prospects over a long weekend.

They both pay a lot of money! IF one can get it.I have a good friend who was a head coach of a Div III men's soccer team. His son ended up playing for him (no scholarship). My friend & his wife tallied up their cost they spent on him playing travel soccer, camps, etc and they estimated it to be in excess of $50k.

Yeah, well that ain't happenin' here. :ols: I'd like for him to get in at a local private university

Archived